IDC: Apple's iPhone sheds marketshare as smartphones out-ship feature phones for first time

Comments

• Reply 41 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Except 1. No, and 2. The Mac is over 10 percent of the market (over 15 in the US and western countries). It's not 1999 anymore.

Not true.

According to IDC and Gartner, Mac computer sales (not including iPad, but your post states "The Mac") account for either 10% of the US market (IDC) or 11.6% (Gartner).

Globally, Apple isn't in the top 5 of PC vendors and has a marketshare of around 5-6%.

Of course, Apple might have 15% market share in other countries - I'd suspect Denmark and Norway might be around 15% apple, but i'm not too sure, and there don't appear to be statistics on those countries available online.

• Reply 42 of 71
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

1. I see the example of a superior device selling less units than an average device was lost on you.

2. Who said anything about iOS, Mac, Blackberry, or Apple?

Yeah I got your "logic". And who said anything about iOS, Mac, Blackberry or Apple. I did. If you are looking for the motoring forum, you are in the wrong place.

• Reply 43 of 71
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

This just in:

Ferrari are crap because they sold less units than Ford.

Except that Ferraris aren't superior products. They're just expensive, not better. Motorweek said the 458 Italia was the first Ferrari they've ever tested that didn't have interior bits falling off during the test and fit and finish problems abound. That's superior? Ford GT had no such problems and outran the Ferrari 430, which was its competition at the time, for less money. Besides, they're not practical at all. But I digress...

I will say that despite my needs for a larger screen, I'll be probably upgrading to the iPhone 5 soon. I was waiting for a possible June launch but apparently it was in vane... It's just a better phone all around. I had 2 coworkers messing with their Samsung Galaxies, one trying to help the other figure it out and get something working. I showed them how simple the iPhone was compared to the Android phones and they were astonished. Nothing is hidden. Nothing is hard to get to. It's all right there for you.

• Reply 44 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

Except that Ferraris aren't superior products. They're just expensive, not better. Motorweek said the 458 Italia was the first Ferrari they've ever tested that didn't have interior bits falling off during the test and fit and finish problems abound. That's superior? Ford GT had no such problems and outran the Ferrari 430, which was its competition at the time, for less money. Besides, they're not practical at all. But I digress...

I will say that despite my needs for a larger screen, I'll be probably upgrading to the iPhone 5 soon. I was waiting for a possible June launch but apparently it was in vane... It's just a better phone all around. I had 2 coworkers messing with their Samsung Galaxies, one trying to help the other figure it out and get something working. I showed them how simple the iPhone was compared to the Android phones and they were astonished. Nothing is hidden. Nothing is hard to get to. It's all right there for you.

And all that does not change the fact that a 5" iphone with the same quality would be better for browsing gaming videos reading etc, the things people do more and more.

Apple thinks people will buy an iPad for that, but guess what... for millions a galaxy note is sufficient.

• Reply 45 of 71

Can we agree that if the goal is iOS dominance for the next few years apple needs another iphone line with a bigger screen and/or a cheaper device? So 3 iphone models max.

• Reply 46 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Can we agree that if the goal is iOS dominance for the next few years apple needs another iphone line with a bigger screen and/or a cheaper device? So 3 iphone models max.

at least

• Reply 47 of 71

Why would Apple would use likely inaccurate or invalid analyses in their conference calls? Obviously, if they're using this source in their own conference calls, they believe it's generally accurate/valid.

Do they have any other choice? If all that is available is something like IDC, what should they do? (Oppenheimer has complained about the paucity of good data on volumes in prior conference calls.)
  • Reply 48 of 71
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Apple is doomed, because 28,283 phones from 200 companies cumulatively have managed to get more combined global marketshare than a single phone line from a single company.

I like how the only way to try and make iPhone look bad is not to compare it to any other phone- but to compare it to all other phones combined. Apple has an insane marketshare considering they release exactly ONE new phone a year.
  • Reply 49 of 71
    igriv wrote: »
    In any case, it does not take fancy methodology to tell that Apple's market share is dropping: they are guiding top line down in a growing market, while not (as far as I know) drastically dropping prices.

This is a fair point.

It still begs the question of why none of these other guys provide channel data or volume data if their sales volumes and market shares are growing and as high as people say. Samsung used to report it, but not any more. In addition, this share data is inconsistent with other collateral data (e.g., web shares, app revenues, ad impressions).

The combination of these factors makes me quite suspicious.

I am willing to concede that I could be wrong, but I'd need to see actual data, not estimates (conflated with actuals).
  • Reply 50 of 71
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Can we agree that if the goal is iOS dominance for the next few years apple needs another iphone line with a bigger screen and/or a cheaper device?

Not in the slightest.

• Reply 51 of 71
    saarek wrote: »
    The iPhone has become a bit boring. There hasn't been a significant (in terms of looks) redesign since the iPhone 4. iOS is looking dated, it's not that it lacks features but it's a dated mess style wise.

I dare you to say that about your wife's/girlfriend's/significant other's looks.
  • Reply 52 of 71
    mudman2 wrote: »
    When are people going to stop reporting the crap that comes out of IDC. THEY WORK DIRECTLY FOR SAMSUNG

So does AppleInsider Staff.
  • Reply 53 of 71
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I dare you to say that about your wife's/girlfriend's/significant other's looks.

Why, do you know her?

• Reply 54 of 71
    nelsonx wrote: »
    That is if Cook is not fired and Apple doesn't change it's jobsian way of doing things.

I'm sure Wall Street wasn't whining about anything 'jobsian' when they were making easy money off the AAPL cash machine.
  • Reply 55 of 71
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

This is a fair point.

It still begs the question of why none of these other guys provide channel data or volume data if their sales volumes and market shares are growing and as high as people say. Samsung used to report it, but not any more. In addition, this share data is inconsistent with other collateral data (e.g., web shares, app revenues, ad impressions).

The combination of these factors makes me quite suspicious.

I am willing to concede that I could be wrong, but I'd need to see actual data, not estimates (conflated with actuals).

...because "Android" consists primarily of cheap low end phones, in spite of all the rubbish about Apple having to "keep up" with the Android high end.

People have short memories, iPhones have always been "behind" Android phones for a variety of reasons (SD cards, micro USB, screen resolution, "openness", customisation, etc) which has been the relentless and remorseless story pounded into blogs all over the Internet for years.

• Reply 56 of 71
    Not in the slightest.

This forum would run better if moderators actually made arguments rather than heckles.
  • Reply 57 of 71
    These arguments are childish. Peter Openheimer referenced IDC in the conference call when he argued that Apple with a small decline in Macs outpaced the market which had a 14% yoy decline according to IDC.

Deal with the stats.

Now what should be done? Answer - a cheaper iPhone.
  • Reply 58 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

These arguments are childish. Peter Openheimer referenced IDC in the conference call when he argued that Apple with a small decline in Macs outpaced the market which had a 14% yoy decline according to IDC.

Deal with the stats.

Now what should be done? Answer - a cheaper iPhone.

There are no 'stats' to deal with. Just guesses (for all non-Apple products) confounded with actuals (for Apple).

If anything is childish, it's the way they produce their data. They should at least try to be consistent and provide estimated numbers for all (with a transparent methodology). Otherwise it's not terribly believable. Not that there's a law against believing it.

• Reply 59 of 71
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

This forum would run better if moderators actually made arguments rather than heckles.

Note to self: disagreeing = heckling.

You kids and your wacky definitions for words that have absolutely no reflection on reality.

• Reply 60 of 71
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Note to self: disagreeing = heckling.

You kids and your wacky definitions for words that have absolutely no reflection on reality.

No, making one-word insulting comments without any justification whatever, and whose only purpose is to bully people is heckling. Reasoned disagreeing is just that.