Will the iSub work?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I was thinking about getting an iSub, but was wondering if it will work with my 17inch imac and 10.2. I assume it will compliment the pro speakers that come with the imac. but will it work with 10.2? I just remember hearing about a lot of issues with the isub and os x...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    there won't be a problem.

The isub works perfectly for me on 10.2.1
  • Reply 2 of 18
    The main problem with OS X and the iSub in 10.0 and 10.1 was that there was no separate volume control for it in the Sound preferences. In my case, that meant you could hardly hear it.

This has been fixed in 10.2, and you can now control the iSub's volume in the Sound preferences. My iSub sounds great now.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Thanks a lot, I'm seriously considering getting one. These external speakers just aren't enough!
  • Reply 4 of 18
    So far, no one has posted the one remaining problem with the iSub and OS X. A new problem in 10.2, when you mute the sound, the iSub doesn't mute.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    yea...still doesn't mute in 10.2.1 either...perhaps in 10.2.2.......g

still, iSub really adds aLOT to the sound...highly recommended....g

[ 09-27-2002: Message edited by: thegelding ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 18
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    what ?

mine mutes perfectly. do you have a picture where you can show me how that pref pane looks, where I can set the volume of the iSub ?
  • Reply 7 of 18
    [quote]Originally posted by Defiant:

<strong>what ?

mine mutes perfectly. do you have a picture where you can show me how that pref pane looks, where I can set the volume of the iSub ?</strong><hr></blockquote>

In Jaguar, just go to System Prefs, open up the "Sound" control panel. If an iSub is installed there will be a slider bar to control its volume.

Cheers!
  • Reply 8 of 18
    [quote]Originally posted by jpcrumley:

<strong>So far, no one has posted the one remaining problem with the iSub and OS X. A new problem in 10.2, when you mute the sound, the iSub doesn't mute.</strong><hr></blockquote>

mute works. but for me, i do it a bit different to bypass the silly isub problem. hold down the "lower volume" key until there are no notches. then, hit the mute key. for some reason, that kicks off both the speaker volume and isub volume. i think its because the isub still uses the last volume setting before hitting mute. in that way, if you turn yer volume off manually first, the isub will be set to no volume.

kinda pain in the ass, but it works...
  • Reply 9 of 18
    [quote]Originally posted by danielb0101:

<strong>

In Jaguar, just go to System Prefs, open up the "Sound" control panel. If an iSub is installed there will be a slider bar to control its volume.

Cheers!</strong><hr></blockquote>

where ?
  • Reply 10 of 18
    I don't know what to say. It's there on my machine. ..

sorry.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    [quote]Originally posted by danielb0101:

<strong>I don't know what to say. It's there on my machine. ..

sorry.</strong><hr></blockquote>

can you mail me a screenshot ?
  • Reply 12 of 18
    I sent you an email.. but here is the screenshot:

• Reply 13 of 18

running 10.2.1 with pro speakers and iSub....

iSub volume control does not show up if iSub is not attached.....g

[ 09-27-2002: Message edited by: thegelding ]</p>
  • Reply 14 of 18
    do you all have a standalone iSub + Apple Pro Speakers ?

I have a combo of iSub + SoundSticks ...
  • Reply 15 of 18
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    The SoundSticks do NOT include an iSub. Yes, they include a subwoofer that looks EXACTLY LIKE an iSub, but it's not the same thing. If you have SoundSticks attached, you can control the volume of those. If you have the iSub attached, then you can control its volume.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    2 questions about the iSub ;

Does it need a power supply or does it take it from USB?

Does the combination Apple pro speaker+iSub sound good?

Philippe.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    [quote]Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:

<strong>The SoundSticks do NOT include an iSub. Yes, they include a subwoofer that looks EXACTLY LIKE an iSub, but it's not the same thing. If you have SoundSticks attached, you can control the volume of those. If you have the iSub attached, then you can control its volume.</strong><hr></blockquote>

thanks for the info. I guess I had that wrong.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    [quote]Originally posted by philrobin:

<strong>Does it need a power supply or does it take it from USB?</strong><hr></blockquote>

It has a power brick.

[quote]<strong>Does the combination Apple pro speaker+iSub sound good?</strong><hr></blockquote>

On my G4 933 they sound great!