Google Now assistant launches on Apple's iPhone & iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member

"has been a staple feature of Android for the last year"

Actually, it has been "has been a staple feature of" 25% of the installed base of active "Android" users "for [portions of] the last year."

Requires Jelly Bean, so that wipes out 75% of the potential Android audience. And that's with Google's new metric that only counts "active users" as those who bought apps recently, not just those phone users who access Google Play. If the numbers look bad, change your statistical reporting! Still looks bad, but slightly less so. 

Cue the guys who say Android has no fragmentation problem... or maybe they're all busy with cleaning up their malware.

Google just demonstrated to all mobile developers that its easier to target all iOS users than more than 25% of the Android installed base. 

• Reply 22 of 58
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Google held back turn by turn to make Android more valuable. It wasn't until Apple released its own Maps app that Google released its own app with turn by turn.

Google held back some maps features because Apple wasn't offering enough in return was the way I remember the rumor. In other words it was Apple not cooperating as much as Google.

• Reply 23 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Android has a ton of exclusives. Malware (97%- Apple can't even compete), fragmentation, shitty skins, software updates that are either several months late or that you don't get at all, laginess, the ability to install a custom ROM which can make your phone a buggy mess, the ability to have your every move tracked by Google, 3rd rate iOS hand-me-down apps, shit software installed by both your OEM and your carrier, etc. Apple is playing massive catch-up to all these exclusives.

... I hope you're wrong, as does nearly every iOS user.

• Reply 24 of 58
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    "<span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18px;">has been a staple feature of Android for the last year"</span>

<span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18px;">Actually, it has been "</span>
    <span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18px;">has been a staple feature of" 25% of the installed base of active "Android" users "for [portions of] the last year."</span>

<span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18px;">Requires Jelly Bean, so that wipes out 75% of the potential Android audience. And that's with Google's new metric that only counts "active users" as those who bought apps </span>
    <span style="line-height:18px;">recently, not just those phone users who access Google Play. If the numbers look bad, change your statistical reporting! Still looks bad, but slightly less so. </span>

<span style="line-height:18px;">Cue the guys who say Android has no fragmentation problem... or maybe they're all busy with cleaning up their malware.</span>

<span style="line-height:18px;">Google just demonstrated to all mobile developers that its easier to target all iOS users than more than 25% of the Android installed base. </span>

Wasn't Siri the same way? What's your point?
  • Reply 25 of 58
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Wasn't Siri the same way? What's your point?

Point? There was supposed to be a point?

• Reply 26 of 58
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    Best of both worlds now...Apple build quality and OS, great Google functionality. Happy guy today
  • Reply 27 of 58
    3eleven3eleven Posts: 87member

Come to me Google Now *rubs his hands together*

• Reply 28 of 58
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    tbell wrote: »
    Google held back turn by turn to make Android more valuable. It wasn't until Apple released its own Maps app that Google released its own app with turn by turn.
    Google held back some maps features because Apple wasn't offering enough in return was the way I remember the rumor. In other words it was Apple not cooperating as much as Google.

I don't remember the rumour. Was it money, or user data that Apple didn't want to share?
  • Reply 29 of 58
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

How could they hold back something on a app that wasn't their's?
  • Reply 30 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I don't remember the rumour. Was it money, or user data that Apple didn't want to share?

It came down to sharing user location and travel stats, which Apple's collects anyway and shares selectively, so that Google could offer more appropriate seach results (and advertising), as well as prominently identifying maps as a Google app according to one rumor. There was also a rumor that the first rumor wasn't true at all and that it was Apple unselfishly protecting their users from Google stealing their personal information to sell to the highest bidder.  There's probably some other rumor variation out there besides those two. Whichever one fits your preferred view I suppose.

• Reply 31 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

How could they hold back something on a app that wasn't their's?

True, it was Apple's app.

If Google was going to provide navigation in addition to maps they apparently wanted it to be branded as Google's rather than Apple's according to rumors.

• Reply 32 of 58
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    philboogie wrote: »
    It came down to sharing user location and travel stats, which Apple's collecting anyway, and prominently identifying maps as a Google app according to the rumor. There was also a rumor that the rumor wasn't true at all and that it was Apple unselfishly protecting their users from Google's prying eyes and Google refusing to add navigation unless Apple would sell out.  There's probably some other rumor variation out there besides those two. Whichever one fits your preferred view I suppose.

Then I presume it was Apple not wanting to share user data, as they're quite opposed to that. Crowd-sourced data gathering is something different, which Apple does.

With Google's main business, revenue from ads, I presume they wanted the user data as that would seem the most valuable for them.

Oh well, rumours.
  • Reply 33 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Then I presume it was Apple not wanting to share user data, as they're quite opposed to that. Crowd-sourced data gathering is something different, which Apple does.

With Google's main business, revenue from ads, I presume they wanted the user data as that would seem the most valuable for them.

Oh well, rumours.

Well there you go. There's plenty of rumors to fit everyone's viewpoint. That's the nice thing about them, they don't even have to be true, just repeated often enough to get traction.

• Reply 34 of 58
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

AllThingsD claimed the conflict came about because Google had spent a huge sum creating navigation info, and originally wanted a deal in return for Apple using it. 

One of the things Google wanted in return, was branding in such apps (probably something like a transparent Google logo in a corner).   Apple said no.   Ditto for adding Google Latitude.

Of course, Google search is still the default, and Google Maps with navigation is now available, so the claim that Apple didn't want to share user data, search or locations, doesn't still seem to apply.

• Reply 35 of 58
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

AllThingsD claimed the conflict came about because Google had spent a huge sum creating navigation info, and originally wanted a deal in return for Apple using it. 

One of the things Google wanted in return, was branding in such apps (probably something like a transparent Google logo in a corner).   Apple said no.   Ditto for adding Google Latitude.

Of course, Google search is still the default, and Google Maps with navigation is now available, so the claim that Apple didn't want to share user data, search or locations, is obviously moot.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

I am not sure it is moot, since it is possible that Apple just wanted to maintain deniability (of course, prominently labeling the maps thing as Google would do the same, oh well...)

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 36 of 58
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

I am not sure it is moot,

Darn.  Replied while I edited :)

• Reply 37 of 58
    mariomario Posts: 348member

Quote:

Originally Posted by crabapple View Post

Since installing it, my location services has been used 100% of the time. Even after app restart and phone reboot.

Yes, they do say that first time you launch the app it will be recording your location all the time, but it's not quite clear if that meant while the app is running only. It turns out they run daemon in the background that always records you location, so it's doing that even when the application itself is not running. That's the reason I will not be using it (plus it's a little creepy). Battery drain is not a price I'm willing to pay for occasional good suggestion from Google.

• Reply 38 of 58

The Location Service now runs non-stop. I had to uninstall. This app is just like the Android version, sucks down battery life and runs services in the background for no reason. Nice!

• Reply 39 of 58
    mariomario Posts: 348member

Quote:

Originally Posted by steinm88299 View Post

The Location Service now runs non-stop. I had to uninstall. This app is just like the Android version, sucks down battery life and runs services in the background for no reason. Nice!

You can just go to Google Search settings and turn off Google Now. That prevents it from running location services all the time.

• Reply 40 of 58

Hmmm. Location service icon still on for me after turning off Google Now. I force closed the Google Search app even.