AI readers now get lowest prices on Apple's iMacs & MacBooks with new coupons

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
AppleInsider, which has long teamed with Apple Authorized Reseller MacMall to offer the lowest prices anywhere on Apple's MacBook family through the addition of exclusive 3% discount coupons, is pleased to announce that those coupons have now been extended to the iMac family.

iMac

For a limited time, AppleInsider readers who use the MacMall links in our Apple Price Guides (snippet, below) or articles can activate a "Promo Code" field on the reseller's website. Applying coupon code APPINSDRMWB38717 and clicking "Apply" will then shave an additional 3% off MacMall's already reduced prices for all MacBooks, iMacs, and the majority of the MacBook Pro with Retina lineup.

iMacs

Overall, readers can use the coupons to save over $135 and $1000 on some iMac and MacBook Pro with Retina models, respectively. Separately, AppleInsider also maintains a New Macs + Apple Care Price Guide, which shows the lowest prices for Macs paired with Apple's 3-year extended protection plans.

MacBook Airs & MacBook Pros

Apple's newest iMac was first introduced last year with the 21.5-inch model coming out in October followed by the 27-inch version in December. Compared to its predecessor, the latest all-in-one boasts upgraded Intel Core i5 and i7 quad-core processors, NVIDIA graphics and, most notably, a sleek, all new design that tapers down to 5mm at its thinnest edge.

To bring the ultra thin iMac to market, Apple had to employ high-tech manufacturing techniques, including a unique screen lamination process that brings the LCD panel in direct contact with the protective cover glass. The cutting edge procedure was to blame for a manufacturing difficulties, however, ultimately leading to low yield rates that caused demand to outstrip supply.

During the lucrative holiday quarter, production issues were responsible for a year-over-year decline in iMac sales amounting to some 700,000 units. The limited availability was one of the main reasons Apple cited for a 17 percent drop in overall Mac sales during that quarter.

In a rare statement of insight during the company's quarterly earnings conference call for the second fiscal quarter of 2013, CEO Tim Cook said he wished Apple held back on releasing the new iMac until this year. The chief executive told analysts he doesn't spend a lot of time looking to the past "except to learn," and admitted the redesigned iMac may have been launched too soon.

"We felt our customers had to wait too long," Cook said of the iMac supply constraints.

It was reported in March that supplies had finally improved, which in turn boosted year-to-year Mac sales by 14 percent for the first quarter of the 2013 calendar year.

While initial iMac sales set a blistering pace, some customers were disappointed to find the new model lacked compatibility with the VESA mounting standard, a staple of the iMac line since the unit adopted the flat screen form factor in 2004.

In March, Apple finally introduced a special model featuring a built-in VESA adapter, allowing users to attach ergonomic arms or wall brackets to the rear of the iMac. The VESA version carries a $40 premium over normal iMacs and doesn't include a desk stand.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    "can activate a "Promo Code" field on the reseller's website."

WHERE on the resellers website? Please tell us where this field is.
    Thanks.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Wow. Brand new Macs for prices approaching Apple's refurb prices.
    Have always bought refurbs in the past, but might do the AI deal next time.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    rkevwillrkevwill Posts: 224member

My experience with MacMall has not been good. Caveat emptor.

• Reply 4 of 9
    rkevwill wrote: »

What's the story?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Exclusive: AI posts blatant spam pretending to be an article because they get at cut of the sales.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkevwill View Post

Do tell!

• Reply 7 of 9
    rkevwillrkevwill Posts: 224member

Item ordered via phone. Told item was in stock. Received email saying item was backordered. 24 days later, still not received, still not in stock. Called, asked for a refund, sent to the "salesman's" extension, left a voice mail. Sent 3 emails, no return call, no emails. Finally, called again to customer service, demanded a refund, or I was having Amex do a chargeback. Still got no action. Amex did a chargeback, and only then did MacMall send me a credit notice via email. BTW, ordered the same item via the Apple website, and received it in 3 days.

I am not sure this company even has a brick and mortar presence in the US. Just conjecture. I hope mine was a rare one time occurrence. I would think AI wouldn't associate themselves with a company thats not reliable. Just after my experience, I look for other vendors.

• Reply 8 of 9
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member

Quote:

Item ordered via phone. Told item was in stock. Received email saying item was backordered. 24 days later, still not received, still not in stock. Called, asked for a refund, sent to the "salesman's" extension, left a voice mail. Sent 3 emails, no return call, no emails. Finally, called again to customer service, demanded a refund, or I was having Amex do a chargeback. Still got no action. Amex did a chargeback, and only then did MacMall send me a credit notice via email. BTW, ordered the same item via the Apple website, and received it in 3 days.

I am not sure this company even has a brick and mortar presence in the US. Just conjecture. I hope mine was a rare one time occurrence. I would think AI wouldn't associate themselves with a company thats not reliable. Just after my experience, I look for other vendors.

What did you order?

• Reply 9 of 9
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

What's the story?

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

Do tell!

I think it boils down to the sales rep. I have a dedicated rep on the business sales side and I have never had a problem, ever. As a matter of fact, my rep has bent over backwards and even throws a lot of free stuff in like cabling and even an 8 port network switch. He would also scan the system for all free package deals, which includes printers, RAM, and software such as Parallels. Prior to working with the business sales department I can't think of any problems I had with the retail sales reps, either.

FWIW, give them another shot.

Is it just one incident you're speaking of?