DVD & projectors/macrovision

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I would like to set up a projector and DVD player but macrovision protection on the discs is making the picture unwatchable.

I've seen simple in-line macrovision removers on the internet (usually SCART or RCA connections) priced at around $60 and was wondering if they are any good and is the output useable to make back-up copies of my favorite DVDs/videos to tape or route through my digicam to iMovie/DVD-R?

Any thoughts or feed back will be appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    1.How is your DVD player connected to the projector?

(Component/Composite/Scart/SVHS etc)

2. Are you using original DVD's or copies?

I have a DVD player connected to a Sony projector and it works fine.

I don't think that there is any inherant reason that macrovision should interefere with performance, decoding is done correctly by the DVD player, but if you have a problem why noy fit a mod chip? That would make your machine Muliti-Region, allow you to skip past those annoying FBI warnings and remove macrovision.

BTW.. are you backing up DVD's 1:1? I didn't think we could do that on a superdrive, what are you using?

[ 09-28-2002: Message edited by: Zarathustra ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Macrovision was a system implemented to prevent pirating of dvd's to vcrs. The scrambler won't kick in unless your running the composite (rca) outputs to a vcr. Decent projectors would require either svhs or component video output for a decent picture onscreen. Vcr's lack these connections as they are more expensive to implement and due to the nature of the low quality of video and sound of vcrs, they would be totally useless. Having said this, macrovision does not affect SVHS and component outputs. So use either SVHS or component video to connect to your projector and there will be no problem. The second part you said that you wanted to make backup copies of your dvd's. Well considering that dvd blank discs cost a considerable amount, and the fact that you would want to make "backups" of all your dvd's, this would become very costly. If you did need a backup of a particular dvd because you lost it or what have tiy, it would be cheaper to go out and purchase another one rather than making backups of each dvd, as economies of scale would make it very costly to provide a safe guard that way. Any logical person would assume that you were wanting to make unlawful copies of dvd's, and that is not encouraged by anyone at applinsider im sure. I say this because i work in the entertainment retail industry, and i come across this often. I know for a fact that if what ive said abve is wrong about getting your projector to work, then you are either connecting it up wrong or there is something wrong with either you dvd player, projector or the cable that links them. I know the ways in which to "copy" dvd's: Video- waste of time as vhs is cheaper and you lose the rich surround content and clarity of the film. DVD- the dvd blanks are expensive. Plus there is also the moral concept.