BlackBerry CEO predicts tablet market will diminish within five years

1246

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 101
    Is it any wonder blackberry lost so much market share? With an idiot like that I'm surprised their still in business. Clearly tablets are selling by the millions, and although their success is right infront of his face, he can't see it! Clearly he doesn't have a clue where technological alterations in the marketplace are going.
  • Reply 62 of 101

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post


    You have the benefit of being in 2013, but people like Paul Allen, Bill gates, those that ruled the industry back then said time after that that everyone had doubts. Although, all doubts were gone when they saw the final products.



    Provide specific quotes please.  Because I don't believe it since the ST line and Amigas were amongst the most popular computers from the mid 80s to the early 90s and they had GUIs.

  • Reply 63 of 101
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,903member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post



    "We don't know how to make a tablet so we will simply wish them away."



    Did I get that right?

     




    Wish them "into the cornfield" is more like it.

  • Reply 64 of 101
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member


    Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post


    It is much more enjoyable on the note. There's no denying that. 



     


    I'm denying it. *shrug*

  • Reply 65 of 101


    I want some of that crackberry he's been smoking.

  • Reply 66 of 101

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post


    It is much more enjoyable on the note. There's no denying that.



    Sure there is. Your statement is nothing but opinion that you are masquerading as if it's some universal fact.

  • Reply 67 of 101
    People have such short memories. I am not saying he is right just that it was only a handful of years ago the experts were saying tablets would not be a big thing. With technology progressing at its present pace the next big thing could very well be just around the corner. All it would take to replace the tablet is some moderate improvements in voice technology and a way to project a holographic screen.

    It could take three years or ten but it will happen. One of the biggest reasons I have always maintained that a desktop touchscreen is a fail is because the real future is in voice control of our devices. In reality a tablet is just a transitional device to pocket sized computing devices with a projected screen. The only real question is how long this phase will last.
  • Reply 68 of 101

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post


    You have the benefit of being in 2013, but people like Paul Allen, Bill gates, those that ruled the industry back then said time after that that everyone had doubts. Although, all doubts were gone when they saw the final products.



    I think you're confusing something.  Bill Gates showed IBM a prototype of Windows back in 1983 that IBM brushed off because they were building their own graphical shell called TopView.  I seriously doubt you can cite any CEO of a successful technology company from the 80s or 90s making sweeping denouncements of GUIs.

  • Reply 69 of 101

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Protagonistic View Post



    People have such short memories. I am not saying he is right just that it was only a handful of years ago the experts were saying tablets would not be a big thing. With technology progressing at its present pace the next big thing could very well be just around the corner. All it would take to replace the tablet is some moderate improvements in voice technology and a way to project a holographic screen.



    It could take three years or ten but it will happen. One of the biggest reasons I have always maintained that a desktop touchscreen is a fail is because the real future is in voice control of our devices. In reality a tablet is just a transitional device to pocket sized computing devices with a projected screen. The only real question is how long this phase will last.


    We've had voice control of devices for more than a decade now.  Welcome to the world of yesteryear!

  • Reply 70 of 101
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member


    Originally Posted by Protagonistic View Post

    One of the biggest reasons I have always maintained that a desktop touchscreen is a fail is because the real future is in voice control of our devices.


     


    Mmm… you can't really have an office full of people all talking to their computers simultaneously.


     


    A desktop touchscreen doesn't work because everyone wants it to be vertical. Everyone is stupid. image Apple, at least, realizes that vertical touchscreens just don't work. That's why I'm confident in the success of their mouse+keyboard successor.

  • Reply 71 of 101
    jdsonicejdsonice Posts: 156member
    Let me make some predictions (right out of my ass).

    In 5 years no one knows what is going to happen.

    In 5 years Blackberry will be a fruit.

    This guy will be on the dole in 5 years.
  • Reply 72 of 101
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    Tablets will disappear when something substantially better, that replaces them, comes along. Just like tablets replaced netbooks, something else could replace tablets. Whether that will happen in five years (or ever) is anyone's guess. I can't imagine what would replace tablets at this point; then again, I couldn't imagine that tablets would have replaced netbooks.

    It would be easy to guess something like Google Glasses would have a shot. However, Glasses aren't particularly good for media consumption (which is the primary use for tablets) -- it wouldn't be much fun to watch a movie superimposed on the real world, for example, but something might come along, who knows?

    Maybe Blackberry has something up their sleeves? OTOH, they've never really produced anything that disrupted the consumer space so it's hard to imagine they have a bead on something right now. Then again, I'm sure people said the same thing about Apple before the iPod came along...
  • Reply 73 of 101
    Thorsten Heins should take his pocket protector and go back to the consulting world where his style of thinking is prevalent. Nobody in technology takes this guy seriously for obvious reasons. He won't be at a tech firm in 5 years and BB may not be around either but tablets will - better than ever.
  • Reply 74 of 101
    jj.yuanjj.yuan Posts: 213member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by rhyde View Post



    Maybe Blackberry has something up their sleeves? OTOH, they've never really produced anything that disrupted the consumer space so it's hard to imagine they have a bead on something right now. Then again, I'm sure people said the same thing about Apple before the iPod came along...


     


    Guess we should never say never.


     


    BB could beat everyone by delivering something revolutionary. But it's not very likely, considering how they predicted iPhone's demise and their PlayBook's success.

  • Reply 75 of 101
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post


     


    5" is way too small for many.  Hell, even 7" is pushing it.  Really the minimum size for a tablet is the iPadmini.  Any smaller and you have huge tradeoffs for the portability.



    Yes, but at the moment many have an iPhone, an iPad and a laptop. the argument would be that the 5" phone would be a better device coupled with an iPad. Loose the laptop. Its not a one size fits all, but it makes sense.

  • Reply 76 of 101
    elehcdnelehcdn Posts: 388member
    I have the Sonhy Google TV, and there is nothing more frustrating than typing on the little remote for a TV across the room. If Blackberry is expecting to use their handset as a dumb remote for the TV and thinking that form factor can beat out a tablet with some sort of Airplay connection, they are headed even further down the path of irrelevance.
  • Reply 77 of 101


    This looks copycat to the press notes of 2007 of the same Blackberry execs, that time regarding iPhone. Perhaps they are looking the stock charts downside-up since then.


    Anyway, I guess he is not counting the Gulliver-like clients Samsung must be thinking on, as they phone-allowed their 7" tablet...

  • Reply 78 of 101


    This guy must be blurry-eyed, color-blind, and directionally-challenged, because he just called a spade a heart.

  • Reply 79 of 101
    palominepalomine Posts: 363member
    Ooh, a tablet with little bitty crunchy keys on it? Portrait or landscape?
    That's where they are going, back to the button keyboard, lol
  • Reply 80 of 101
    chandra69 wrote: »
    Thanks. BB is not coming up with any other tablets. Already we have million models of Samsung out there!

    I'll give RIM some credit for not re-entering the tablet space unless (they claim) they can provide differentiation or a better user experience, if I take them at their word. This is in contrast to the flood of "me too" iPad clones that appeared on the market around 2010. Perhaps Amateur Hour is over at Blackberry Inc.
Sign In or Register to comment.