Nokia teases unveiling of new Lumia Windows Phone at May 14 event

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by runner7775 View Post

Almost no one is making money on Android phones. Samsung. That's it. Windows Phone was the right decision for Nokia. My opinion is that Nokia may very well have been dead had they chosen another route.

Do you think Nokia is making big profits off of Windows with these phones? I doubt it. The only reason they are exclusively Windows is because Microsoft paid them a large lump sum not to sell Android phones. I don't know if that exclusivity deal has a time limit or not, but if it runs out soon Nokia should add Android phones to their product line. They are about the only company large enough and with with enough name recognition left to compete with Samsung in that space. With Samsung's recent screw up with the S4 I could see than Lumia 928 running Jellybean stealing a lot of customers from Samsung. 

• Reply 22 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Do you think Nokia is making big profits off of Windows with these phones? I doubt it. The only reason they are exclusively Windows is because Microsoft paid them a large lump sum not to sell Android phones. I don't know if that exclusivity deal has a time limit or not, but if it runs out soon Nokia should add Android phones to their product line. They are about the only company large enough and with with enough name recognition left to compete with Samsung in that space. With Samsung's recent screw up with the S4 I could see than Lumia 928 running Jellybean stealing a lot of customers from Samsung. 

Nokia has seen steadily improving Lumia sales, and expects to sell 7+ million Lumias(couldn't find a source to back me up) in the coming quarter. They sell ~70% of all Windows Phone devices. I think Nokia will enjoy great benefit in the short term being the big fish in the little pond rather than the other way around in the Android market.

Several edits: To really answer your question. I don't think they'd be doing as well in the mess of Android phones out there. They might steal some of Samsung's sales, but competing against many manufactures churning bad phones at the low end would be tough. What we've seen so far is that Nokia wants customers to have a good experience at the low end too. 

• Reply 23 of 35
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattBookAir View Post

The problem with 41MP photos is the size of each image. And most of the photos we take with our phones don't really need that quality or deserve that much of our storage. I suppose it's useful if its easy to select image resolution.

Yeah, I find that with 28 MP iPhone panorama shots.

• Reply 24 of 35
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    hill60 wrote: »
    Yeah, I find that with 28 MP iPhone panorama shots.

What annoys me is when you post a panorama shot to a service that reduces the photo based on its maximum dimension. You end up with a 800x40 pixel photo.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    What's funny whenever I hear 41MP is that pro-level DSLRs (medium format cameras with giant sensors notwithstanding) gave up on the megapixel wars years ago to focus on improving high ISO, dynamic range, controls, RAW, and autofocus performance. The consumer cameras are still having a paper war of the megapixels, even though half the pixels gets washed away by JPEG compression, assuming the optics in a cell phone can focus well enough to make 41MP a meaningful, rather than a paper feature.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by runner7775 View Post

Nokia has seen steadily improving Lumia sales, and expects to sell 7+ million Lumias(couldn't find a source to back me up) in the coming quarter. They sell ~70% of all Windows Phone devices. I think Nokia will enjoy great benefit in the short term being the big fish in the little pond rather than the other way around in the Android market.

Several edits: To really answer your question. I don't think they'd be doing as well in the mess of Android phones out there. They might steal some of Samsung's sales, but competing against many manufactures churning bad phones at the low end would be tough. What we've seen so far is that Nokia wants customers to have a good experience at the low end too. 

But who cares if they have 70% or even 95% of windows phone sales. They need to worry about profits period. Windows phone may or may not gain some traction and I wasn't suggesting they drop Windows completely. I just don't understand why they can't also compete with a Lumia 928 type phone running Android as well. They do have a loyal following and the one thing you can say about Nokia is as far as voice calls they lead the pack in quality. Maybe I just don't know enough about their deal with Microsoft. Perhaps they paid them billions not to make an Android phone. But I think Nokia could give Samsung far more competition than any other maker if they chose to make an Android phone. 

• Reply 27 of 35
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

What's funny whenever I hear 41MP is that pro-level DSLRs (medium format cameras with giant sensors notwithstanding) gave up on the megapixel wars years ago to focus on improving high ISO, dynamic range, controls, RAW, and autofocus performance. The consumer cameras are still having a paper war of the megapixels, even though half the pixels gets washed away by JPEG compression, assuming the optics in a cell phone can focus well enough to make 41MP a meaningful, rather than a paper feature.

Read the reviews of their symbian phone with the same sensor --  the camera is claimed to be phenomenal. See for example 

http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/nokia-808-pureview-unlocked/4505-6452_7-35151907.html

Note that image size is not a problem -- the camera oversamples, and then produces a "usual" (5- or 8- megapixel) image.

• Reply 28 of 35
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    jdsonice wrote: »
    Hum! In competition to iPhone5? Did someone tell these folks that iPhone5 is almost a year old and soon going to be replaced by a newer version?

The only people saying this is in response to the iPhone 5 is Appleinsider, no one else
  • Reply 29 of 35
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Because shitty, blurry photos that will be posted to facebook will look so much better at 41MP. 
    Fact is, 99.999% of photos are not deserving of that resolution. And those that are (ie. pro photos) should not be taken with a camera phone in the first place. 

We're also at a point in the technology that all smartphone cameras are "good enough" for most people's needs.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

But who cares if they have 70% or even 95% of windows phone sales. They need to worry about profits period. Windows phone may or may not gain some traction and I wasn't suggesting they drop Windows completely. I just don't understand why they can't also compete with a Lumia 928 type phone running Android as well. They do have a loyal following and the one thing you can say about Nokia is as far as voice calls they lead the pack in quality. Maybe I just don't know enough about their deal with Microsoft. Perhaps they paid them billions not to make an Android phone. But I think Nokia could give Samsung far more competition than any other maker if they chose to make an Android phone. 

HTC has shown that Android can make a nice replica of Windows Mobile, as can be seen with Blinkfeed, introduced with the HTC One:-

It's especially obvious when one moves away from HTC's publicity shots before any content is added.

• Reply 31 of 35

The Lumia 928 is said to have a metal body with a 4.5-inch touchscreen, 8-megapixel camera, and wireless charging capabilities. The Lumia EOS is said to be a PureView Windows Phone with a whopping 41-megapixel camera.

Last September, before Apple unveiled the iPhone 5, Nokia took the wraps off its current flagship smartphone, the <a href="http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/09/05/nokia_unveils_lumia_920_with_45_display_pureview_camera">Lumia 920</a>. The company has since announced low-end Lumia devices intended for <a href="http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/02/22/nokia-to-target-emerging-markets-with-new-inexpensive-lumia">emerging markets</a>, but has not announced a new premium Windows Phone that will presumably serve as Nokia's response to the iPhone 5.
    41 megapixel sounds like a phone tottaly based for camera pictures, hope it has other good camera features.

gwmac wrote: »
    I take a lot of photos with my iPhone. I have a really nice Canon but it never gets used anymore. My phone is always with me but I have to remember to charge the camera battery and take it with me and many times you don't know when you will need a camera unless of course you are on vacation or some other special occasion. I wouldn't mind a hump on the back of the phone  if it meant far better photos. I realize I am probably in the minority with that but that option would appeal to me. 
    Well I would prefer for a camera like the one on the iPod T5G with it, but a bump is worth it! Yes other cameras are becoming less popular.
    drblank wrote: »
    I don't think too many people care what Nokia is doing anymore.  They certainly aren't selling many Windows phones.
    Nokia has history behind it in phones unlike apple and many androids. So they have set a scale with things like a 41 megapixel camera.

The problem with 41MP photos is the size of each image. And most of the photos we take with our phones don't really need that quality or deserve that much of our storage. I suppose it's useful if its easy to select image resolution.
    Scaling would be nice and a small 4GB(or 1/4 of whatever the memmory is.) flash drive for photos(and camera video) only would put apple into a better camera market.

gwmac wrote: »
    I have a feeling Nokia will have no choice but to eventually also offer their phones with an Android version as well. Windows phones just will not gain any traction. If this Lumia 928 were running Android I could see it stealing some sales from the Galaxy S4. 
    Windows is a different point than IOS or android but still has failed it's point and running a horrible phone OS. However I assume they already have a contract for OS.
  • Reply 32 of 35

Quote:

What I was saying earlier was sort of beside the point. I'm sure Nokia is looking towards profit first. Maybe one of the reasons they've never messed with Android at all is because they want to show complete confidence in their main OS, Windows Phone. An Android phone may make them look like they're wavering in their support.

• Reply 33 of 35
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member

Of course, but... if you select, say, 8MP images, device will downsample them from 41MP and in the process, significantly reduce noise, improve details and make whole photo looking smoother (if done right).
  • Reply 34 of 35
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    runner7775 wrote: »

This is true. They have sold 4 million smartphones during Christmas quarter and 5.6 during post-Christmas quarter, up from 2 million in Christmas quarter 2011, which is not bad result, though still laughable from iPhone or Galaxy perspective. But there seem to be a decent momentum, which is important to have (and maintain) if they hope for any long term relevance.

I don't really think they would do any better with Android. Too many players already and only top dog is getting meat off the bone. Yes Android bone is bigger than WP8 bone, but most meat from smaller bone is better than no meat from larger bone, right?
  • Reply 35 of 35

Gotta love all the competition it really pushes all the phone makers to advance and most of the time by listening to us the consumers. I really think the iphone6 whenever it comes should be a solid game changer!!!!!