Google buys Wavii for an estimated $30 million, reportedly outbidding Apple

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Natural language processing startup Wavii confirmed on Friday that it has been acquired by Google, and some sources report that the search giant bought the startup from under Apple for more than $30 million.

iphone 4s
Wavii's team photo

Wavii confirmed the acquisition in on the company web page on Friday, noting that the Wavii service as it currently exists will be shut down. Wavii's team and technology, it is expected, will be integrated into Google's operations "in ways that may be useful to millions of people around the world," according to CEO Adrian Aoun.

Earlier reports had Wavii's technology being merged with Google's Knowledge Graph, a database of hundreds of millions of people, places, and things.

The acquisition price was north of $30 million earlier this week when The Wall Street Journal first reported on the impending deal.

Google and Apple had both been bidding for Wavii, according to sources familiar with the negotiations. Google wanted Wavii to improve its search capabilities, while Apple is said to have wanted to tie Wavii's tech into Apple's Siri digital assistant.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Another one of those products overvalued and overly hyped. It's never peaked my interest to use. A personalized news feeder for $30 million. True innovation I tell ya!

Hilarious waste of capital.

• Reply 2 of 20
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

From the team photo, looks like they'd be better suited to join Microsoft.

Or maybe it's a sign that Google's going to compete therewith.

• Reply 3 of 20
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Google bought this only to stop Wavii from going into the hands of Apple.

• Reply 4 of 20
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member
    The Silicon Valley venture capital play...

"Spread rumor that Apple is trying to buy you. Waiting for phone call that shows GOOGLE on the caller ID"...

Most of the start up companies in the "cloud hype" world really will not make Google or anyone else much money in the long run.

Once the cloud / social media hype dies down as companies figure out the true costs & benefits the VC crowd and the tech media will have to find something else to hype.

Congrats to the Wavii kids for figuring out that Google will hand out money so easily.

• Reply 5 of 20

Just do a "jazz hands" gesture and it searches for you? 

• Reply 6 of 20
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    If Apple really wanted Wavii they would have bought them. $30 million is couch change. Apparently Apple could do without.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    [quote]Wavii's team and technology, it is expected, will be integrated into Google's operations [/quote]

Resistance is futile

/g *

* gravelly voice
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Really much better start-ups out there,no need for wavii
    https://angel.co/natural-language-processing
  • Reply 9 of 20
    chandra69 wrote: »
    Google bought this only to stop <span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18.1875px;">Wavii from going into the hands of Apple.</span>

Don't be evil.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member

If Apple and Google were really both bidding on the company then Google apparently found more value there. Based on the little bit I found about Wavii they do look like they'd be of more use to Google than Apple. I can see their ideas on contextual intelligence popping up in a Google Glass app.

• Reply 11 of 20
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Just wait 'til Apple buys Yahoo just to acquire Summly...

• Reply 12 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Just wait 'til Apple buys Yahoo just to acquire Summly...

Marissa would just be icing...

• Reply 13 of 20
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member

Yay! A million $ each…. good job team!

• Reply 14 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Yay! A million $ each…. good job team!

I'll wager that Wavii investors got a big chunk of the money. That would include guys that didn't need the money to begin with like

"Paypal co-founder Max Levchin, former Facebook executive Dave Morin, and Fritz Lanman, a former dealmaker at Microsoft Corp".

• Reply 15 of 20
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Coincidentally that's exactly the current high bid on the Coffee with Tim Cook charity auction!  j/k

• Reply 16 of 20
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    If this app is valuable it wouldn't be $30m perhaps 10x more.

Probably useless except to google because Apple was eyeing it.

Snooked?
  • Reply 17 of 20
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

From the team photo, looks like they'd be better suited to join Microsoft.

Let's re-live that special moment:

If that isn't the best reason for your choice of computer then I don't know what is.

• Reply 18 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

If that isn't the best reason for your choice of computer then I don't know what is.

PROOF that fat nerds can't dance! That was embarrassing to watch... 

• Reply 19 of 20
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    gtr wrote: »

That was so bad I'm going to take a break from the internet now and try to figure out why I watched it and why these people do the Kickstand-dance.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Just have a look at #NewSum. Summarizes news from different sources in a single text. Will be available to everyone in a few days, for free, as opensource app! (android for the time being)
    goo.gl/08yIf