Microsoft Windows Phone commercial mocks Apple-Samsung wars to promote Nokia Lumia

Comments

• Reply 61 of 90

Love the Commercial... "Weeeeeeee!"

Is Stephen Elop (CEO Nokia) the minister? Looks a lot like him.

• Reply 62 of 90

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Oh Microsoft! How does it feel to be the Linux of the smartphone world?

Actually Android is the Linux of the smartphone world and it seems it is coming to the desktop/laptop as well

• Reply 63 of 90
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member

That ad was funny!  Great job Nokia.

• Reply 64 of 90
    ijoynerijoyner Posts: 135member
    Pathetic ad. MS is indeed on the way out. Their primary business model is still to rubbish the other players - that's why they're failing.
  • Reply 65 of 90
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Looking at first couple of quarters Apple had with iPhone sale figures, I'd say Nokia is not doing too bad. On the contrary, when one consider how much tougher competition is nowadays.

Really? You're actually going there? Did you actually type that with a straight face? 

The consumer smartphone market was pretty much non-existant when the iPhone launched. 

Oh, and it started at $599. 

On CONTRACT. 

On 1 carrier. 

In 1 country. 

I mean.. come on. If you really need to compare sales of ANY current phone to that of the original iPhone initially- then you're reaching. You may as well also admire how impressive Nokia's phones are compared to the original iPhone's 2G connection. 

• Reply 66 of 90
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Of course that they all still committing a big mistake about stereotyping iOS users as fanatics. While millions buy the iPhone for status, the best costumers are the ones that use it to get work done. EVERYONE that buys a galaxy S only do it because of ads. The phone is mid range at best, be it on build quality, screen or "work-ready" features and the ecosystem is very very low-end.

Is the Lumia different? It just looks like a a different toy, it won't look good to a serious smartphone user that already has an iPhone.

You would have been great in this commercial. I can see you grabbing a bottle of vinho de porto and jumping through the air with an expression of pure rage and smashing it over the head of that guy holding the galaxy tab. Not all iOS users are fanatics but you my friend fit that stereotype to a tee. 

• Reply 67 of 90

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCProfessor View Post

I actually own two of them. After credits, rebates, and free accessories, ATT/Nokia was paying people to take them this past holiday season. I got it as a backup phone... good thing since my daughter's IP5 was stolen, but we'll get her back into another IP5 soon. But the phone hardware is awesome. The OS is refreshing in a weird sense. It's like eating steak/lobster 6 nights a week and on the 7th night you have a hotdog loaded with chili mustard and onions.

I also own the 920.  I made the switch back in November.  I have a Mac and I have found that just because I have a Mac does not mean I NEED to own an iPhone anymore.  I bought the phone i liked the best.  There are apps that I can download that I can upload all my iTunes content to the phone and SkyDrive puts my photos on the computer.  Will I go back to the iPhone?  If they make a phone that I like more than other phones.  I am not loyal to any company.  

• Reply 68 of 90
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    Like barf out
    Gag me with a spoon
    I am sure
    Totally
  • Reply 69 of 90
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Like most generalizations, this is not true. I am iPhone user since 2009 and I am looking at Lumia 920. My iPhone still serves me well so I'm not desperate to replace it, thus I might wait second half of this year to check iPhone 5s and new Lumias, so while my switch is not set in stone, it is very likely.

Rest of your post... our bosses use iPhones and our senior and system engineers use S3. Bosses are also with tech background, and they all use their phones (work related) almost identically - emails, phone,calendar, texting, ConnectWise client (crappy on both platforms), browsing. Both platforms are performing equally well for us - that is, extremely well - as we have good IT infrastructure and basically zero downtime with our internal services. One slight advantage of S3, as observed - while resolutions are comparable, larger screen makes S3 a bit less claustrophobic in web browsing primarily, but some other tasks as well.

And that's a stupid observation because dozens of phones with better screens exist. In fact, a few phones are better on almost everything.

• Reply 70 of 90
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

You would have been great in this commercial. I can see you grabbing a bottle of vinho de porto and jumping through the air with an expression of pure rage and smashing it over the head of that guy holding the galaxy tab. Not all iOS users are fanatics but you my friend fit that stereotype to a tee. 

Vinho do porto on the head of someone that bought a galaxy tab? Oh boy, why would i waste great wine on a head full of sh*t?

• Reply 71 of 90
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    This was an entertaining ad. However, it was more about Apple and Samsung and touting their features rather than the features that MSFT's phone offers that the others don't currently offer. So I can't say it was great because I didn't learn anything about why MSFT's phone is any better than the others....accept others feel more passionately about their phone.
  • Reply 72 of 90
    edz1edz1 Posts: 1member

Now that comment was spot on (Linux of the smartphone world).  I've moved to W8, WP8 and Surface Pro and I'll say that, as opposed to awesome toys, these products help get work done.  My only disappointment is that I feel very......  alone....  like I'm on an island with some of the best products in the world and nobody knows.

• Reply 73 of 90

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdZ1 View Post

Now that comment was spot on (Linux of the smartphone world).  I've moved to W8, WP8 and Surface Pro and I'll say that, as opposed to awesome toys, these products help get work done.  My only disappointment is that I feel very......  alone....  like I'm on an island with some of the best products in the world and nobody knows.

A phone that is worse on every single metric than the iphone, an hybrid that is worse on every single the air does and on everything the iPad does, an OS that is a joke compared to the awesome plataform that is iOS or the greatness that defines OSX.

Best products? Shut up.

• Reply 74 of 90
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by EdZ1 View Post

…toys…

Shut up and go away, you worthless troll.

My only disappointment is that I feel very......  alone....  like I'm on an island with some of the best products in the world and nobody knows.

You're only alone on the Isle of Delusion because it refuses to show you the tens of millions of others who reside there.

• Reply 75 of 90
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    "Don't fight. Switch"...

to a garish luminous colored phone nobody cares about enough to fight over. They get points for making a funny ad though. "Excuse me, do you mind moving your enormous phone".
  • Reply 76 of 90
    It is a point that Microsoft advertises colicky keyboards, google advertises giant phones that can touch, and apple advertises the phone can carry a conversation however it has changed.
  • Reply 77 of 90
    I thought ad was pretty good too! But no switch here!
  • Reply 78 of 90
    gfczgfcz Posts: 1member

I enjoyed the add. And then I red comments - and realized how much of this add is true. Most people writing that lumia 920 is a "wreck" or "garbage" truly never even saw/hold/experienced one. I had Iphone 4S, 2 weeks ago I switched to Lumia 920. For my work I use Office (word, excel), photo camera and skype a lot...everyday. And what can I say... I cant think of even one reason why Iphone was better. Surfing the net is faster, and I enjoy the design and bigger screen that works with gloves (ohh I love it when weather is cold out). Ohhh and wireless charging too, although I dont use is often.

To sum up - no Im not getting paid for this post, as I am sure a lot of Samsung writers do. I actually switched two weeks ago and so happy. I dont even care if Nok or Microsoft fail and exit smartphone market. Im just grateful for the beauty they produced.

• Reply 79 of 90
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Very funny Ad, I still haven't seen a Nokia 920 on the street so I wonder who's buying them. I'm still pissed that Nokia dumped Meego, my Nokia N9 was pure perfection. So no new Nokia for me.
  • Reply 80 of 90
    waynebawayneba Posts: 1member
    Do you not think that you are not as independent as you think?

Lets face it the WP8 is a better phone than iPhone. The nokia maps are far superior. The live tiles are a great idea and frankly I remember the launch of iPhone where everyone got excited on a daily basis about the new app in the appstore. There were so few you could actually notice what was new.

The apple discipline around apps is being copied by Microsoft and that is a good thing. Just like microsofts investment in apple all those years ago to keep apple afloat was also a good thing.