Samsung celebrity tweets out support for Galaxy S4 from his iPhone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 100
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member

Edit: Stupid user not paying careful attention to new the new forum.

• Reply 42 of 100
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member

Quote:

Originally Posted by websnap View Post

Well, that's good to know... it takes me at least 45 minutes to get my iPhone from out of my pocket. And they say the GS4 is a mere evolution. Clearly they have Pocket Universe technology™!

Yeah, but they stole that idea from Doctor Who.

• Reply 43 of 100
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I simply can't imagine this in anything other area of branding. Imagine if Michael Jordan would wear Reebok shoes and Puma caps in public because he preferred them over Nike's attire and footwear.

If it were my company and I paid for celebrity marketing I would make them sign a contract that explicitly had them use my products explicitly, especially when it came to such things as tweeting where the device and app are clearly registered. For all I know they have such contracts in place.

Your last sentence drives home the problem with this. In a single "oh shit" moment all the money these companies paid to celebrities to get their fans to buy their brand can be destroyed with the spoils going to the brand the celebrities prefer without the preferred brand having to pay a penny for the privilege.

I remember tennis players being outed for having disguised rackets in the past. I understand why people can't say no to promoting another brand than what they use themselves for vast sums of money, but it doesn't sit right with me. Maybe I am old fashioned but I feel that to promote the 'competition' somehow undermines your integrity. The gear is so much a part of an athlete's 'image'. But I also realize how naive that is and that these days it makes no difference whether someone uses Nike or Adidas, it's just another corporate brand. But I am sure any celeb selling a particular brand needs to sign some sort of agreement to the effect that they can not promote another brand. Using an iPhone is probably not considered promotion, but tweeting with a tag line definitely is, I'd say.

• Reply 44 of 100
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    kdarling wrote: »
    lol

You'd think by now that the advertising agencies in charge of paying celebrities to do this, would know to emphasize that it should be done from the desired phone!

Common technical knowledge fail.

You do realize that is 100% Samsung's responsibility? These advertising companies do not simply work in a vacume.
  • Reply 45 of 100
    stniukstniuk Posts: 90member
    I love my Samsung.

Posted using my 14inch dick.
  • Reply 46 of 100
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Love this faux love affair PAID endorsers by Samsung have of Samsung's products. I'm not bilingual, but how do you laugh in Spanish???
    /
    /
  • Reply 47 of 100

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I understand that marketing is all about presenting an image to the public.  Nonetheless, when companies (like Samsung) are essentially paying people to literally lie about what they do or use, it's just plain wrong.  I'm not referring to "actors" portraying other people.  This is about a non-fictional person representing himself lying to people.  Wrong.

Oh man, well, welcome to the world - this is old hat, ooollllllddddd haaatttt - prostitution, the oldest profession...

• Reply 48 of 100

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Love this faux love affair PAID endorsers by Samsung have of Samsung's products. I'm not bilingual, but how do you laugh in Spanish???

/

/

¡Jajajajajajaja!

• Reply 49 of 100
    sau124sau124 Posts: 18member
    Actually, I love it how Samsung spends millions of dollars more to give Apple free advertising. A big thanks to Samsung from all of us Apple fanboys
  • Reply 50 of 100

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

It seems more wrong in cases like this, because tweets are supposed to be real pieces of communication. Celebrities lying on Twitter seems like pollution. But celebrities lying about what products they use in advertising is at least as old as I am, which is pretty old.

Twitter isn't supposed to be advertising. Another instance of Samsung having neither soul nor ethics. Or class.

But you are not that naive. There is a whole sector within the marketing / advertising industry dedicated to social media, very much including twitter. I wonder if it will be the end of twitter eventually. And Facebook. Advertising sneaking in to every part of life is depressing and off-putting. As a producer of any type of product you must sell your said product, of course. You must tell people what you have and why they should buy it. We all do that virtually all day every day, whether its a physical product or an idea. That is really all advertising is. But when it is intrusive (TV commercials), or dishonest, as in this case, it is as you say, pollution.

• Reply 51 of 100
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    xgman wrote: »
    and this is newsworthy because . . . . ???

You have to admit that people actually paid to use Samsung phones still prefer iPhones. It is news because it is another set of points showing massive astro-turfing on twitter, FB and news groups done by Samsung.
  • Reply 52 of 100
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

You have to admit that people actually paid to use Samsung phones still prefer iPhones. It is news because it is another set of points showing massive astro-turfing on twitter, FB and news groups done by Samsung.

You can't copy quality. 

The truth always comes out in the wash. 

• Reply 53 of 100

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonstopdesign View Post

Oh man, well, welcome to the world - this is old hat, ooollllllddddd haaatttt - prostitution, the oldest profession...

The difference is that the client usually actively seeks 'the merchandise' out. If you go into a Best Buy you may not mind watching an ad for a TV on a Monitor. You are potentially there to buy. But if you are follower of an actor (say what you will about the celebrity trade), you don't expect the celebrity to be a sales person in disguise.

• Reply 54 of 100
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    I am not sure why people even follow these people, anyone who believes that most of these Celb actually spend a sec making comment to their so called fans are living in another world. What most likely happen was some handler of the guy using an iphone does his tweet for him, wrote the statement not realizing (because they are stupid idiots working for a celb) the iphone reference would show up.

The Celb hire idiot who are willing to work for almost nothing just so that can say they work for a Celb and they screw up more things they they actually help with. I bet the idiot who did this got fired today too.
  • Reply 55 of 100
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

Another Samsung shill who has immediately admitted to it.

Samsung give their phones away to famous people yet the famous people still use the phone they bought from Apple.

• Reply 56 of 100
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunabku View Post

How come we don't see any -> The iPhone is amazing and I'm using this cool iPhone app to type this message!

Sent from my Galaxy S4.

On the one hand, the whole fiasco in the OP is hilarious and Samsung deserves the mockery.

On the other hand, at least one reason we don't see the reverse is that Samsung products don't come with a dorky "sent from my (whatever)" message*. Personally I prefer not to advertise for the companies I favor, and the first thing I did on my iPad was remove the automatic signature. 

* Or at least my Galaxy Nexus did not, but "pure" Samsung products may be different.

• Reply 57 of 100
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    arlor wrote: »
    On the one hand, the whole fiasco in the OP is hilarious and Samsung deserves the mockery.

On the other hand, at least one reason we don't see the reverse is that Samsung products don't come with a dorky "sent from my (whatever)" message*. Personally I prefer not to advertise for the companies I favor, and the first thing I did on my iPad was remove the automatic signature. 

* Or at least my Galaxy Nexus did not, but "pure" Samsung products may be different.

You're talking about two different things. Twitter records the device and Twitter client that the message was sent from. That is the not the same thing as the default signature found in the email of several device vendors. Additionally, the via for Twitter's official iPhone client as well as their web client no longer contain the via tag.
  • Reply 58 of 100
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

You do realize that is 100% Samsung's responsibility? These advertising companies do not simply work in a vacume.

Oh, no doubt someone at Samsung ordered an agency to, "Find some celebrities to endorse the phone."  At that point, it's the ad agency's job to follow through and make sure the endorsement doesn't turn into an embarrassment.

--

The whole celebrity ad thing is weird anyway.  For example, watching Zooey Deschanel dancing around the house when it rains did not make me want to buy an iPhone. 

On the other hand, listening to Martin Scorsese, Samuel Jackson, and John Malkovich talk to Siri, did make me wish I that was temporarily deaf.

• Reply 59 of 100
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member

Quote:

Originally Posted by xgman View Post

and this is newsworthy because . . . . ???

1.  Because it shows that the Samsung PR people are dumb fucks. 

2.  Because its further evidence that much of the crap put out by the analysts, bloggers, and celebrities of the world is bought and paid for. 

3.  Because it's freaking hilarious. 

• Reply 60 of 100
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    pembroke wrote: »
    Well, as a long-time iPhone owner, looking at a friend's Samsung 4 last week (which he retrieved effortlessly from his pocket) reviewing some photographs, I found myself feeling quite envious of the screen size and quality of the pictures was jaw-dropping.

Just sayin'!!

Engineering is about balance. Currently, Apple doesn't think the hit to color accuracy and battery life is worth enlarging the screen. That doesn't mean it will not happen. There have been people qualified to say that Apple likely will eventually bring a 4.87 inch screen to market. The problem with the Galaxy in terms of sticking it in your pocket has more to do with flexing of the phone when one sits down or kneels. The fabric as it stretches against ones knees asserts pressure on the phone. Apple's old plastic iBooks suffered a similar problem where the logic board flexed when the iBook was used in ones lap thereby casing the logic chip to separate from the board. Apples switch to better materials solved the problem.

The Galaxy 4 is also thicker (necessary for the bigger battery), more complicated to use, and made of cheaper materials. If I were going to go Android, which I wouldn't, I'd try the HTC One. At least the materials are first rate.