Samsung celebrity tweets out support for Galaxy S4 from his iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 100
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

The difference between Samsung and Apple users:

Samsung pays people to lie about their products, unsuccessfully.

Apple users pay Apple for products and extoll their virtues for free.

• Reply 22 of 100
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    [quote] "TV advertising has had minimal impact primarily because of misattribution."[/quote]

I had to do a double take on the last word which I read as "masturbation" which in some ways could be more accurate.
  • Reply 23 of 100
    "...accidentally sent the message from his iPhone."

It was no accident. :D

Didn't Oprah also Tweet on her iPad that she "loved her Galaxy Tab"? LOL
    No I believe she said she loved her Microsoft Surface.
  • Reply 24 of 100
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

Quote:

Originally Posted by xgman View Post

and this is newsworthy because . . . . ???

...because it's funny. 

• Reply 25 of 100
    websnapwebsnap Posts: 224member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

(which he retrieved effortlessly from his pocket)

Well, that's good to know... it takes me at least 45 minutes to get my iPhone from out of my pocket. And they say the GS4 is a mere evolution. Clearly they have Pocket Universe technology™!

• Reply 26 of 100
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member

I understand that marketing is all about presenting an image to the public.  Nonetheless, when companies (like Samsung) are essentially paying people to literally lie about what they do or use, it's just plain wrong.  I'm not referring to "actors" portraying other people.  This is about a non-fictional person representing himself lying to people.  Wrong.

• Reply 27 of 100

Quote:

Well, as a long-time iPhone owner, looking at a friend's Samsung 4 last week (which he retrieved effortlessly from his pocket) reviewing some photographs, I found myself feeling quite envious of the screen size and quality of the pictures was jaw-dropping.

Just sayin'!!

Don't lie...you have no friend with an S4. In fact, I doubt you have a friend...?

Just Sayin!

• Reply 28 of 100
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I simply can't imagine this in anything other area of branding. Imagine if Michael Jordan would wear Reebok shoes and Puma caps in public because he preferred them over Nike's attire and footwear.

If it were my company and I paid for celebrity marketing I would make them sign a contract that explicitly had them use my products explicitly, especially when it came to such things as tweeting where the device and app are clearly registered. For all I know they have such contracts in place.

Your last sentence drives home the problem with this. In a single "oh shit" moment all the money these companies paid to celebrities to get their fans to buy their brand can be destroyed with the spoils going to the brand the celebrities prefer without the preferred brand having to pay a penny for the privilege.

Good points.

I wonder how deep it goes. Do they just ask celebrities... "hey can you tweet about this?"

Or do companies have a formal sit-down and say "we're gonna give you a lot of money... but you cannot use your iPhone anymore..."

That's a hard sell. I wonder how many celebrities would agree to it. Apparently it's not very formal... considering how many examples there are of celebrities using the wrong device when they're supposed to be promoting another.

Also... I'm guessing the high-dollar celebrity endorsements (Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods) have specific contract requirements. Tiger Woods had to drive to every golf tournament in a Buick... even though he probably owns a garage full of exotics. I think that deal was worth $10 million... just to drive a car a few miles every weekend.

However... I don't think Samsung is paying quite that much... and clearly they aren't enforcing it! :)
  • Reply 29 of 100

Quote:

Well, as a long-time iPhone owner, looking at a friend's Samsung 4 last week (which he retrieved effortlessly from his pocket) reviewing some photographs, I found myself feeling quite envious of the screen size and quality of the pictures was jaw-dropping.

Just sayin'!!

I have to agree with you, I was looking to replace my work mobile, which I was using Bold 9800 and since I already had a iPhone for home, I  was looking at another brand. I looked seriously at the Samsung S4 and read the CNET review, pretty powerful stuff, but my concern was  it was too geared to the consumer and not business user. In the end I bought Blackberry Z10 and very happy with phone for business use. I would never buy Windows Phone against my DNA.

• Reply 30 of 100
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Why I am not surprised!

• Reply 31 of 100
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

This is shocking.

Celebrities get paid to endorse products they don't actually use?

Shocking!

• Reply 32 of 100
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

lol

You'd think by now that the advertising agencies in charge of paying celebrities to do this, would know to emphasize that it should be done from the desired phone!

Common technical knowledge fail.

Samsung just screwed this up, not Ferrer. How do they expect a tennis star to know anything about astroturfing? In Spain they play tennis on clay.

• Reply 33 of 100
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member

The great thing about Apple is cream rises to the top

Unfortunately with Samturd so does excrement!

• Reply 34 of 100

Quote:

A famous athlete had his iPhone stolen and his Twitter account was hacked!

• Reply 35 of 100

Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Quote:

...because it's funny. 

.... and sad at the same time.

Priceless.

• Reply 36 of 100
    marskmarsk Posts: 30member
    Samsung S4 rocks!!! <3 $$

sent from my iPhone
  • Reply 37 of 100
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by marsk View Post

$?m$u?? $4 ?o??$!!!

¢ ?om m¥ i?ho?€ 

• Reply 38 of 100

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frood View Post

This is shocking.

Celebrities get paid to endorse products they don't actually use?

Shocking!

I doubt anyone thinks its shocking. It's just good fun at Samdung's expense.

• Reply 39 of 100
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    sflocal wrote: »
    I understand that marketing is all about presenting an image to the public.  Nonetheless, when companies (like Samsung) are essentially paying people to literally lie about what they do or use, it's just plain wrong.  I'm not referring to "actors" portraying other people.  This is about a non-fictional person representing himself lying to people.  Wrong.

It seems more wrong in cases like this, because tweets are supposed to be real pieces of communication. Celebrities lying on Twitter seems like pollution. But celebrities lying about what products they use in advertising is at least as old as I am, which is pretty old.

Twitter isn't supposed to be advertising. Another instance of Samsung having neither soul nor ethics. Or class.
  • Reply 40 of 100
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    flaneur wrote: »
    Twitter isn't supposed to be advertising.

Twitter is a highly versatile and fast medium which in no small part includes marketing.

edit: major typo.