BlackBerry CEO expects 'several tens of millions' of Q10 unit sales

Comments

• Reply 41 of 67

mstone

I am at a loss to understand how they think such an old, obsolete phone design has any chance in hell of selling 10s of millions

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************************

That's the problem with Apple users, they don't understand.

• Reply 42 of 67
    Me thinks Blackberry CEO needs to lay off the wacky tobaccy... So if he doesn't sell "10 million" will his pay be slashed?
  • Reply 43 of 67
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member

is this Retroinsider or Appleinsider?

• Reply 44 of 67
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    pogo007 wrote: »
    I think a lot of people are underestimating BlackBerry, just like every body was with Apple in 1997. I think RIM did a great job with acquiring solid companies to make BlackBerry successful. I have been a apple fan for a long time and still am. I love Apple computers and will always continue to do so. The iphone though I recently gave up. The reason for this is simple, for starters there is no removable battery, second is that the keyboard on the iphone just sucks for people who have to write in more than one language. I use to struggle so much with the iphone to always change the keyboard language from English to French all the time. Some people will say well its so easy to do, we'll it is but it gets really annoying when you have to do it all the time and always have to remember to switch your keyboard language for particular clients. I think the q10 will sell in the millions for sure as there is a strong demand for keyboards and anybody doing serious emails will end up probably getting it.
    I kind of get where you're going, but the removable battery point.... Seriously?
  • Reply 45 of 67
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    rbbarrett wrote: »
    I think you guys are underestimating how successful this phone will be. I am a big Mac fan, have a houseful of Apple phones, iPads, laptops but FOR BUSINESS I am ditching my iPhone for a Q10. I will keep my personal iPhone and will use my MacBook everyday. I am more productive with a keyboard and when you deal with 150 emails and texts per day the keyboard is the only way to go. I have actually put my iPhone 4 from my company back in the drawer and resurrected a Blackberry Bold until I can order a Q10. Give me a real BB keyboard anyday, the iPhone is fun, but I can do more, faster, and more accurately on a BB. Hurry up and ship it in the US BB. Verizon has several orders just waiting to be put in from our company.

I don't understand this, a fan of blackberry or android always claimed that he is also a huge Apple fan with a house full of Apple gadgets.

Get a life dude.
  • Reply 46 of 67
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

The only people who have been cracking jokes are Eric Schmidt and these fellows.

• Reply 47 of 67
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    mstone wrote: »
    They just have the one now...

I know, it was a joke. I used find it funny they had two CEOs.
  • Reply 48 of 67
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

I fin it awesome that every time an article about blackberry is written, dozens of new accounts are created, be it on Cnet, Verge, Apple rumours sites.

Why no one states the obvious?

• Reply 49 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I kind of get where you're going, but the removable battery point.... Seriously?

I wonder why Mophie juice pack is such a popular product

• Reply 50 of 67
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

It does seem to be an antiquated style.

Banking on old technology doesn't seem very bright. I guess we'll see. 

Music companies still manufacture CD's, I think.

In the case of music, digital downloads are not only barely noticeably inferior to CDs, they also provide a level of convenience that cannot be matched. In the case of the Q10, the physical keyboard is still much superior to the virtual one. I question whether 10s of millions of people feel that strongly, but there will be a decent number. What BB should work on is a cheaper version of the Q10.

• Reply 51 of 67
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

I fin it awesome that every time an article about blackberry is written, dozens of new accounts are created, be it on Cnet, Verge, Apple rumours sites.

Why no one states the obvious?

Ok. I will state the obvious. You spend too much time on too many tech sites, examining trivial details that can't possibly contribute to your income (or perhaps your academic performance). ;-)

• Reply 52 of 67
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by RBBarrett View Post

I think you guys are underestimating how successful this phone will be.

You can't underestimate 0%.

I am a big Mac fan, have a houseful of Apple phones, iPads, laptops…

SHUT UP. Rules #4 & 5.

…when you deal with 150 emails and texts per day the keyboard is the only way to go.

Absolutely ludicrous. Your lack of ability does not preclude it being better.

Give me a real BB keyboard anyway…

Said people in 2006. NOT SINCE.

…the iPhone is fun, but I can do more, faster, and more accurately on a BB.

Maybe actually put some work into the future, huh?

Originally Posted by pogo007 View Post

I think a lot of people are underestimating BlackBerry…

RIM employees, please go away. ECHO, ECHO!

…I have been a apple fan for a long time and still am. I love Apple computers and will always continue to do so.

SHUT UP. Rules #4 & 5. ECHO, ECHO!

…for starters there is no removable battery…

For starters, you're an idiot trapped in 2006.

…the keyboard on the iPhone just sucks for people who have to write in more than one language.

Press one button and the language changes. Now shut up and actually use the product before lying about it.

I use to struggle so much with the iphone to always change the keyboard language from English to French all the time.

You have never used an iPhone. 

…anybody doing serious emails will end up probably getting it.

Hey. We have a rule against multiple accounts. Also against corporate accounts. ECHO, ECHO!

Originally Posted by Blackberry 4Me View Post

That's the problem with Apple users, they don't understand.

No, RIM employee. You don't understand.

Originally Posted by DonPedro View Post

I wonder why Mophie juice pack is such a popular product

Comparatively, it isn't.

• Reply 53 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by pogo007 View Post

The reason for this is simple, for starters there is no removable battery, second is that the keyboard on the iphone just sucks for people who have to write in more than one language. I use to struggle so much with the iphone to always change the keyboard language from English to French all the time. Some people will say well its so easy to do, we'll it is but it gets really annoying when you have to do it all the time and always have to remember to switch your keyboard language for particular clients. I think the q10 will sell in the millions for sure as there is a strong demand for keyboards and anybody doing serious emails will end up probably getting it.

Wait... your saying that you can remove the BB's physical keyboard and replace with another language keyboard instead, and type in another language on the fly?

Um, until they have fully removable keyboards on the BB's, it will not be anywhere close to a software touch keyboard of any other device, that is able to change on the fly to keys you need for the needed language.  Try to change your BB's keyboard to an Asian one and see if you remember all the combo's to put in your correct characters.  With a software one, where you click the one you want instead of comboing it.

And why is it that CEO's love to use the MS version of "sold units" with the shipped numbers, and not the actually sold ones.  Oh, yea that's right to make it look like they are actually selling units. instead of using them as dust collectors in warehouses.

oh and just an FYI - physical removable keyboards on a portable device is a very bad idea.  One, it can come loose and get lost, the plug can get damaged and not able to type.  Or many other fun things can happen to cause things not to work, or not work correctly.

• Reply 54 of 67
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    hawkblade wrote: »
    Wait... your saying that you can remove the BB's physical keyboard and replace with another language keyboard instead, and type in another language on the fly?

Um, until they have fully removable keyboards on the BB's, it will not be anywhere close to a software touch keyboard of any other device, that is able to change on the fly to keys you need for the needed language.  Try to change your BB's keyboard to an Asian one and see if you remember all the combo's to put in your correct characters.  With a software one, where you click the one you want instead of comboing it.

And why is it that CEO's love to use the MS version of "sold units" with the shipped numbers, and not the actually sold ones.  Oh, yea that's right to make it look like they are actually selling units. instead of using them as dust collectors in warehouses.

oh and just an FYI - physical removable keyboards on a portable device is a very bad idea.  One, it can come loose and get lost, the plug can get damaged and not able to type.  Or many other fun things can happen to cause things not to work, or not work correctly.

Despite all the times that the iPhone has been called a "toy" nothing screams toy to me than having a bag full of interchangeable components for a phone. I've never heard of people changing out their HW keyboard on a phone, and the whole removable battery argument is always myopic. These people don't care about the longest battery life on a device, they care about being able to remove a panel, switch out the battery with another one, and replace the back panel.

You now have a dead battery that can't be charged unless you buy a separate charger for that specific internal battery (another component to carry) or you swap them back out with the phone and charge them separately. That not only means you're doing the swap twice as many times but you're also having to turn your phone off and on each time. I guess that's fin when your mobile OS crashes daily, but for iPhone owners that's not common.

And if you point out that you can carry an extra battery will charge the phone while it's on, being used, in your pocket, in your bag, etc. and do quite quickly they'll complain about having to carry it with them as if that wasn't happening with their Barbie phone with full tech wardrobe. You also can get many different battery size options that can work with cameras, tablets, etc.. and that can be charged while you're charging your iPhone, even off the same power cable depending on the type.
  • Reply 55 of 67
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

SHUT UP. Rules #4 & 5.

Press one button and the language changes. Now shut up and actually use the product before lying about it.

Hey. We have a rule against multiple accounts. Also against corporate accounts. ECHO, ECHO!

Comparatively, it isn't.

There are still many companies that insist on the level of security that BB has. Those companies will at least buy these and I still see plenty of people with BBs that I'm sure that most will upgrade to another BB.
  • Reply 56 of 67
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

There are still many companies that insist on the level of security that BB has. Those companies will at least buy these and I still see plenty of people with BBs that I'm sure that most will upgrade to another BB.

That is a fairy tale. There are several MDM solutions for iPhone and Android devices that meet or exceed BB's security and include features that are important for some corporations, like SharePoint support. Of course, they also cost money, and they have to replace some core iOS and Android apps with own apps, using own encryption keys and tunnelling, as both OS's security can be bypassed by simple jailbreaking or rooting. But nobody in environments with strict security requirements uses them like that.

• Reply 57 of 67
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Wow such negativity, who cares if a CEO of a company is optimistic. I for one endorse enthusiasm over ones products. There are still people who enjoy a good hardware keyboard especially when it's pared with a competent OS. I for one hope RIM does well, I want more competition not less.
  • Reply 58 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

SHUT UP. Rules #4 & 5.

Comparatively, it isn't.

Why such rage. Take it easy man or you might blow an iFuse, iFuse, iFuse, iFuse (Echo. Get it)

• Reply 59 of 67
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by DonPedro View Post

Why such rage.

I'm sick of anti-Apple trolls spewing blatant lies on our website. 

Get it

I get that you're a paid shill, yeah.

• Reply 60 of 67
    All they need are millions more people like you ;)
    10s of millions :)