Glitch in Apple's iMessage deletes words 'Obama,' 'surprise'

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

I wish I knew how the programming logic would work to even cause an error like that... some sort of mistake in censoring logic that's inconsistent in different areas of the program, maybe?

It's not censoring or filtering words, it's a text measurement bug.

The last word of the sentence is being wrapped to the next line, but the bubble is only tall enough to display a single line.  That will happen if the programmer uses different metrics to calculate the size of the bubble vs. the actual text rendering because of differing fonts or differing margins.  It's probably only off by one pixel, which means you'll only see the problem with very specific sentences that are an exactly width.

• Reply 22 of 38
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    leizhao4 wrote: »
    It's a bug, not censorship. It happens when the sentence is of a certain width (at pixel level accuracy) and the last word is of a certain width. The last word disappears, because iOS decides it should wrap to the next line, but for some reason fails to display the second line.

You can verify this by reordering the words (except for the last) and letters. For example, "I could be the next Obama " -> "be I eht dlouc netx maabO ". The last word "maabO" will disappear. You can even try "I bama be the next Ocould ". Don't forget the space at the end.

Great post. Thanks for investigating. I've seen bugs like that on many operating systems.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It wasn't a surprise when Obama didn't deliver on his promises.

Correct. The office of the president, as well as Congress and the Senate, are beholden to special interests. Change the man/woman in the office, but it does not change the votes or monetary influence of special interests.

• Reply 24 of 38
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    So if you type "surprise" by itself does iMessage deliver an empty message? Because that would be weird.

What part 'in specific sentences' didn't you understand?
  • Reply 25 of 38
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Quote:

Right. Because 3 branches of Government work as one, correct?

• Reply 26 of 38
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Correct. The office of the president, as well as Congress and the Senate, are beholden to special interests. Change the man/woman in the office, but it does not change the votes or monetary influence of special interests.

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Right. Because 3 branches of Government work as one, correct?

Why did this become political? It's obvious he's just combining both bugs into one example sentence. He's making a joke.

• Reply 27 of 38
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    ireland wrote: »

Name me a president or politician that has.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

...me.

(Sorry, message got cut off)

• Reply 29 of 38
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

Quote:

Originally Posted by leizhao4 View Post

First, you have to use your iPhone to see the message, not your Mac. I didn't try iPad but I believe it won't work neither. And I will tell you why.

Second, you must add a space to the end of the sentence.

It's a bug, not censorship. It happens when the sentence is of a certain width (at pixel level accuracy) and the last word is of a certain width. The last word disappears, because iOS decides it should wrap to the next line, but for some reason fails to display the second line.

You can verify this by reordering the words (except for the last) and letters. For example, "I could be the next Obama " -> "be I eht dlouc netx maabO ". The last word "maabO" will disappear. You can even try "I bama be the next Ocould ". Don't forget the space at the end.

I hope you plan on posting more often. Well done! 

• Reply 30 of 38
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

Quote:

I believe he has for the most part. 

He wanted to redistribute wealth and he has done so

He wanted universal health care

He wants to fundamentally change our Country and he has in some ways and working on others .

He works for Gay rights and Planned Parenthood. 

He is for growing the size and power of the Federal government, and has. 

He wants to remove the 2nd amendment (still working on that), or drastically reduce the power of it. 

I think these are all horrible action items, but he has been able to get them done to some extent. 

• Reply 31 of 38
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Can a tread be closed? The mystery was solved and this cannot go anywhere but downhill.
  • Reply 32 of 38

I realize AppleInsider isn't the place for this stuff, but I couldn't resist.

Hey Richard - I'm neither a Republican nor Democrat - an equal opportunity critic... and fairly disappointed in Obama myself. But I just have to point out a couple of things. First, I assume those things you listed are all "bad" in your mind (they aren't in mine.) So, I am compelled to point out that almost everything you said about Obama could also be said about his predecessor. I know you're an honest guy, so I have to assume you were just as upset with Bush?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

He wanted to redistribute wealth and he has done so

You mean the same way the CBO said Bush's budgets did?

Quote:

He wants to fundamentally change our Country and he has in some ways and working on others .

Shouldn't any decent president want this? Lord knows, we need it.

Quote:

He wanted universal health care

OK, but he didn't get it. And let's not forget what Bush did get. He advocated for - and actually got through Congress (even tightwad Paul Ryan was on board!) - the single largest and most expensive expansion of entitlements (i.e. "welfare") since the 60s. (Medicare Part D.)

Quote:

He is for growing the size and power of the Federal government, and has.

No one in modern history has grown government spending more than Bush and his Congressional sycophants. [Cato]

Quote:

He wants to remove the 2nd amendment (still working on that), or drastically reduce the power of it.

Bush supported background checks, the assault weapons ban, mandatory trigger locks, and raising the minimum age to buy a handgun. [ref]

So they both suck[ed], right?

• Reply 33 of 38
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Why did this become political?
    Because clearly IOS is inherently right wing republican, whilst OSX is much more tolerant and open minded.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    Wrap-gate
  • Reply 35 of 38
    ajmasajmas Posts: 597member
    It is a text entry issue to do with length in the text and possibly based on word wrap. This assumption is based on the fact that the issue happens in portrait rotation, but not in landscape rotation.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Also, if you select the "censored" text and hit copy and paste it elsewhere, the entire message will paste. So the content is still there, just not displaying.
  • Reply 37 of 38

Does it work with "Romney?"  Oh, wait, that disappeared on his own...!

• Reply 38 of 38
    azdxazdx Posts: 1member

Try typing "I just cant stop thinking of myself as such a dumbass " Be sure to put a space after dumbass and see what happens.. IT DISSAPEARS TOO!! I think these disappearing words make some kind of secret message but that's just my opinion.