Rumor: Boost Mobile to start prepaid iPhone sales in Q3

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
In a post to Twitter late Monday, user @evleaks, who has been reliable in leaking pictures and specifications of various cellular products in the past, said Boost Mobile will start carrying Apple's iPhone in the third quarter of 2013.

It is not clear if Boost will carry all iPhone models, if the rumor is indeed legitimate, and pricing was not mentioned in the tweet. This is the second Boost Mobile rumor to hit in the past year, as rumblings in June of 2012 said the prepaid carrier would start sales of the Apple handset in September of that year.

iPhone to Boost Mobile in Q3

While AppleInsider cannot confirm the veracity of @evleaks' claims, the Twitter user most recently leaked accurate images of the Facebook-integrated HTC First smartphone.

Apple has slowly expanded iPhone sales beyond the four major U.S. wireless carriers, The first U.S. carrier to sell a prepaid iPhone model was Leap Wireless' Cricket Communications, which initially offered the contract-free handset in June 2012 for $500 with an unlimited $55 per month plan.

Since then, the iPhone has made its way to other prepaid carriers like Virgin Mobile and, most recently, T-Mobile under the telecom's "Uncarrier" pricing plan.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8

Hopefully, it will be official then that you can transfer a Sprint iPhone to Boost rather than the unofficial way that some have been successful with in the past...

• Reply 2 of 8

I was on ATT, with the orig. iPhone, grandfathered in with unlimited data. I bought the iPad2 and asked ATT to tether it. I was told, not only would it be an additional $40/mo I would also lose my unlimited data plan.

I dropped them the next month and went to Sprint. (Never did tether my iPad.)

Boost, at present time may not be able to offer the coverage/services of the big three....but soon and very soon someone will.

And I will drop Sprint in a heart beat! 

Big Teleco in the US sux. Same with cable companies! :)

• Reply 3 of 8

My God.... one step away from selling "Mercedes" at the flea market.

• Reply 4 of 8
    65c81665c816 Posts: 136member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCProfessor View Post

My God.... one step away from selling "Mercedes" at the flea market.

Honestly, if you are being serious, this is a really fucked up view.

• Reply 5 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65C816 View Post

Honestly, if you are being serious, this is a really fucked up view.

Dry, lame sarcasm... nothing more but a lot less. 

• Reply 6 of 8
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I was on ATT, with the orig. iPhone, grandfathered in with unlimited data. I bought the iPad2 and asked ATT to tether it. I was told, not only would it be an additional $40/mo I would also lose my unlimited data plan.

Boost, at present time may not be able to offer the coverage/services of the big three....but soon and very soon someone will.

I was told the same thing, so I just got a Wifi+4G iPad on a separate line. It's an additional 50 bucks a month, but I use the crud out of that thing so it was a good idea in hindsight.

• Reply 7 of 8
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

You do realize that Sprint owns Boost right? They also own Virgin Mobile. Those are their two main pre-paid options they just use different branding.

• Reply 8 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

You do realize that Sprint owns Boost right? They also own Virgin Mobile. Those are their two main pre-paid options they just use different branding.

Crap! :)

I guess my only hope is Walmart's plan....not a big fan of Walmart. But I like them marginally better than the 3 telco companies.