Apple adds iBooks Author Widgets, iTunes Extras and iTunes LP in iAd Producer update

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In another Apple update pushed out on Tuesday, Apple brought iAd Producer up to version 4.0, adding a number of new features for developers to leverage when using the ad creation tool.

iAd Producer

As noted by AppleInsider reader Gregg Mojica, the latest iAd Producer was pushed out just minutes before Apple's quarterly conference call for the second fiscal quarter of 2013. Three main features were added the the usual iAd creation toolset: iBooks Author Widgets, iTunes Extras and iTunes LP.

First released in 2010, iAd Producer is Apple's solution to design and build interactive "rich media ads." The software supports HTML5, CSS3 and JavaScript.

iBooks Widget
Example of an iBooks Widget. | Source: Apple

From the iAd Producer help page:
iBooks Author Widget
You can create an iBooks Author widget for use in your iBooks Author projects. For example, you can create a widget that allows users to stream video from the Internet, draw using their finger, or interact with a timeline.

iTunes Extras
You can create an iTunes Extras project to provide bonus content (such as cast interviews, bonus videos, or behind-the-scenes photos) for movies available on the iTunes Store.

iTunes LPs
You can create an iTunes LP project to provide additional content (such as lyrics or photos) for albums you?ve submitted to the iTunes Store. You can create your iTunes LP using a template, or start with a blank project.
Version 4.0 of iAd Producer comes in at 341MB and developers can download the software from Apple's developer website.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Wait, wait, I'm confused. We can now use this to create straight-up iTunes LP/Extras stuff? These aren't… somehow iAds for your iTunes LP/Extras which is a different thing, but rather actually create iTunes LP/Extras right from here?

That's what it's looking like as I play with it. Same with the iBooks Author thing, which I guess is just a custom widget to be put into iBooks Author later?

So I have three questions.

1. Why is all this stuff in here? It's called iAd Producer. iAd. At least change the name.

2. This is awesome. It's not even a question. Did we have a simple way to create this stuff before now and it was just on its own?

3. Why isn't the "create your own iBooks Author widget" part of an iBooks Author update?! 

• Reply 2 of 4
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Yep, this kind of needs a name change since its not about just ads anymore. It's nice looking though and perhaps making it easier to do extras etc will encourage folks to do it
  • Reply 3 of 4
    airbubbleairbubble Posts: 105member
    This is good news, I have several albums which were bought before iTunes 11 release.
    All the LP/Extras are there but seem to be broken has most of the pic or info has
    disappeared?

I believe before they used a template but also allowed PDF & maybe this is the cause of the
    breakages?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

So iAd Producer is becoming Apple's generic HTML, CSS and Javascript authoring app?

Bit weird, but ok them.