Apple's next major market for iOS may be automotive

Comments

• Reply 61 of 81
    ireland wrote: »
    Utter drivel.
    How are Apple going to make money in the TV market? By selling a TV. End of article.

At higher prices than the competition and offering very little to justify that difference.
  • Reply 62 of 81
    Go straight by the numbers and it doesn't have to be. Whether people would pay those numbers (among other things) is a completely different story. 

The Apple TV can give a tidy 25% (or whatever it is, really) margin on the hardware and then sales of all the media purchased on it. At its price point, it's nearly a "stocking stuffer" or birthday gift, and it can be purchased and repurchased in a timeframe of just a few years with nearly no regard for it.

A TV's price point can't fulfill either of those.

And one can buy multiple Apple TVs for much less than a Apple branded television.
  • Reply 63 of 81
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member

Wy do you think heads are rolling and Forstall and crew are being led out the door?

See, you're making crap up. Zero facts about the matter. You don't actually know this, and so this is just a supposition.

Umm, you should read the news more before claiming this is a supposition and calling me a troll (from previous entries)

I'm not making this crap up and here are the facts again- Google it. Forstall out due to Maps and Siri fiasco's..

Forstall came out at launch with false claims. Apple is no where near ready to enter the automotive segment in any meaningful

way.

• Reply 64 of 81

Originally Posted by eat@me View Post

I'm not making this crap up and here are the facts again- Google it.

Much rather use Bing.

Forstall out due to Maps and Siri fiasco's..

Which you know because… you don't actually know. There is zero proof of anything anywhere in that link or the ones branching off of it, even. We do not know, period, the reasons (because only a fool would think it was simply "over Maps") behind that.

• Reply 65 of 81
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member

Agreed but Maps and Siri were the last straws - there were many other issues for his outing.  Ive is taking over.

Regarding Bing, my understanding is that they migrating and that Nokia location platform is powering Bing Maps on mobile and soon on Web.

• Reply 66 of 81
    The point to me about Apple getting into HDTV is not about Apple making money in the short term per-set, it'a about Apple making money long term because of more people bought deeper into the greater ecosystem.
  • Reply 67 of 81

Originally Posted by orangesauce View Post

The point to me about Apple getting into HDTV is not about Apple making money in the short term per-set, it'a about Apple making money long term because of more people bought deeper into the greater ecosystem.

But what can be done there that can't with an Apple TV? It's the same thing. Apple doesn't make printers (anymore). Should they, to get people "deeper into the greater ecosystem"? 

If I remember right, there's no money in printers. It's all in the ink. They gouge people on ink to make up for the below rock bottom printer prices. Ink cartridges for some printers cost more than the printers themselves. It's cheaper to buy a new printer than an ink refill.

There's no money in TVs, either. There IS money in TV content, hence Apple TV; a high-margin, potential-for-high-volume-thanks-to-price device that serves you up that content.

• Reply 68 of 81
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    There's no money in TVs, either. There IS money in TV content, hence Apple TV; a high-margin, potential-for-high-volume-thanks-to-price device that serves you up that content.

Right, there really isn't money in TVs, TV makers have been hurting for some time. I think you have to have a niche model to get margin, and having niche, high quality model at a premium that didn't save Pioneer's Kuro line despite high ratings and an enthusiastic customer base.

Selling media isn't that lucrative, it pays for itself and a little bit more. The margins are not likely to be anywhere near Apple's typical hardware margins. I won't say never, but I don't yet see Apple's angle in that market that isn't already pretty well served by their $99 box.

But if anyone can fix the TV UI model, maybe Apple can, though I think they could learn some things from competing platforms. For example, the Netflix player on PS3 can automatically advance to the next episode in a TV series without any intervention, Apple TV's Netflix player needs five button presses to play the next episode.
  • Reply 69 of 81
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member

Quote:

Originally Posted by eat@me View Post

Automotive? That was a laugh -

Apple's non-functional Franken Maps will drive you into a tree or completely wrong direction. It will take a 2-3 of years at least to get the level where Nokia and Google are at. The data is terrible and even worse when you get outside the US.

I looked up my house on Apple Maps and apparently there is a freeway running right through my house - you can't even make this sh*t up

no street view, not automotive grade by a long shot

Buzz-off troll.  Downright lying about how "bad" Apple Maps is just shows that you have to make stuff up, including you owning a device with Apple maps with the hopes that someone will believe the trash coming out of your mouth.  Go away.

I'll gladly accept an iOS-powered automotive system and the polish that will go along with it, then they band-aid solution garbage that Android puts out.  With all the malware infestation plaguing Android, would not be a far stretch to have one's car veer off the road because you decided that downloading an app for "Asian Bikini Models Wallpaper" installed a malware payload.

• Reply 70 of 81
    How about a touchscreen, home button hd camera and microphone stero speakers be added to steering wheel/ these features would allow no keys needed(face recognition and touchscreen switch) FaceTime video calls(your screen off unless parked) great music, and any other feature can be controlled by your steering wheel running iOS, yet screens off unless calls or something to touch screen, yet a remote, GPS to your call while off. They can even add radio controls while off. With simpler parts to the passenger seat yet always on. This would make it only a single button for your whole car all on when stopped, not when moving. I can't believe nobody else has thought of this as a future car-also hold down home on steering wheel and Siri does it all.
  • Reply 71 of 81
    Who makes the iPhone car mount in the BMW pic?
  • Reply 72 of 81
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    egold44 wrote: »
    Who makes the iPhone car mount in the BMW pic?

The article seems to imply it's part of the BMW system. It looks similar to a Griffin Road Trip, but I don't think it's that model.
  • Reply 73 of 81
    maltzmaltz Posts: 454member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Picture this: no more frigging mechanical dials on your dashboard.

The problem with a touchscreen is that you have to look at it (and therefore away from the road) to use it.  While I appreciate the flexibility you describe, I think it's better suited for the dashboard readouts or a HUD than the actual controls.  Give me a tactile knob or button over a touchscreen any day.

That said, there are things where a touchscreen is ideal.  A navigation system pretty much requires one, but make as much tactile as you can, and then leave only what you must in the touchscreen interface.

Otherwise, I'm right there with you.  The potential of iOS in a car is HUGE.  Car dashboard tech has been 5+ years behind for way too long.

• Reply 74 of 81

Originally Posted by Maltz View Post

The problem with a touchscreen is that you have to look at it (and therefore away from the road) to use it.

Siri! I did say that, I think. Maybe it was somewhere else.

No fiddly controls cluttering up your steering wheel, no accidentally hitting them when you're turning or their protrusions being in the way in a crisis… just ask your car to do stuff for you.

• Reply 75 of 81

Apple needs to go back to the basic....computers (especially mac pro)

• Reply 76 of 81
    It seems like some sort of Heads Up Display would be a far better solution.
    Isn't thats what fighter pilots ended up being satisfied with?
    Someone should make a leapfrog product.
  • Reply 77 of 81
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleinsiderFrm View Post

It seems like some sort of Heads Up Display would be a far better solution.

Isn't thats what fighter pilots ended up being satisfied with?

Someone should make a leapfrog product.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/car-tech/top-5-huds-in-modern-cars-today-1092312

Lexus looks to have the best of the 5.

• Reply 78 of 81
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by koban4max View Post

Apple needs to go back to the basic....computers (especially mac pro)

Nope.

• Reply 79 of 81
    eldernormeldernorm Posts: 232member
    To "eat@me 2012/11/08 06:28pm Automotive? That was a laugh -
    Apple's non-functional Franken Maps will drive you into a tree or completely wrong direction."

I had heard there were samsung paid trolls out posting junk about Apple. I had not seen one until now. Since Apple maps only had a small number of pops in its original release and now its running pretty good. I use the directions all the time and it takes me point to point OK.

So shame on the samsung trolling for money. I guess its the asian way.

Just a thought.
  • Reply 80 of 81
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by eldernorm View Post

So shame on the samsung trolling for money. I guess its the asian way.

Oh, heavens no. Companies anywhere, representing any race, have been guilty of doing this, and many in worse form than Samsung.