Problem with single-user mode on Cube

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am trying to boot up in single-user mode on a Cube. I hold down Command-S and get to the prompt. However, the computer does not respond to anything I type. Strangely, if I disconnect and reconnect the keyboard, messages appear which seem to indicate that a HP printer is being plugged in. Any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    [quote]Originally posted by qazII:

<strong>I am trying to boot up in single-user mode on a Cube. I hold down Command-S and get to the prompt. However, the computer does not respond to anything I type. Strangely, if I disconnect and reconnect the keyboard, messages appear which seem to indicate that a HP printer is being plugged in. Any ideas?</strong><hr></blockquote>

can you try with another keyboard?

Have you disconnected all your other USB devices?

What are you trying to achieve by starting in single user mode?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    I just tried with my Cube here, and it dropped straight into SU mode with no problems: even let me clear out some yukky huge invisible Norton files I no longer need that were lurking in there.

qazil, I think the real hint there is the bit about an HP printer. Sounds like something on the USB device driver side has got confused. During the initial boot, was there a message about a keyboard being recognised?