Samsung's new 7" Galaxy Tab 3 to take on Apple's iPad mini, and take phone calls

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 154
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

According to Forbes, Samsung is planning to release a larger tablet called [no joke here] Galaxy Tab 3 Plus. This one will have a pimped out spec sheet so the tech blogs can call it an iPad killer. Not sure what the point of it is though when they make the Nexus 10. Unless that doesn't make them any money?

Spagetti approach, make 15 different versions of the same thing and throw them at the wall.  See which one sticks and sell it for 5% margin.

• Reply 142 of 154

Most people want just a single portable device.    Both the phone and tablet are compromises.  A phone is portable, while a tablet is more functional.  A 5 inch iphone would have been cool.  sigh

• Reply 143 of 154

It is always interesting to observe limited thinking. What is the difference between FaceTime and a phone call, video phone call vs voice phone call. Why FaceTime is a feature and voice call is not

• Reply 144 of 154
    woochiferwoochifer Posts: 385member

Even with voice capability, the Tab 3 is gimped for one simple reason -- no LTE capability.  I would hope this is a typo, because even Samsung's Tab 2 cellular-enabled models have 4G LTE capability.  Adding one feature only to cripple another one is not exactly an improvement.  I use an iPad 3 with a data plan.  Whenever the device goes outside of LTE coverage, it's painfully slow and a lot more noticeable precisely because of the larger screen. 

Even without this handicap, I simply cannot see the voice-enabled Tab 3 serving as the only mobile device for a whole lot of people.  Another one of these jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none devices.  Just another example of Samsung churning out as many models as possible to try and hit every possible checklist combination, regardless of whether the features are well implemented.  Samsung's trying to be the new Apple, but instead they look more and more like the new Nokia, with ever proliferating SKUs and narrowing niche marketing. 

During Nokia's heyday, the analysts fell all over themselves to praise the company's ability to fill a market niche by rapidly cobbling together a phone design that met a particular use case and then mass producing that design by the tens of thousands.  Their core competency was production and time-to-market, not on innovation or sweating the details.  This is the same trap that Samsung is now falling into.  Their mindset is basically stuffing as many features into their devices as possible, filling out spec sheets, and spitting out one new model after another in quick succession.  All the while, they spread themselves so thin trying to be all things to all people that they lose their product focus. 

People might complain about Apple leaving certain features out, but in general, they get the core functionality of their devices right.

• Reply 145 of 154
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Not a "stupid idea" for everyone... I am 73 years old, retired... I receive/make only a few calls per day. During the grandkids soccer season (6 practices and 3 games per week) I carry an iPad and an iPhone. The phone calls are only used to co-ordinate pickups and game times, etc.

If the iPad could make/receive phone calls, I could carry only one device.. The iPad screen and kb better serve my old eyes and fat fingers!

BTW, As you mature you care more about results than how you look to others...

Your setup has flaws.  First of all, since it is your phone you have to carry it with you all the time.  You can not put it in your pocket.  So you must carry a bad with you when you move around even doing exercises.

• Reply 147 of 154

Didnt make a impression with the song at all. :(

• Reply 148 of 154
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post

During Nokia's heyday, the analysts fell all over themselves to praise the company's ability to fill a market niche by rapidly cobbling together a phone design that met a particular use case and then mass producing that design by the tens of thousands.  Their core competency was production and time-to-market, not on innovation or sweating the details.  This is the same trap that Samsung is now falling into.  Their mindset is basically stuffing as many features into their devices as possible, filling out spec sheets, and spitting out one new model after another in quick succession.  All the while, they spread themselves so thin trying to be all things to all people that they lose their product focus. 

I wouldn't characterize it as a trap.  It is a business strategy that is often successful.  Simply fill all the niches so your competitor has no where to go.  It works fine until someone comes up with a disruptive device.  That's what happened to Nokia when the iPhone came along.  Currently with only incremental improvements in smart phones it isn't a bad strategy.

• Reply 149 of 154
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I've never figured out why the iPad cannot receive calls.

Time for Apple to change that.

Why?  Everyone needs an iphone and an ipad(mini).  Combine them and make it another choice doesn't make sense to the bottom line.

• Reply 150 of 154
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Speaking of Nokia, how about their $20 phone, the Nokia 105?

http://www.ibtimes.com/nokias-20-phone-6-people-could-use-nokia-105-1226505#

I've read it even has a 20% profit margin.

• Reply 151 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Not a "stupid idea" for everyone... I am 73 years old, retired... I receive/make only a few calls per day. During the grandkids soccer season (6 practices and 3 games per week) I carry an iPad and an iPhone. The phone calls are only used to co-ordinate pickups and game times, etc.

If the iPad could make/receive phone calls, I could carry only one device.. The iPad screen and kb better serve my old eyes and fat fingers!

BTW, As you mature you care more about results than how you look to others...

Just wait a bit.  My prediction is that Apple will come out with an ipad which can be used as a phone as well next year.

• Reply 152 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

It could make sense only if two devices could share the same phone number. If you need to pay for s separate plan then it it doesn't make sense

Use family plan to pay less for the second number and use Google Voice to combine the 2 phone numbers into 1.  

• Reply 153 of 154
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by ipen View Post

Just wait a bit.  My prediction is that Apple will come out with an ipad which can be used as a phone as well next year.

They came out with one in 2010.

• Reply 154 of 154
    Samsung making old technology. Now if this was a 7 with octo core with better cameras more memory