Countdown to WWDC...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple's World Wide Developers Conference shall be held in early May. Apple has announced new products at this conference in the past.

What new or updated products can we expect to be announced?

Is there a better place to announce a PowerPC processor with a brand new 64bit architecture than a developers conference?

[ 02-14-2002: Message edited by: Nostradamus ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Just because a product is 'demoed' at WWDC doesn't mean it is launched. Remember how Apple showed off DP G4s at the show, but didn't launch them until MWNY?

WWDC might be a better place to launch 10.2/10.5 more than anything else. I don't think we'll see much in the way of new hardware launched.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    Well, the Lombard PowerBook G3s were launched at this show, as was the original iMac(now that was a big deal).
  • Reply 3 of 29
    That's true, but those are now 'old' machines. Apple hasn't launched a major new hardware product at WWDC in years.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    Fran, all what you say is true. However, just because a product hasn't been anounced at WWDC in a while, does not negate the possibility that another will.

I think WWDC in May is perfect for the G5.

It's obvious to me that if speed-bumped QuickSilvers are announced within the next week, that they are only an interim solution. If one remembers back to 1999, the Blue and White G3's were speed-bumped via a simple press release, only to be totally replaced by the G4's less than 3 months later.

WWDC is only slightly over 3 months away.

[ 01-21-2002: Message edited by: Nostradamus ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 29
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I think there'll just be an OS X announcement, no hardware.

[ 01-21-2002: Message edited by: EmAn ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 29
    Yes, of course there will be an OS X announcement?A 64bit OS to match a 64bit processor.

And what better place to show off the new capabilities of the new processor and recompiled OS than a developers conference?

[ 01-21-2002: Message edited by: Nostradamus ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 29
    If PowerBooks arent updated at MWTokyo or Seybold, then WWDC?
  • Reply 8 of 29
    Probably 10.2. And perhaps some pro apps...
  • Reply 9 of 29
    Looking ahead to WWDC. I don't need to be Nostradamus to predict that there will be speculation and rumormongering on these boards and on the rumor sites.

So what will everyone be clamoring about?

The G5 PowerMacs! They didn't show up at MWSF, they didn't make it for Seybold, they didn't make it at MWT, so against all logic and reason, everyone will prognosticate their arrival at WWDC.

My prediction. We'll see DDR at WWDC and Steve will hype it like the second coming of Christ.

But no G5.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    [quote]Originally posted by SFVcpz:

<strong>

&lt;snip&gt;

My prediction. We'll see DDR at WWDC and Steve will hype it like the second coming of Christ.

But no G5.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Even Steve's RDF is not strong enough to hype old technology. The fact is that Apple is peddling 2nd-tier technology at 1st-tier prices (new iMac notwithstanding). The ONLY way that Apple can do anything that resembles hype when it comes to the pro towers is to jump AT LEAST to the same level as the top of the line Win systems.

DDR RAM? Can you imagine what press they would receive? What a nightmare.

Now, if by some miraculous event the mere upgrading of the surrounding technology (bus, memory etc) yields SIGNIFICANT increases in performance that are demonstable (amd no, not just in the old standby Photoshop filters test), then an event would be worthwhile.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    If we see the G5 at WWDC, it will not be introduced in any machine. Instead, it will be like the dual processor machine shown before the machines were announced at MWNY.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by Mac Glue Sniffer:

<strong>(new iMac notwithstanding)</strong><hr></blockquote>

funny you should mention them. ONLY 100MHz BUS?!? WTF? when the PMs go DDR or better, you can bet your ass they will go 133 at MWNY or maybe the paris expo...
  • Reply 13 of 29
    flipflip Posts: 17member
    What about NAB2002 April 6-11 in Vegas? Seems like a good event for a "minor" (G4) speed bump.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    dtohdtoh Posts: 13member
    I kinda like the G5/64 bit OS idea Nostradamus is proposing, since This will have to change not only in the shipping OS, but more importantly to the suite of developer tools.

Now if we can get auto-vectorizing compilers and a faster JVM to go with those machines/OS.... Me=Happy.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Nostradamus:

<strong>Well, the Lombard PowerBook G3s were launched at this show, as was the original iMac(now that was a big deal).</strong><hr></blockquote>

original iMac was not launched/unveiled at WWDC. It was unveiled as a sneak attack for what was suppose to be a Powerbook (wallstreet) release event in early may. not WWDC though
  • Reply 16 of 29
    Does anyone think the new speed bumps can hold until MWNY or will they be updated at WWDC or earlier?
  • Reply 17 of 29
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member

<strong>Does anyone think the new speed bumps can hold until MWNY or will they be updated at WWDC or earlier?</strong><hr></blockquote>

My guess would be Seybold IF Apple is going to be there.

Of course, they could hold out until MWNY. At MWNY, the could release the apollo G4 with DDR. This configuration could probably last up to a year. Then, we get the G5 at MWNY '03. Depressing right? I could see Apple doing it.

I'm still optimistic the G5 will come out soon. Seems to me if you have a kick a$$ chip, why would you want to wait and allow AMD and Intel time to design their next generation chips. By then, when the G5 is released, it'll be just another fast chip. If they release it now, it'll be THE chip to get. At least until AMD/Intel catches up. I already read that one of those companies has started working on a multicore chip.

- Mark
  • Reply 18 of 29
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member

<strong>Does anyone think the new speed bumps can hold until MWNY or will they be updated at WWDC or earlier?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Apple has been getting some good press lately, and have been in the news quite a bit. The need to keep some of that momentum going. Analyists have stated that Apple has one of the best "brand recoginition" names in the computer, and is poised for a come back in the "tech come-back" era. OS X also could be a major contributer in expanding Apples iinstalation base. But right now they need to do something for thier pro users, even if its a modest speed bump, in preperation for the big anouncement. Personally I think that Apple also needs to add a new lower priced tier to their tower line-up to make up for the computer missing from their product matrix.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    This is a WWDC and not a hardware conference. This will be about developing applications for the Mac and notably Cocoa. I am hoping they will bring about EOF for Cocoa development. That is the most exciting thing about MacOS X is Cocoa. Remember this is a developer conference. Save the g5/g4s for other shows.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I can't see why Apple would announce a G5 at WWDC instead of MWNY, really, except for one reason: It would be in Apple's interest to get developers up to speed on the features of the 64-bit platform ASAP (not just the processor, but anything else they decide to stick in the mobo, and for the likely concurrent 10.2 release), if only because it will make a difference for some applications.

Still, I'd bet on G5s at MWNY at the very earliest.