Samsung celebrity tweets out support for Galaxy S4 from his iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Spanish tennis player David Ferrer sent a tweet out to his more than 350,000 followers noting his pleasure with using Samsung's new Galaxy S4, but accidentally sent the message from his iPhone.

Samsung ad sent from iPhone

Samsung is a sponsor of the Mutua Madrid Open tennis tournament that begins this weekend. Ferrer intended to send out a tweet stating he was very happy with his #GalaxyS4 and that he was "configuring S Health on my new #GalaxyS4 to help with training @SamsungMobile."

He neglected to notice that the advertisement was being labeled as "via Twitter from iPhone" because he actually uses an iPhone.

Before scrambling to take it down, the message was noted by Jaime Novoa and picked up by the Spanish edition of the Huffington Post.

After reposting the message without the telltale iPhone reference, his tweet was heckled by couple followers, one who wrote "Pues bien que lo env?as desde un iPhone @SamsungMobile" ("I send from an iPhone"). Another made reference to his "iPhoneGalaxy4."

This all happened before

The Huffington Post report noted a similarity with Blackberry's new spokesperson Alicia Keys, who after getting on stage with the company's chief executive Thorsten Heins to recount a story of how she had figuratively broken up with another phone for her new "exclusive" relationship with Blackberry, returned to posting tweets from her iPhone.

A similar effort by the Chinese government owned CCT to spread anti-Apple outrage via social media was blunted when many of the celebrities posted their ghostwritten responses with conspicuous credit given to Apple's iPhone and iPad as the device used to send the messages.

Post around 820

One of the celebrities involved, Peter Ho, even accidentally included a reference to the time of day the group was instructed to post their phony concerns. Once discovered, Ho scrambled to delete the posts and made up stories about his phone being stolen and his account being hacked.

Lots of money, ineffectively spent

Samsung has spend big money on advertising, hoping to position its Galaxy devices as a premium brand. Last year, the company outspent Apple with a greater than $400 million ad budget.

Last fall, however, an internal study of Samsung's big new push in advertising indicated that half of the Super Bowl audience watching the company's expensive ads for its Galaxy Tab thought they were seeing an iPad ad. The report was presented by Apple as evidence against Samsung's copying of its design and marketing.

"Only 11 percent of customers are aware of and can link the Galaxy Tab back to Samsung, while 65% of consumers are aware and can link the iPad back to Apple," the report stated.

The company's internal study noted that primary reason consumers were reporting for why they weren't considering the Galaxy Tab was "lack of awareness of the product," and noted that "TV advertising has had minimal impact primarily because of misattribution."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 100
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member
    LOL
  • Reply 2 of 100
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    This happens so often it almost seems like a meme.
  • Reply 3 of 100
    hunabkuhunabku Posts: 55member
    How come we don't see any -> The iPhone is amazing and I'm using this cool iPhone app to type this message!

[I]Sent from my Galaxy S4.[/I]
  • Reply 4 of 100

Embarrassing! :)

• Reply 5 of 100
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member

I expect the air waves will soon be bombarded with ads suggesting the iPhone is dated and only for total squares like my grandmother.

• Reply 6 of 100
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

lol

You'd think by now that the advertising agencies in charge of paying celebrities to do this, would know to emphasize that it should be done from the desired phone!

Common technical knowledge fail.

• Reply 7 of 100
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Professional tennis player.
    Amateur spammer.
  • Reply 8 of 100
    xgmanxgman Posts: 159member
    and this is newsworthy because . . . . ???
  • Reply 9 of 100
    pembrokepembroke Posts: 230member

Well, as a long-time iPhone owner, looking at a friend's Samsung 4 last week (which he retrieved effortlessly from his pocket) reviewing some photographs, I found myself feeling quite envious of the screen size and quality of the pictures was jaw-dropping.

Just sayin'!!

• Reply 10 of 100
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    "...accidentally sent the message from his iPhone."

It was no accident. :D

Didn't Oprah also Tweet on her iPad that she "loved her Galaxy Tab"? LOL
  • Reply 11 of 100
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member

No free Galaxy S4 for you.

• Reply 12 of 100
    grbladegrblade Posts: 93member
    Ah, our culture of being lied to. Samsung tries to invent the hype that they make the best product, but even the people they pay think otherwise. It's nice when the truth shines out a bit.
  • Reply 13 of 100

Either Samdung paid him money for the tweet or he is that yahoo message board type worm who keeps on bashing iphone! 

• Reply 14 of 100
    eldernormeldernorm Posts: 232member
    This article did not mention that samsung is in court after being found out to have paid many bloggers to post negative comments about its competition.

Hey if you cannot build a better product, just lie about it and pay thousands to lie about it too. And since samsung has NO REAL Customer Support to worry about paying, once people buy samdung, then they are stuck with it.

Just saying.
  • Reply 15 of 100
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

Just payin'!!

Fixed.

• Reply 16 of 100
    kdarling wrote: »
    lol

You'd think by now that the advertising agencies in charge of paying celebrities to do this, would know to emphasize that it should be done from the desired phone!

Common technical knowledge fail.

Celebrities are pretty busy... and even with their assistant doing most of the menial tasks... changing phones can be a royal pain in the ass (especially for celebrities with sensitive data on their phones)

I'm guessing a celebrity gets $15,000 for just tweeting about a new product... but they aren't required to actually USE the product.

Oh they may have a Galaxy S4 in their possession (or their assistant) ... but the likelihood of the Galaxy S4 actually replacing their current phone may be slim.

So the new question is: if the Galaxy S4 isn't enough to make a celebrity change phones... why should you? :D
  • Reply 17 of 100
    "...accidentally sent the message from his iPhone."

It was no accident. :D

Didn't Oprah also Tweet on her iPad that she "loved her Galaxy Tab"? LOL

And don't forget Blackberry's marketing spokesman Alicia Keys tweeting from her iPhone.
  • Reply 18 of 100
    65c81665c816 Posts: 136member
    Hey Samsung, if you pay me, I'll be happy to post good news about Samsung and bad news about Apple. Come on, what do you say? I will even do it from my Nexus 4.

#postaround820

• Reply 19 of 100
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

I think what's going on is Samsung is doing a lot of sponsoring of various events, sports, music, etc. and when they do that, they pay these celebrities to support Samsung products, but in reality, many of them use an Apple product.  It's hilarious, but some people fall for it.

• Reply 20 of 100
    Celebrities are pretty busy... and even with their assistant doing most of the menial tasks... changing phones can be a royal pain in the ass (especially for celebrities with sensitive data on their phones)

I'm guessing a celebrity gets $15,000 for just tweeting about a new product... but they aren't required to actually USE the product.

Oh they may have a Galaxy S4 in their possession (or their assistant) ... but the likelihood of the Galaxy S4 actually replacing their current phone may be slim.

So the new question is: if the Galaxy S4 isn't enough to make a celebrity change phones... why should you? :D

I simply can't imagine this in anything other area of branding. Imagine if Michael Jordan would wear Reebok shoes and Puma caps in public because he preferred them over Nike's attire and footwear.

If it were my company and I paid for celebrity marketing I would make them sign a contract that explicitly had them use my products explicitly, especially when it came to such things as tweeting where the device and app are clearly registered. For all I know they have such contracts in place.

Your last sentence drives home the problem with this. In a single "oh shit" moment all the money these companies paid to celebrities to get their fans to buy their brand can be destroyed with the spoils going to the brand the celebrities prefer without the preferred brand having to pay a penny for the privilege.