Samsung's new 7" Galaxy Tab 3 to take on Apple's iPad mini, and take phone calls

Comments

• Reply 21 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

It may have to do a little with pricing. Making calls, even just with Bluetooth means adding additional parts and licenses. Especially if they want to support both CDMA and GSM in one unit which is the smarter way to go. So until they can get the component prices down to offset those new parts they likely to really look at the idea. Particularly without solid numbers that folks are getting and using phablets in droves.

All current iPads (with cellular) already support GSM and CDMA. The only thing they'd have to add is an ear speaker. 

• Reply 22 of 154
    The carpet bombing of the market continues. No niche, no matter how small, will be mined for the 13 customers who asked for it. We're going for 7.2" next year! And yes, it'll be a mix of last year's parts, last year's name, and the current Android version. And it will have a 3G kitchen sink, called S-Sink(TM). Nobody knows how it works, but its in there. Every feature. It will have both LCD and OLED at the same time so we can be the first to say that on a specs sheet. And when it arrives, we expect AppleInsider to post baby pictures of it as they continue their nonstop coverage of Samsung's Galaxy of phablets!
  • Reply 23 of 154
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    isaidso wrote: »
    Sorry It's NOT a bad idea as some here are saying. I always said iPad Mini with Voice service should be Apple's answer to the phablet.

That assumes that Apple wants or needs an answer to the phablets. They likely don't feel that way, anymore than they did about cheap net books. Or a cheap full price iPhone.
  • Reply 24 of 154
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    All current iPads (with cellular) already support GSM and CDMA. The only thing they'd have to add is an ear speaker. 

With licenses for data only functions. They would have to rework those. And they would have to add the parts and licenses for that receiver, etc
  • Reply 25 of 154
    huffcw wrote: »
    With a bluetooth handset or headset it could work well -- and eliminate the need for two different devices that essentially do a lot of the same things. 
    You'd still need two devices... 

I'm going to start walking around with my iPad mini held up to my face just to see what kind of looks I get. When people ask what it is, I'll tell them it's the new Samesung Super Duper Mega Galaxy S X V I I I, X V X V I I... 

Are you a groopie? Do you need to look like everyone else -- with a ridiculous flat 3.5-4" slab as an ear appendage? Who cares? If you do, you are buying a phone for the wrong reason -- to be an individualist (like everyone else).

Edit: My late wife, who grew up in Pittsburgh, said it best: Yer-RIG-ner-RUNT!
  • Reply 26 of 154
    macxpress wrote: »

Because its a stupid idea. I think this bigger phablet thing is just a fad like netbooks were.

For those can't afford or are unaware of a headset, yes, I suppose it is a stupid idea.
  • Reply 27 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The carpet bombing of the market continues. No niche, no matter how small, will be mined for the 13 customers who asked for it. We're going for 7.2" next year! And yes, it'll be a mix of last year's parts, last year's name, and the current Android version. And it will have a 3G kitchen sink, called S-Sink(TM). Nobody knows how it works, but its in there. Every feature. It will have both LCD and OLED at the same time so we can be the first to say that on a specs sheet. And when it arrives, we expect AppleInsider to post baby pictures of it as they continue their nonstop coverage of Samsung's Galaxy of phablets!

Except Android 4.1 was released last July, so I wouldn't call it the current version (4.2 is current). 

• Reply 28 of 154
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Need at least 3 cell phone carrier options:
    • iPhone only number/plan
    • iPad only number/plan
    • iPhone and iPad shared number/plan

Possibly... iPhone and iPad separate number/plan

Edit: when you think about it, the number/plan should designate the individual -- not the device!

There are many more ways to go than just these three, but I think the carriers are really the main blockade to the idea of using the iPad (or any other device) as a phone. If the definition of what a 'phone' is gets too fuzzy, they won't be able to over-charge everyone as easily.

In my country, the carriers refuse to let you share data for this very reason. You can have a phone with xGB of data but the only way they let you share it is by using the hotspot and tethering other devices to the phone. This is cumbersome and borderline unworkable using Apples gear and no favour to the customer but it lets the primacy of the phone remain.

Like several others commenting here I believe this would be a fantastic device and I would buy it in a heartbeat if it were from Apple and running iOS instead of some PoS Samsung device running Android. I'm sure there are a sizeable number of people in the same ballpark based on the gigantic phones you see around.

Sure a phone is a phone, but manny people carry it as a portable computer, or game player, or GPS etc. and lots of folks only get the odd phone call now and then on it.
  • Reply 29 of 154
    realistic wrote: »
    It could make sense only if two devices could share the same phone number. If you need to pay for s separate plan then it it doesn't make sense

Heard of call forwarding?
  • Reply 30 of 154
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

• iPad only number/plan

Edit: when you think about it, the number/plan should designate the individual -- not the device!

I agree the plan should be tied to the individual not the device. The carriers should allow you to set / choose which device rings and ideally you could change the device selection on the fly over the internet.

• Reply 31 of 154
    charlituna wrote: »

It may have to do a little with pricing. Making calls, even just with Bluetooth means adding additional licenses. Especially if they want to support both CDMA and GSM in one unit which is the smarter way to go. So until they can get the component prices down to offset those costs they likely to really look at the idea. Particularly without solid numbers that folks are getting and using phablets in droves.

The consumer can choose to pay if (s)he wants to activate that feature.
  • Reply 32 of 154
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member

Quote:

Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Sorry It's NOT a bad idea as some here are saying. I always said iPad Mini with Voice service should be Apple's answer to the phablet.

Anybody trying to figure out how you would handle calls with the thing isn't too bright.

Well count me as one of your "not too bright" group. Pray, enlighten those of us without your higher thought processes and record setting IQ about the usage.

BTW: your name speaks volumes about who is bright -- really, because I Said So? Haven't heard that since I was a tot whining about my bedtime.

• Reply 33 of 154

good point. In my case, my kids are on iPhones and I can receive FaceTime calls from them on my iPad and iMac. Facetime is a built in feature with apple and I also use it to communicate with customers from my devices. I prefer the larger screen on my iPad for facetime calls and as it works out, it is cheaper to have a data plan for your iPad than it is to have multiple cell phone services.

• Reply 34 of 154
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member

Quote:

Are you a groopie? Do you need to look like everyone else -- with a ridiculous flat 3.5-4" slab as an ear appendage? Who cares? If you do, you are buying a phone for the wrong reason -- to be an individualist (like everyone else).

Edit: My late wife, who grew up in Pittsburgh, said it best: Yer-RIG-ner-RUNT!

The problem I have with an iPad is that I _don't_ want to carry it everywhere.  I already find having an iPhone in my pocket to be uncomfortable at times (e.g. while driving).  Can't imagine what I'd do if my iPad was always on me.

I'm not always wearing a coat, and don't want to permanently have a bag (which I'll inevitably forget somewhere).  So where do I put the iPad when I just want it out of the way?  No thanks.  It's not a fashion thing, it's a function thing -- I like having two hands free to deal with life.

• Reply 35 of 154
    gazoobee wrote: »
    • iPad only number/plan

There are many more ways to go than just these three, but I think the carriers are really the main blockade to the idea of using the iPad (or any other device) as a phone. If the definition of what a 'phone' is gets too fuzzy, they won't be able to over-charge everyone as easily.

In my country, the carriers refuse to let you share data for this very reason. You can have a phone with xGB of data but the only way they let you share it is by using the hotspot and tethering other devices to the phone. This is cumbersome and borderline unworkable using Apples gear and no favour to the customer but it lets the primacy of the phone remain.

Like several others commenting here I believe this would be a fantastic device and I would buy it in a heartbeat if it were from Apple and running iOS instead of some PoS Samsung device running Android. I'm sure there are a sizeable number of people in the same ballpark based on the gigantic phones you see around.

Sure a phone is a phone, but manny people carry it as a portable computer, or game player, or GPS etc. and lots of folks only get the odd phone call now and then on it.

Exactly!

In the US, (if the government can find a way to tax it) cellular phone/data service will likely evolve to where it is charged to the individual, not the device.

Like you, I have lots of uses for a mobile computer/camera/web appliance... oh, yeah... Occasionally I need a mobile phone!
  • Reply 36 of 154
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    huffcw wrote: »
    With a bluetooth handset or headset it could work well -- and eliminate the need for two different devices that essentially do a lot of the same things. 
    It's worth noting that the difference in size between an iPhone, and an iPad mini is less than the difference between the average house phone in the 80's and the first cell phones when they came out. It's no more stupid holding a small tablet to your ear than it was to use one of those shoebox sized early mobiles.

I think the real answer to why people are so resistant to this idea is psychological.

It's a fear of looking foolish plain and simple. It's the same reason why we aren't 'supposed to' take pictures with our iPad minis, because for some never clearly stated reason it's 'wrong.' Even though the iPad is a fantastic camera, we aren't supposed to use it because it 'looks stupid.' People are just afraid of looking uncool.
  • Reply 37 of 154
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member

It's very easy for Samsung to build any number of products flooding the market with yet another mobile device. It doesn't really matter to them whether anyone buys it because way too many people will start talking about it, taking mindset away form Apple products. Apple tried this approach after the got rid of Steve Jobs and almost went bankrupt. Once Steve got back in, he stripped the product line to the bare minimum, focusing efforts on producing a few great products. Samsung is the current leader in providing lots of marginal products. This is a repeat of the PC market that saw many vendors supplying department stores with the same product in different "clothes." Samsung isn't creating anything new, they're just putting it in a new set of clothes.

How many shoes do you really need? Poor analogy because some people seem to have a pair for every day of the year! Shoe manufacturers love this and so do computer/mobile device manufacturers. 

• Reply 38 of 154
    The Droidboyz will love using this as a smartphone. Most of them say they have a hard time reading displays on smaller smartphones. They'll be able to read text from across the room with this smartphone. They'll be able to use it for everything. They'll just have to get some pants with larger pockets. This will make Samsung's Mega model look like a Mini.

What I really find amazing is how Samsung can make about ten models of devices in the time it takes for Apple to make just one. Samsung never seems to run into component supply problems, they don't ever seem have quality control problems or ever seem to have product delays even with so many different products. Apple is said to be always plagued with lots of problems when they're only building just one product. Why does Apple always have so many production problems and Samsung never has any? Apple needs to get its supply chain in order. Wasn't Tim Cook supposedly some supply chain mastermind or something.
  • Reply 39 of 154

Quote:

Not a "stupid idea" for everyone... I am 73 years old, retired... I receive/make only a few calls per day. During the grandkids soccer season (6 practices and 3 games per week) I carry an iPad and an iPhone. The phone calls are only used to co-ordinate pickups and game times, etc.

If the iPad could make/receive phone calls, I could carry only one device.. The iPad screen and kb better serve my old eyes and fat fingers!

BTW, As you mature you care more about results than how you look to others...

The iPad can make and receive calls using any number of the VOIP apps.  It might not be exactly the same as having regular phone service, but it's probably close enough for a lot of people who need to make the occasional call.  If you have a cellular iPad (assuming wifi wouldn't work all of the time), have you tried using it for VOIP?

• Reply 40 of 154
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

For those can't afford or are unaware of a headset, yes, I suppose it is a stupid idea.

I'm one who thinks that it is a stupid idea, headset or not. To carry a 7" anything just to make a phone call is crazy. Yes, when on the bike with my 5 in my back pocket, I use a headset for calls. Where I live, there is quite a big difference in the cost of a data only plan and voice. Samesung haven't done this for practical reasons but to 'one up' Apple.