Apple reportedly offering WWDC tickets to select developers after quick sell-out

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
After selling out of tickets to its Worldwide Developers Conference in less than two minutes, Apple is reportedly calling a select number of developers with a chance to purchase.

WWDC

As noted by MacRumors, Apple has been reaching out to registered members of its developer program with offers to purchase WWDC 2013 tickets after a record sellout saw all passes sell out in less than two minutes.

A tweet from Red Sweater Software's Daniel Jalkut was first to confirm Apple's move:

Apple is now calling some folks who didn?t get a WWDC ticket earlier. Not sure how many, but stay by your phone if you had tried and failed.

? Daniel Jalkut (@danielpunkass)

Other developers have tweeted or posted on their personal blogs that Apple is contacting these people directly with ticket offers. It is unknown how many developers are part of the second chance campaign.

For those who didn't get a chance to purchase ticket and failed to receive a call from Apple, the company will be making video recordings of all WWDC 2013 session available online to registered developers.

WWDC 2013 will take place between June 10 through 14 at Moscone West in San Francisco, Calif. In an unprecedented move, Apple plans to reveal both iOS 7 and OS X 10.9 at the conference, with beta builds of the pre-release software set to be provided to developers at that time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    On a unrelated note, first time I saw the logo, nice look. A change from the usual.
  • Reply 2 of 50
    juiljuil Posts: 75member

Yeah the logo is some kind of stack of app’s icons viewed from above... I wonder if that’s a glimpse into the not to distant future of iOS/OsX 

• Reply 3 of 50
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Wonder what Scott Forstall thinks of WWDC selling out in 2 minutes? ;)
  • Reply 4 of 50
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member
    Some thing it has to do with John Ivy taking over and flattening the overall look of iOS.. Others think the mirror'd WWDC is reflective of new AirPlay features and tech.. others think this is kind of like the the different colors of phones they may offer..

Who knows.. they always put some hidden hint in the logo every year. lol
  • Reply 5 of 50
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    Time to split iOS and Mac OS into two separate events.
  • Reply 6 of 50
    rhyde wrote: »
    Time to split iOS and Mac OS into two separate events.
    Could iOS & MAC OS ever be 1 and the same?
  • Reply 7 of 50
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Everett Ruess View Post

Could iOS & MAC OS ever be 1 and the same?

I sure hope not.

• Reply 8 of 50
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrayven View Post

Some thing it has to do with John Ivy taking over and flattening the overall look of iOS.. Others think the mirror'd WWDC is reflective of new AirPlay features and tech.. others think this is kind of like the the different colors of phones they may offer..

Who knows.. they always put some hidden hint in the logo every year. lol

Who's John Ivy?

• Reply 9 of 50
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I wonder how WS will spin this negatively: Apple begging developers to come to conference.
  • Reply 10 of 50
    They're not reaching out to "select developers". A number of people's purchases failed with an error message on the last step of the transaction, after they had added the ticket to their cart and entered their payment info. Apple's contacting those people and allowing them to complete the purchase.
  • Reply 11 of 50

Good of Apple to do this. It should assuage those let down and frustrated by the system failure.

• Reply 12 of 50

Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

…the system failure.

How did the system fail? The system worked perfectly, otherwise it wouldn't have been sold out.

• Reply 13 of 50
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Who's John Ivy?

I think he's friends with Jeb Stevos.
  • Reply 14 of 50
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    OS X and iOS are by design intended for different target platforms. Stop dreaming about a merging of the two. They were designed, from the get go, to split above the kernel.
  • Reply 15 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juil View Post

Yeah the logo is some kind of stack of app’s icons viewed from above... I wonder if that’s a glimpse into the not to distant future of iOS/OsX 

Go Launchpad!

• Reply 16 of 50
    astrosmash wrote: »
    They're not reaching out to "select developers". A number of people's purchases failed with an error message on the last step of the transaction, after they had added the ticket to their cart and entered their payment info. Apple's contacting those people and allowing them to complete the purchase.

If so, that's really great. I hope it's not a 'select' group that is on some secret 'A' list.
  • Reply 17 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How did the system fail? The system worked perfectly, otherwise it wouldn't have been sold out.

Because the system crashed in the middle of purchases!!!  Then Apple had to manually call people up to reinstate their cart and purchase.  So in reality, they never sold out in 68 seconds.  It just took 68 seconds for the system to grind to a halt.  I suspect the last ticket was sold via telephone much later in the day.

Not to mention, ticket activations were down most of the day.

So not as perfect as you might think!

• Reply 18 of 50
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    boborama wrote: »
    Because the system crashed in the middle of purchases!!!  Then Apple had to manually call people up to reinstate their cart and purchase.  So in reality, they never sold out in 68 seconds.  It just took 68 seconds for the system to grind to a halt.  I suspect the last ticket was sold via telephone much later in the day.

Not to mention, ticket activations were down most of the day.

So not as perfect as you might think!

I agree with the system having faults but I don't think one can reasonably say it didn't sell out since those people who were set in the cart are still being picked, presumably by their timestamps.

Also note that the call only informs them, and they'll get an email and 12 hours to complete the purchase. Whatever number they didn't complete in that time are surely there more than enough people within that first two minutes to fill the remains seats.
  • Reply 19 of 50

Originally Posted by boborama View Post

So in reality, they never sold out in 68 seconds.

See that image at the top of the page? Looks like they sold out. The article also pitches this as a "second round" of ticket sales, due to the quick sellout.

• Reply 20 of 50
    juil wrote: »
    Looks like jiggle app mode.
    Maybe his system failed?

Go Launchpad!
    It is nice but seems it good be betterly integrated.