BlackBerry CEO expects 'several tens of millions' of Q10 unit sales

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Following a strong UK launch of BlackBerry's latest Q10 smartphone, CEO Thorsten Heins said he expects the trend to continue as the company prepares to tap into an installed user base for wider release.

Q10

The QWERTY keyboard-toting Q10 officially started sales in the UK on Monday, and initial sales performance appears to be high, as a number of department stores and retailers saw quick stock outs. BlackBerry's successful device launch sparked a 3.9 percent stock price spike in New York, with shares hitting $15.61 before the bell.

"We have very, very good first signs already after the launch in the UK,? Heins told Bloomberg in an interview at the Milken Institute conference. ?This is going into the installed base of more than 70 million BlackBerry users so we have quite some expectations. We expect several tens of million of units.?

Last week, reviewers lauded the new Q10's physical keyboard and respectable battery life, saying the handset is the return to QWERTY many users have been waiting for.

BlackBerry is counting on the next-generation BB10 mobile platform to resuscitate revenues after smartphones like Apple's iPhone and Android-based handsets pushed the once-dominant Ontario-based company to the wayside. The firm's slice of the worldwide smartphone market has quickly dwindled, with sluggish shipments dropping the company out of the top five earlier this year.

So far there are only two offerings using the BlackBerry 10. The touchscreen Z10, which shipped one million units since it began rolling out in January, just recently made its way to the U.S. at the end of March. BlackBerry's Q10 is expected to see worldwide distribution by the end of quarter two.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 67
    jdsonicejdsonice Posts: 156member
    And I expect to win the lotto daily.
  • Reply 2 of 67
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I am at a loss to understand how they think such an old, obsolete phone design has any chance in hell of selling 10s of millions.

• Reply 3 of 67
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    mstone wrote: »
    I am at a lose to understand how they think such an old, obsolete phone design has any chance in hell of selling 10s of millions.
    Who would want this except for maybe company CEOs? I'm sorry but the guy is delusional. And this is all based off anecdotal evidence from ONE store in the UK.
  • Reply 4 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Who would want this except for maybe company CEOs? I'm sorry but the guy is delusional. And this is all based off anecdotal evidence from ONE store in the UK.

Our CEO still has one but he confessed the other day that he will switch to iPhone when the next one is released, not because he doesn't like his ancient BB, but because he received a message from Chase Bank that it is discontinuing support for BB in online banking.

• Reply 5 of 67
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    In dollars or devices? Feasible in dollars but highly doubtful in devices.
  • Reply 6 of 67
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Which CEO said it? ;-)
  • Reply 7 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

In dollars or devices? Feasible in dollars but highly doubtful in devices.

He said units

• Reply 8 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Which CEO said it? ;-)

They just have the one now...

• Reply 9 of 67
    I think you guys are underestimating how successful this phone will be. I am a big Mac fan, have a houseful of Apple phones, iPads, laptops but FOR BUSINESS I am ditching my iPhone for a Q10. I will keep my personal iPhone and will use my MacBook everyday. I am more productive with a keyboard and when you deal with 150 emails and texts per day the keyboard is the only way to go. I have actually put my iPhone 4 from my company back in the drawer and resurrected a Blackberry Bold until I can order a Q10. Give me a real BB keyboard anyday, the iPhone is fun, but I can do more, faster, and more accurately on a BB. Hurry up and ship it in the US BB. Verizon has several orders just waiting to be put in from our company.
  • Reply 10 of 67
    rbbarrett wrote: »
    I think you guys are underestimating how successful this phone will be. I am a big Mac fan, have a houseful of Apple phones, iPads, laptops but FOR BUSINESS I am ditching my iPhone for a Q10. I will keep my personal iPhone and will use my MacBook everyday. I am more productive with a keyboard and when you deal with 150 emails and texts per day the keyboard is the only way to go. I have actually put my iPhone 4 from my company back in the drawer and resurrected a Blackberry Bold until I can order a Q10. Give me a real BB keyboard anyday, the iPhone is fun, but I can do more, faster, and more accurately on a BB. Hurry up and ship it in the US BB. Verizon has several orders just waiting to be put in from our company.

All they need are millions more people like you ;)
  • Reply 11 of 67
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Even today we still need stone workers.

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 12 of 67

If your 150 daily emails are as wordy as your post then I understand why you need a physical keyboard:)

Dealing with 800+ emails per day with the iPhone like a breeze.

• Reply 13 of 67
    geez, Blackberry needs to call it a day already...
  • Reply 14 of 67
    gijoeinlagijoeinla Posts: 215member
    ireland wrote: »
    Which CEO said it? ;-)

The CEO of Same-sung :)
  • Reply 15 of 67
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Hope springs eternal.image

• Reply 16 of 67
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

All they need are millions more people like you image

Correction........"Several tens of millions" image

That's the difference between Apple and others. Steve Jobs said he'd be happy with 1% of the mobile phone sales when the original iphone was released and now this guy, Heins, is going out on a limb to say he anticipates several tens of millions sold. Granted Apple was breaking into the phone business and Blackberry has an installed user base to upgrade and build from, but, Blackberry is still an underdog, at this point.

I'd rather invest where a CEO underestimates and over performs rather than a CEO that overestimates and underperforms....anyday.

• Reply 17 of 67
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I'm sure they'll sell several tens.
  • Reply 18 of 67
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Well, no matter, whoever they are, wherever they are.... I hope BB owns the qwerty smartphone market. I hope it integrates well with iCloud. Qwerty BB is not a threat even if it is a sizeable market. Some people will never change.

• Reply 19 of 67
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member

What astonishes me is that he refers to the installed base of around 70 million users, as if all of them were comparable.

A) A lot of them are on cheap Curves. None of the companies I know in India will upgrade regular managers from a Curve to a Q10 or Z10 (both roughly 3-4 times more expensive) - this is a Cxx-level and beyond price point. And our customers in Europe have moved beyond BB long ago, most of them have deployed MDM solutions that do not even support BB10.

B) A lot of the old BBs in BRIC countries are still on 2G plans with very low, often flat/unlimited, data tariffs. Companies shun recurring charges even more.

The other problem is of course, that the Q10 by far outselling the Z10 (if that's the case) will have immediate impact on the application developers and how they will design their apps. Touch and the bigger screen will become an afterthought.

• Reply 20 of 67

It does seem to be an antiquated style.

Banking on old technology doesn't seem very bright. I guess we'll see. 

Music companies still manufacture CD's, I think.