Apple's MacBook Pro named 'Best Performing Windows Laptop' by IT company

Comments

• Reply 41 of 74
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

True, but the most interesting thing about Soluto's results was the price/performance ratio:  the second-best performer was only behind by 0.07 on the Soluto score, but cost just a tad over 1/3 the price.

Your point about the initial purchase price is correct. What you neglect to mention is that TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) can get substantial over the life of a laptop depending on reliability. Also the price difference is small when looked at the life of the machine.

Lets compare price difference from a different perspective. Assume 3 years before replacement (depends on the company of course some are shorter cycle). The $770 initial purchase price difference (for the 2nd Best) amounts to $21 a month or about $1 dollar a work day. I dare say that the frustration metric Soluto has tried to measure and apply here is worth much more than the initial outlay of $1 a day to most business folks -- hell to anyone that uses their computer regularly.

Also I think you will find the resale value after 1,2 and 3 years doesn't compare favorably for the Wintel products either. I have not seen a study but empirically I would say that the MBP has a higher value when it comes time to sell or if it is a family computer it is something that might take a different role in the household ecosystem whereas the plastic case PC's with screens that fail (and typically are much poorer quality) are much more likely to be head for the recycle company or the spare parts pile at your house. Its much like owning a BMW or even a Honda versus a Ford or Buick (except I would not keep the Ford or Buick unless I wanted to build an art car or sell it for a crash test).

My experience (I can't quote a study but there have been several articles about same) is that the support staff required for Wintel products by most accounts is substantially more as they are constantly fixing crashed machines, fighting malware, installing software that a non-tech user might not ever get right.

I made my choice long ago and although I have built computers (including an IMSAI -- can anyone say Global Thermonuclear War) of various types and used more OS's than I have fingers and toes to count I found the Mac the most satisfying and least frustrating. (I have to admit in the earliest of days I did modify a 128K to make it a 512K and later swapped processors on my Mac Plus as well and hacking it to accept 4M RAM but that was fun).

The other thing I find interesting is this is not the first outfit to say that the MBP was the best PC World made a similar claim for different reasons (and boy did that generate some lively discussion).

• Reply 42 of 74
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

I still believe that it is very stupid to buy a MBP 13". Sorry

It makes sense against Windows Machines, since they are all bad or copies of something better, but against a macbook air or retina 13"?

The pro 13" in that form factor will die, very soon. People just like the power of those 3 letters: Pro.

• Reply 43 of 74
    a_hnaua_hnau Posts: 26member

Totally agree with the earlier post about starting to use Apple products and realising what a waste of time a career in supporting Windows is. Reinstalling my own Windows setup every six months was fun when I was young and had time to waste - now I have a life and my Mac setup 'just works', lol.

• Reply 44 of 74

I'll take 3 number 2's, an order of fries, and a diet Coke to go.

Seriously, my Alienware (Dell) had no bloatware on it, but it is a heavy $3000 plus gaming laptop. Apples and oranges, I guess.

• Reply 45 of 74
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member

With Macs able to run Windows, who needs Mac OS?  Maybe one day those IT admins will get the idea to require that if any employee wants to have a Mac, the Mac must run Windows natively (Bootcamp) and have only Windows installed.  Also, there are many ways to configure Windows servers to prevent Macs from connecting.

Another good strategy is for IT directors to become good buddies with the CEO and other C-level executives.  That will make it easier for IT to carry out their agendas and prevent Macs from creeping into the company.

• Reply 46 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

With Macs able to run Windows, who needs Mac OS?  Maybe one day those IT admins will get the idea to require that if any employee wants to have a Mac, the Mac must run Windows natively (Bootcamp) and have only Windows installed.  Also, there are many ways to configure Windows servers to prevent Macs from connecting.

Another good strategy is for IT directors to become good buddies with the CEO and other C-level executives.  That will make it easier for IT to carry out their agendas and prevent Macs from creeping into the company.

Again, I have to ask:

Why would anyone want to install and run a highly defective product like Microsoft Windows on a high-quality machine like a Mac?  

• Reply 47 of 74
    old-wizold-wiz Posts: 194member
    When I owned a windows machine, it was always a huge pain to try to get rid of the bloatware that slowed everything down. You couldn't even re-install the OS since the restore partition included the bloatware. The bloatware kept the cost of the system down, but made a mess of the user experience.
  • Reply 48 of 74

Not liking Win 7 on Parallels on my Mac Pro. Very annoying - would anyone recommend switching to VMware? God that would be a huge PITA - don't know why I bother with windows anymore - mainly to see how f*cked my web sites look on IE - so fun.

• Reply 49 of 74
    mikeb85mikeb85 Posts: 506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kharvel View Post

Again, I have to ask:

Why would anyone want to install and run a highly defective product like Microsoft Windows on a high-quality machine like a Mac?  

Agreed.  OSX is better than Windows, as is nearly every flavour of Linux.  

• Reply 50 of 74
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 51 of 74
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    macrulez wrote: »
    my Macs have had failure rates roughly on par with my Dell, Asus, and HP machines.  I like my Macs (I'm typing on one now)

Totally believable. I guess that invalidates everyone else's experiences then. Move along people nothing to see here. Turns out that Macs are no better after all.
  • Reply 52 of 74
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Totally believable. I guess that invalidates everyone else's experiences then. Move along people nothing to see here. Turns out that Macs are no better after all.

You need to consider the source, too.

Extremely objective.

• Reply 53 of 74
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Actually, it IS totally believable, at least from where I sit. I don't want to get into it again, but toward the end of last year I itemized the Apple device failures I've experienced in the just under five years I've been using them. People here said my experience was atypical so I'll assume that's true, but in MY case the percentage of failed devices and mean time between failures is actually worse than it was with our old Sony/Linksys setup. That doesn't mean I've quit buying Apple products, but I have quit expecting them to be more reliable.

• Reply 54 of 74
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    mikeb85 wrote: »
    OSX is better than Windows, as is nearly every flavour of Linux.

"OSX, because making UNIX user friendly is easier than debugging windows."
    v5v wrote: »
    Actually, it IS totally believable, at least from where I sit. I don't want to get into it again, but toward the end of last year I itemized the Apple device failures I've experienced in the just under five years I've been using them. People here said my experience was atypical so I'll assume that's true, but in MY case the percentage of failed devices and mean time between failures is actually worse than it was with our old Sony/Linksys setup. That doesn't mean I've quit buying Apple products, but I have quit expecting them to be more reliable.

In my case Apple has a failure rate of 100% vs all other vendors as I only use products from Apple ¡
  • Reply 55 of 74
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

In my case Apple has a failure rate of 100% vs all other vendors as I only use products from Apple ¡

LOL!

I think you were in on the discussion in which I provided the details, so you know I'm not just Apple bashing. It's anyone's guess whether our experience is the result of bad luck, how we use (abuse?) our devices or an indication of relative tolerances, but the fact remains that we have not enjoyed the kind of reliability others report. Of course, that's only one of several considerations when evaluating overall satisfaction though, so I'm still happier using Apple products than what we had before.

• Reply 56 of 74

deleted

• Reply 57 of 74
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    You're on the wrong forum.

Actually...
    Any personal experience which depicts Apple as run by magic unicorns who make magic products that never break (the millions of posts at support.apple.com notwithstanding) is perfectly valid, but any personal experience which depicts Apple as making products merely on par with other companies is Satanic and should be summarily dismissed.

Not quite, your anecdotes just have no credibility in light of your post history.
    If you're looking for reasonable discussion, you'll do better at The Verge, MacRumors, CultOfMac, 9to5Mac, or pretty much any other venue.  AI is just an Orwellian hate theater for extremists.

Ok, cheerio then. Those first 2000 comments must have been torture for you, how (and why) have you endured the extremist hate theater this long? You shouldn't make another post here, run, save yourself!
  • Reply 58 of 74
    That report's ridiculous. First of all, you're comparing a clean Windows install to an OEM install. The OEM install is going to be at all sorts of disadvantages here. You'd also have to buy the Windows license for the Mac, while it comes with the others. Also, these laptops aren't spec-matched - The Carbon uses a ULV processor,and is probably far lighter than any Macbook Pro (it's probably better compared to an Air).

Also: I find it absolutely hilarious that the Aspire E1-571 came in only 0.07 points behind - but it's less than half the price and is quite less powerful (CPU-wise) than the Macbook Pro at that configuration price (They can come with a Core i5, but at that price, they come with a Core i3). Just shows you how bad of a value preposition Macs are.

sflocal: That's actually the opposite of my experience. I've attempted to support machines that use Parallels in OS X to start up a copy Windows. They're a mess to fix - files, for no reason, "disappear" (as in, they've somehow been saved in the virtual drive instead of the outside drive), virtual connections occasionally break, refuse to bind to the right adapter, or will bind to an adapter that's not up (and screw up the internet connection as a result).

Meanwhile, the Windows machines running Windows 2000 run perfectly well.
  • Reply 59 of 74

deleted

• Reply 60 of 74
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

I enjoy this place for the entertainment it provides.

But that's it.

You couldn't care less about the discussion, you couldn't care less about the topics, you couldn't care less about the people, you couldn't care less about the platform, you couldn't care less about the products, and you couldn't care less about the company.

What right do you have to be here?