Windows 8 tablets grab 7% of shipments, Apple's iPad still controls nearly half

Comments

• Reply 101 of 141

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You're absolutely joking, right? You've noticed the 90% marketshare the iPad has, yeah?

I'm referring to this chart that says otherwise. What are you looking at?

Quote:

Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

I really feel the true success for the iPod was a hit from multiple angles. A) iTunes Store caught on for purchasing music from home. B) Gift Cars were an easy gift to go along with that. C) iPod prices ranged from 99 to 499, which made even the cheapest iPod obtainable to just about anyone. 

The iPad is too expensive for a lot of consumers. Not everyone makes enough money to justify blowing 500 on a tablet. I'm not saying Apple should lower their iPad prices or make cheaper iPads, but that definitely was a huge key to the iPod dominating that market. 

I think Apple's game plan here was studied by all the envious competitors and they pounced when the iPad was released. They didn't want to run with their own ideas as much as borrow, cough, cough steal, cough, from Apple's vision.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Iterating so quickly... The iPod was updated once a year. How is that faster than the iPad? Three models of the iPod were released before the iPod mini - after three years of being on the market. Same with the iPad.

It's not playing out the same way because portable digital media players are not computers - they were basically dedicated devices for listening to music, then other types of media. The computer market is a MUCH LARGER market, so everyone and their brother is throwing devices on the market especially since they can get a halfway decent OS for free.

Real world statistics show that the iPad is way ahead of where the iPod ever was and arrived there a lot sooner.

I thought about the pace right after posting my last comment. The pace was relentless compared to competitors. As I mention above the pace of releases is part of the game plan that Apple developed. The iPad arrives in a world where annual releases doesn't outpace the others. In a relative sense it's as fast as anyone else. The iPod, in a relative sense, released so much faster. The iteration cycle, with substantial updates, has shortened considerably. I'd consider that pace an innovation from Jobs, too.

• Reply 102 of 141
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

I'm referring to this chart that says otherwise.

The chart shows sales figures for that specific quarter. It does not account for devices already in the field PRIOR TO that quarter. Adding up all the tablets ever sold from every manufacturer, Apple's overall share is much higher. The figures in the chart show a healthy number of Android units selling in that particular three month period, but it still has a long way to go to catch up to Apple.

• Reply 103 of 141
    jfanning wrote: »
    As the Kindle doesn't include Google Play it is not an Android tablet, please provide proof to backup your claim
    The Amazon Kindle run a forked version of Android, that's just a fact
  • Reply 104 of 141
    512ke wrote: »
    Everything the average user wants is on android tablets for less money than an iPad.

It's no mystery why Android is repeating the whole Mac vs PC thing. We're seeing iOS decline just as Mac OS declined back in the day of Windows 95.

Everything the average users wants is a iPad
  • Reply 105 of 141
    I am a little surprised at 3 million tablets in the 1st quarter, since basically no one got the RT tablet and the Intel tablet came in mid-quarter.

That's almost as many windows tablets as macs!

Dudes, is Microsoft cannibalizing MacBook sales?
  • Reply 106 of 141
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

Quote:

Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

I really feel the true success for the iPod was a hit from multiple angles. A) iTunes Store caught on for purchasing music from home. B) Gift Cars were an easy gift to go along with that. C) iPod prices ranged from 99 to 499, which made even the cheapest iPod obtainable to just about anyone. 

The iPad is too expensive for a lot of consumers. Not everyone makes enough money to justify blowing 500 on a tablet. I'm not saying Apple should lower their iPad prices or make cheaper iPads, but that definitely was a huge key to the iPod dominating that market. 

Seems like the android tablet is stealing the iPod strategy (C):  you can get one from prices ranged from 99 to 499

• Reply 107 of 141
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ipen wrote: »
    Seems like the android tablet is stealing the iPod strategy (C):  you can get one from prices ranged from 99 to 499

The iPod strategy was to sell a quality device along many price points. Vendor using Android are doing what vendors using Windows have done for decades, they are competing on price, not on quality or usability.
  • Reply 108 of 141
    solipsismx wrote: »
    The iPod strategy was to sell a quality device along many price points. Vendor using Android are doing what vendors using Windows have done for decades, they are competing on price, not on quality or usability.

O'really... Walmart and quality doesn't sound like peanut butter and jelly. Are those tabs two aisles across from the Hasbro toys?:-)
  • Reply 109 of 141
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by SCProfessor View Post

O'really... Walmart and quality doesn't sound like peanut butter and jelly. Are those tabs two aisles across from the Hasbro toys?:-)

I understand that these are words, but I don't know what they have to do with anything here, right now, on Earth.

• Reply 110 of 141
    v5v wrote: »
    How? Unless you supplied your age, income, place of residence and occupation when you bought your tablet, where is an analytics company going to get that information?

Did you supply what TV shows you planned to watch when you bought your TV? No? Then where is an analytics company like Nielsen going to get that information?
  • Reply 111 of 141
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Did you supply what TV shows you planned to watch when you bought your TV? No? Then where is an analytics company like Nielsen going to get that information?

There's a Nielson equivalent for tablet use? Cool! How do they attach the box to the device? image

• Reply 112 of 141
    v5v wrote: »
    There's a Nielson equivalent for tablet use? Cool! How do they attach the box to the device? :)

It's wireless!
  • Reply 113 of 141
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    mrallister wrote: »
    Everything the average users wants is a iPad

That would be average Apple user. Average user, in general, wants anything that will work for one's needs. Which, for average user, is pretty much anything current.
  • Reply 114 of 141
    poksi wrote: »
    I write apps for iPad. Above other for mobile payment terminals, business reporting. I personally, as a user, Use it to access company databases, CRM and ERP, then I use it for fun as accessory when playing guitar. 

However, this doesn't have much to do with the post you replied to. Even if I just play: why buying Android tablet for little less money than iPad? Please, explain if you think you know.

And why not? They will do things average user needs them to do. At this stage, unless average user needs specific app that does not exist on Android, they will do well. This is my opinion, of course - I've read yours and I'll come back to that in one of following posts. Of those more informed, some might like accurate digitiser some Android tablets have. Some might like that Flash is still there. Some might simply like brand - because they already have something from Samsung, Asus, Acer... and it work(ed) well for them.
  • Reply 115 of 141
    I completely agree that transferring from device to device is frustrating. Putting everything into one device is bad idea. Microsoft style. Apple rather made first reallz usable cloud solution where could makes apps talk to each other, not just storing data. They add new apps every now and then and I expect Xcode to be fully integrated with it as well in a short time. Bu even now: entertainment, office and productivity application from Apple are all seamlessly integrated and I fell like having one computer in different forms. It is typical of Apple:until they figure out how to make it right, they don't make it at all. MS is vice a versa story.

That is well argumented opinion.

I know that Apple's integrations work fine, in general. SkyDrive is getting better in cross-device collaboration, but I am not using iCloud so I cannot compare. But there is a missing link still, if user has Windows machine at home or at work, or both... and many do. There are no Pages on PC (and other iWork apps). And there is no Office on iPad.

Much as I trialled Win 8 Pro tablet, I liked experience. For a week I was using it at home and I (almost) completely ignored classic desktop, using it with only Modern GUI and apps. Classic didn't get in a way. I was able to find Modern app for my every need, modest as they might be. Only time I used Classic was to open Windows Explorer and browse for some comics and TV shows from my home server... though I found later a few Modern file managers, so even that was not required. My wife also used it once in Classic to read through and add some comments to one of her student's paper (in Word) and was happy with that. Tablet had accurate digitiser pen with right-click button, but we both find using Classic desktop with fingers acceptable, if not perfect.

I wouldn't like Windows 7-esque tablet with classic desktop only, but as long as tablet is fully functional in tablet-happy mode and still has additional benefit of desktop compatibility, I'm happy with that. This is my personal preference. Yours might differ, but I'm sure I'm not the only one. Thus increase of Windows tablets.
  • Reply 116 of 141
    Ridiculous. That is your presumption. I haven't even commented on Android until I started to develop on it. I just make comparison from all angles. I don't hate Android or anything else in the world for that matter. I just simply state and put arguments when claiming WHY I think Android tablet is crap. It doesn't have much to do with Samsung, of course.

However, so far, I haven't been given any smart argument on my postings from you, so should you be taken seriously?

Hey, don't shoot the messenger. Saying something like "For me the end of usage of Android table starts when I swipe the screen and the latest monster model "coughs" when sliding almost empty screen with windows 3.11 - like icons" sounds heavily biased. And why:

Like I said, I have first gen Asus Transformer. I'd like to think I am not biased as it was not my choice - was a gift - and I'm not planning to get another Android, be it phone or tablet. But... while it came choppy-as-hell with Android 3.x, to the level of really uncomfortable to use, it did improve significantly with Android 4. Surely sliding lock and swiping through desktop pages is not choppy any more and tablet doesn't "cough". Likewise apps I use - FB, email, maps, weather, NZ Herald among others. I don't know if they are as smooth as iPad - probably not - but the thing is, they have reached level of smoothness where it doesn't matter any more, except for scroll peepers. Browser does get overworked on Flash pages with moderate and above Flash content, but flash can be fully disabled or put on demand.

And what is this about icons like Windows 3.11..?

Mind you, this is Tegra 2 tablet and there is yet no Android 4.1 or 4.2 - it is still sitting on 4.03 I think. Are you telling me that new ones are not any better? I'm finding it hard to believe.
  • Reply 117 of 141
    iWork. Why would I want Office?

For a lot of people, it is question of "need", not "want".

As of why would you want or need it, I cannot answer. If you say you don't either, well, good on you.
  • Reply 118 of 141
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

I still want to know who is actually using all those Android tablets. With phones, you could always argue people just use them as feature phones to explain the 100's of million of missing phones in use but with tablets??? That just does not make sense to me.

Android tablets still have a lot of features that aren't available on iOS. File-managers that not only access the local data but are able to mount home and work servers, Unix and Windows systems alike. Android also has support for a lot more media codecs, I for one trans-code all of my DVDs and Blue-ray's to Divx, store them on a NAS that is accessible anywhere in the world. I can then stream the media on a TV using DLNA. I can use my Android tablet as a wireless storage device and web-server with PHP for development that can be accessed by any computer. I for one have both a iPad and a Asus Infinity, the kids use the iPad the most for their games but I love the music creation apps and the accessories that go with it like the iO Dock from Alesis for my MIDI keyboard. The Asus is for work as I can mount the server and I really like Polaris Office not to mention sharing content is a lot better on Android due to apps being able to talk to each other. Example: Skydrive or Evernote is accessible in every app that produces content for easy upload and sharing, apps like Photoshop Touch can access any of the four cloud storage services I have directly including mounted work servers where I keep my web gifs and jpegs. iOS is a pain getting work related files to it.

• Reply 119 of 141
    Ok, I'll play. I value businesses on my iPad. Happy to give you the name of the app that does it.

What "serious" things do you do with your computing devices?

I have no reason not to believe you, but out of curiosity I don't mind to learn more about that app.

We provide remote support and monitoring to all our customers under SLA through Kaseya software. with Windows Pro on customers' machines, most problems can be fixed remotely, without need to send engineer onsite or ask customer's employee to bring device in. Kaseya for mobile devices, last time we checked, wasn't fully featured.

We use ConnectWise for tickets logging and resolution, as well as for employees' time management. There is CW client for android and iOS, but again - not fully featured.

We do projects and implementation for customers' networks with IBM servers, HP desktops and laptops, Microsoft server and desktop software and services. Projects are usually formed in Office docs, some MS Visio and MS Project software, all requiring Windows Pro platform. Windows RT is the only ARM platform that could be used for some of those, but no thanks.

We use SonicWALL firewalls as standard firewall solution, and for secure remote access we use SonicWALL Aventail. We were using Safeword tokens for secure authentication before, but customers were looking for more affordable solution and simplier solution so we have selected Yubico tokens instead. Bad side? Device from which you want to access corporate network must have full size USB port. There are other requirements (browser plugins etc) that might or might not be available on ARM tablets - this is not my speciality - but Win Pro tablets are simplest to implement this.

We also use IT Quoter which is linked to all our suppliers' price lists and stock levels, so we can easily find cheapest and in-stock product. I'm not aware that this software works on anything but Windows desktop.

We use Outlook as standard for emails, calendar, contacts, though ConnectWise calendar also syncs with Exchange.

We also use Lync, CorelDraw for simple design work (newsletters, business cards and other stuff we do inhouse).

Among other things.
  • Reply 120 of 141
    philboogie wrote: »
    Sorry for not being clear; what I meant: if you're managing a MS environment I presume the best tool would come from MS as well.

It does make life easier.