Apple's MacBook Pro named 'Best Performing Windows Laptop' by IT company

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 74
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Would you kindly explain how you came to imagine that what I've experienced with the many dozens of computers purchases I've authorized over the years didn't happen?

• Reply 62 of 74
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    macrulez wrote: »
    Would you kindly explain how you came to imagine that what I've experienced with the many dozens of computers purchases I've authorized over the years didn't happen?

It's not that I have reason to believe your vague and oddly even distribution of computer purchases over the years didn't happen, it's that I have no reason to believe they did happen. Same goes for the summary of your experience, which is (as usual) concisely formulated to contradict the conclusion of the pro-Apple articles and comments.

You have made it quite clear your purpose here is to contend with everything that is pro-Apple, which gives your statements zero credibility. It doesn't mean your statements are false or even implausible, just not credible. Other members here who are pro-Apple have no reason to be disingenuous about their experiences because they'd be lying to themselves and it's hard to keep that up for a long time.

What is quite funny is that people who aren't pro-Apple assume that everyone else is delusional and being tricked into paying too much money and need to be convinced otherwise. I've seen people reinstalling Windows declaring that it's normal to have to do this regularly to clean it out (I know it's not for Windows), while at the same time telling me that it's probably the same with Macs. I've sat at Windows machines for hours weeding out malware and yet their owners would maintain that Macs are merely secure because nobody uses them. I see people in message boards all the time declaring Android devices to be a fraction of the price of Apple products while talking about Samsung's flagship devices, which are comparable in price. To me, that's delusional.

Now, my vague anecdotes may well lack credibility for you and regardless, have the same limited scope but here's the difference: I don't care if you believe them and I don't go around posting them on pro-Microsoft or Google forums. You seem to care that we all believe every single contentious post you make. You, like many others, aren't content to accept that some people genuinely prefer Apple products and have better experiences with them and don't actually mind paying the premium. For some reason, that preference seems to annoy people.

Perhaps you can enlighten everyone (for the sake of entertainment and anthropology) why it is that people who have little admiration for certain products, feel the need to persuade people who do why they shouldn't feel that way? Don't you think that's more of a behavioural problem than buying products you like and talking about them with other people who also like them?

It's good to get a different perspective on things from people and it can promote healthy discussion when it's done in the right way and for the right reason. When it's not done in the right way, as you repeatedly demonstrate, the only effect is annoyance and then the claim is that there's no opportunity for healthy discussion. You claim there's a problem despite being one of the root causes. If you had a credible reason to be a member of the forum and made reasonable posts, then perhaps you'd find the discussion more to your liking. Given that there are other forums that do seem to be to your liking, perhaps frequenting them more and this one less would be in your best interests.
  • Reply 62 of 74

It's not that I have reason to believe your vague and oddly even distribution of computer purchases over the years didn't happen, it's that I have no reason to believe they did happen. Same goes for the summary of your experience, which is (as usual) concisely formulated to contradict the conclusion of the pro-Apple articles and comments.

You have made it quite clear your purpose here is to contend with everything that is pro-Apple, which gives your statements zero credibility. It doesn't mean your statements are false or even implausible, just not credible. Other members here who are pro-Apple have no reason to be disingenuous about their experiences because they'd be lying to themselves and it's hard to keep that up for a long time.

What is quite funny is that people who aren't pro-Apple assume that everyone else is delusional and being tricked into paying too much money and need to be convinced otherwise. I've seen people reinstalling Windows declaring that it's normal to have to do this regularly to clean it out (I know it's not for Windows), while at the same time telling me that it's probably the same with Macs. I've sat at Windows machines for hours weeding out malware and yet their owners would maintain that Macs are merely secure because nobody uses them. I see people in message boards all the time declaring Android devices to be a fraction of the price of Apple products while talking about Samsung's flagship devices, which are comparable in price. To me, that's delusional.

Now, my vague anecdotes may well lack credibility for you and regardless, have the same limited scope but here's the difference: I don't care if you believe them and I don't go around posting them on pro-Microsoft or Google forums. You seem to care that we all believe every single contentious post you make. You, like many others, aren't content to accept that some people genuinely prefer Apple products and have better experiences with them and don't actually mind paying the premium. For some reason, that preference seems to annoy people.

Perhaps you can enlighten everyone (for the sake of entertainment and anthropology) why it is that people who have little admiration for certain products, feel the need to persuade people who do why they shouldn't feel that way? Don't you think that's more of a behavioural problem than buying products you like and talking about them with other people who also like them?

It's good to get a different perspective on things from people and it can promote healthy discussion when it's done in the right way and for the right reason. When it's not done in the right way, as you repeatedly demonstrate, the only effect is annoyance and then the claim is that there's no opportunity for healthy discussion. You claim there's a problem despite being one of the root causes. If you had a credible reason to be a member of the forum and made reasonable posts, then perhaps you'd find the discussion more to your liking. Given that there are other forums that do seem to be to your liking, perhaps frequenting them more and this one less would be in your best interests.
  • Reply 64 of 74
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Wow. What an incredible, well founded and reasoned post. Commendable Marvin. Excellent post, also 'on its own'.
  • Reply 65 of 74
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Wow. What an incredible, well founded and reasoned post. Commendable Marvin. Excellent post, also 'on its own'.

+ 1  

• Reply 66 of 74
    mac'em xmac'em x Posts: 108member

Quote:

I wouldn't say the pro runs windows better than a comparable laptop. The article is misleading.

You're describing your impressions. The article is describing the result of large-scale testing. The article wins.

Quote:

Macs are not for engineering yet but...

Macs are for engineering.

• Reply 67 of 74
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

Another thing to keep in mind is that many of these PCs are actually decent devices, it's simply Windows and all the crap that comes with free Windows installs that sucks.  

I've got a ThinkPad, I wiped Windows and installed Ubuntu Linux, runs much better than it ever did with Windows.  Microsoft seems to be in self-destruct mode these days...

Yup that's what I did with my Thinkpad X220T, wiped it and installed Arch Linux, use VirtualBox if I need to run a Windows program. I got the ThinkPad from work, we would love to use Macs but Apple just can't compete in price and service that say HP or Lenovo can. Dell for instance has same day onsite repair and they don't really ever do anything but just give us a new machinet. I think Apple has onsite service in the states but not here.. Plus I don't know what it is about the bank I work but all laptops must have removable batteries and docking stations, some corporate rule that lingered from the 90's.

• Reply 68 of 74
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac'em X View Post

Macs are for engineering.

Well it really depends on what kind of engineering you do, if you want to use a Tesla or multiple Quadro/FireGL cards you'll need to go with a Windows or Linux machine. Using a Tesla card for video encoding or 3D work is friggen amazing. I can encode a 720P 30 min video to MP4 in 2:30 min. Frankly if you do any pro video work you'd be insane for not owning a Tesla. Just buy a used one from Ebay, they go for under 400 bucks.

• Reply 69 of 74
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 70 of 74
    Have you considered the possibility that my post to another forum member wasn't aiming for your personal approval?

I don't think it was aiming for anyone's approval and most likely achieved that. Your post to the other member was to say the opposite of what they said to counter their conclusion.

Like if someone said 'everywhere I went yesterday, I saw people using iPhones', you'd jump in and say 'everywhere I went yesterday, I saw people using Android phones' and then if anyone criticised it you'd say 'hey, I'm just sharing my experience. Sigh, why can't people be more reasonable'. It gets old, you need to come up with something more creative or believable. If nobody believes anything you say then it's just wasted effort.
    The more astute reader will note that I rarely criticize Apple's products at all, and indeed the worst thing I've suggested in this thread is that they're at least on par with others.

Yeah we've all noticed what you do. It's still not clear what you're getting out of it. Here's some of your latest gems:

"Is Apple's R&D spending higher than their legal fees yet?"
    "It may well be that that Apple's numbers are as low as you suggest."
    "iOS apps are more grabby with your personal data than Android apps"
    "Apple is indeed an amazing technology company if they have the means to address an issue with Microsoft's Exchange server, which first appeared after a change to iOS, by making more changes to iOS."
    In a world imagined by so many here, everything must be either "pro-Apple" or "anti-Apple". But in the real world, there's a wide range of views possible.

We're not talking about everything in the world though, just this forum. This is a forum about Apple. If your only purpose is to discredit anything about Apple then you are in the anti-Apple category. By all means pick another part of the wide range of views, at the very least to share something worth reading.
  • Reply 71 of 74
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post

This is no joke. Like 90% of the people I've showed this to didn't even know u can run Windows on a Mac. They should run an ad like "Pay $500 for a laptop running Windows. Or buy a Mac for $1000 and have Windows run *correctly*"

I hope you realize you can also install stock Windows on any of the others. Either way it's the cost of a Windows license. They used to include disks so you could do a clean reinstall if you wished. Now that is no longer the case.

• Reply 72 of 74
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 73 of 74
    Apparently the only views worth sharing here are double-standards that favor one brand. Given that you took exception to the news articles I linked to without even attempting to offer a single fact to refute any of them and instead indulged in yet another ad hominem, thank you for proving my point.

Your point seems to be:

- you don't like the forum discussion
    - you're staying to annoy people
    - you enjoy annoying people
    - you have nothing worthwhile to say about the company the forum is about
    - when you don't get to annoy people freely, you claim you are a victim of oppression

Did I miss any out? There are other members who make decent contributions without being entirely pro-Apple but they put some effort into their posts so they are at least believable. It's really in your own best interests to make your contributions credible because otherwise it's just wasted effort.
  • Reply 74 of 74
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Apparently the only views worth sharing here are double-standards that favor one brand.  Given that you took exception to the news articles I linked to without even attempting to offer a single fact to refute any of them and instead indulged in yet another ad hominem, thank you for proving my point.

Marvin's nicer than me in that the above was his way of saying shut up and go away.