Tim Cook's coffee date crushes records with $560,000 bid for charity [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Bidding is still open for a coffee break with Apple CEO Tim Cook, but it will cost interested parties at least a half-million dollars to get into the running [updated]

charity case

Update: The bidding price nearly doubled Friday morning, crossing the half-million-dollar mark and reaching $560,000. As of 10:55 a.m., the leading bidder was Clearcrate.com.

This week saw the launch of an offer on Charitybuzz for a winning bidder to get a half-hour to an hour's time spent having coffee with the Apple chief. While the offer had an initial estimated value of $50,000, bidding so far has blown past that, with the current top bid now $295,000.

The offer for coffee with Cook still has 18 days left until bidding closes, but it has already broken the record for the site's largest charity auction ever. It's outstripped the previous record holder ? for the chance to spend a day with former president Bill Clinton ? by $40,000 so far.

Proceeds for the auction will go toward The RFK Center for Justice and Human Rights. Bid prices do not include travel and accommodations.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    I would say this is a strong vote of confidence in Tim Cook that many people with deep pockets approve of his leadership of Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 55
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Does this price include sugar?
  • Reply 3 of 55
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    This article is so behind....

Current Bid: $505,000 (75 bids)
  • Reply 4 of 55
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    edit: Article adjusted.
  • Reply 5 of 55
    brutus009brutus009 Posts: 356member

I imagine two scenarios where an individual can justify this kind of money for time with Cook:

1. An entrepreneur with a good idea and deep pockets.

2. A philanthropist with deep pockets and an appreciation for Apple.

Can anyone think of other scenarios?

• Reply 6 of 55
    jpvnjpvn Posts: 40member
    Yes, someone that bought a lot of aapl stock at $700.00
  • Reply 7 of 55
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member

Did you see what other celebrities are getting on that site? They're getting bids below the expected value. LOL! Tim Cook is obviously worth at least $300,000 per hour. 

• Reply 8 of 55
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by jpvn View Post

That's pretty funny. image

You realize griping shareholders are going to be screened out of this meeting, yeah? No way would Cook waste his time with them, nor should he.

• Reply 9 of 55
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

This reminds me of storage wars. I never understood why some people would even bother to bid really low amounts at the beginning of an auction, when they know that there is a 100% chance that the item will never go for that low of a price. It seems like a waste of time. Did anybody truly believe that this Tim Cook auction would go for $5,000? image

• Reply 10 of 55
    see flatsee flat Posts: 145member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpvn View Post

Or someone that bought stock at 70$ and is very happy to give to charity while counting his blessings.

• Reply 11 of 55
    brutus009 wrote: »
    I imagine two scenarios where an individual can justify this kind of money for time with Cook:

1. An entrepreneur with a good idea and deep pockets.
    2. A philanthropist with deep pockets and an appreciation for Apple.

Can anyone think of other scenarios?

How about anyone who has this kind of excess money at their disposal doesn't have to think twice about spending it?
  • Reply 12 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's pretty funny. image

You realize griping shareholders are going to be screened out of this meeting, yeah? No way would Cook waste his time with them, nor should he.

I believe he is doing this for charity and will spend whatever time he has too with whomever wins the bid.

The reason the auction is for 30 minutes to 1 hour with Cook, is specifically for this reason. A douche will get 30 minutes, a reasonable person will get 60 minutes.

Or I hope for his sakes as it seems this might reach a million before it's over.

• Reply 13 of 55
    dnd0psdnd0ps Posts: 253member

I wouldn't be surprised if Larry Page or Samsung's CEO appeared.

• Reply 14 of 55
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by See Flat View Post

…whomever wins the bid.

Originally Posted by CharityBuzz

Winning bidder and guest(s) subject to security screening. We expect all winning bidders and their guests to conduct themselves appropriately when attending an experience won at Charitybuzz. Polite manners and respect for the generous donor and adherence to any rules or parameters are a must.

• Reply 15 of 55
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member

Free coffee refills I'd hope. And baked goods, yeah, that too!

• Reply 16 of 55

Or people whose tax rates are obviously too low if they have that kind of money to throw around ...
  • Reply 17 of 55
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I wonder how much this would go for if Steve Jobs was also the with Tim and Jony controlling Steve like in [I]Weekend At Bernie's[/I].

[I]Too soon?[/I]
  • Reply 18 of 55

At 8:14am PST, $560,000 for 30 minutes of time works out to $1,120,000/hour. They are slowly approaching Tim's real hourly wage ;)

• Reply 19 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharityBuzz

Winning bidder and guest(s) subject to security screening. We expect all winning bidders and their guests to conduct themselves appropriately when attending an experience won at Charitybuzz. Polite manners and respect for the generous donor and adherence to any rules or parameters are a must.

I assumed that meant terrorists and psychopaths. Not just unhappy shareholders.

• Reply 20 of 55

Hey Tim,

I've got this brand new idea for a cool watch...