iPhone 5 art installations grace Berlin Apple Store ahead of grand opening

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The countdown is on for the grand opening of Apple's first retail store in Berlin, and the iPhone maker is touting its best selling product ahead of the store's launch.

iphone 4s
via ApfelPage.de

As Apple's Kurf?rstendamm store prepares for its May 3 grand opening, the scaffolding and obstructions have given way to a clear look at the space, according to ApfelPage.de. The location now has only two low-key Apple logos marking its facade, but several oversized iPhone 5 displays let passersby know what they can expect to find inside.

ja

Apple gave word on the store's grand opening date on its web site last week. The Berlin Apple Store, the company's 11th in the country, will open particularly late on Saturday, and it will be open from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Saturday thereafter. It will be closed on Sundays.

ya

The site for the new store used to be a movie theater in Berlin's Ku'damm 26 district. Ku'damm is the city's most expensive shopping district, located in West Berlin. The new store will be located across from the Hard Rock Cafe.

Apple's retail locations have become an integral aspect of the company's business, giving millions of potential customers the chance to try out Apple devices before buying. In the first quarter of this year, Apple had an average of 396 open retail stores, altogether hosting a record 121 million visitors in the quarter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

That's a little odd. It's certainly a different presentation than they've done before.

Though if those are 3D models and not just flat paper cutouts, I want one.

• Reply 2 of 20
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Well they had to get a glass cube in there somehow.

• Reply 3 of 20
    that's not an oversized iphone 5, it's the new iphone 6.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Gorgeous new Apple Store!
  • Reply 5 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Well they had to get a glass cube in there somehow.

:)

• Reply 6 of 20
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    There's a few other Apple stores which look similar to this. I like that each Apple stores takes local architecture on when they restore.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's a little odd. It's certainly a different presentation than they've done before.

Signage restriction on a historical building? It is nice. me thinks.

• Reply 8 of 20
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

It's the same ones they have in other store's windows. My guess is that Apple wasn't allowed to break the facade for traditional windows so these display cubes were the compromise

And for the record they are about 1 inch think cardboard pieces
  • Reply 9 of 20

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Signage restriction on a historical building? It is nice. me thinks.

Sorry, I meant the displays out on the street like that. Should have quoted that image.

• Reply 10 of 20
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

Gotta have something out for the Sunday strollers and window shoppers in Germany. It looks like the window display space is limited otherwise.

I seem to remember seeing big iPhone mockups with animated screens in the window at our local Apple store. Or I could be conflating memories. If they aren't doing this, they should.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member

"The site for the new store used to be a movie theater"

I remember when Star Wars was re-released theatrically in 1997 in Germany as Episode IV I was in Berlin a few days and I saw the film in that cinema.

"The new store will be located across from the Hard Rock Cafe"

So american. You should also mention Starbucks and McDonalds...

"Well they had to get a glass cube in there somehow."

The glass cubes have been part of the Kurfürstendamm for decades and dozens can be found alongside the boulevard.

• Reply 12 of 20
    Very classy! This is why Apple is what it is! Nice, clean and simple and perfectly blends well in the existing structure and look! They are great in building great products! Their retail stores are amazing and they have captured other retail segments and I really can't wait to check out their new campus once it is done!

Stuff like this just doesn't happen that easily! One has to eat, drink, breath this and I am sure everyone at Apple are like this. So what if Steve is gone - But planted the seeds though every veins at Apple.

Nice Work Apple!
  • Reply 13 of 20
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by smalM View Post

"Well they had to get a glass cube in there somehow."

The glass cubes have been part of the Kurfürstendamm for decades and dozens can be found alongside the boulevard.

Good to know. I have never been there. I found this photo on the Internet. Looks like a nice way to advertise without jacking up the building facade.

• Reply 14 of 20
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member
    I expect Samsung to open a sales cart in the alley with exciting innovations like a larger plastic cube and a free doner kebab
  • Reply 15 of 20
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I seem to remember seeing big iPhone mockups with animated screens in the window at our local Apple store. Or I could be conflating memories. If they aren't doing this, they should.

That was with the iPhone 3G, the base had a Mac Mini inside and the portrait mounted screen played a Quicktime loop.

• Reply 16 of 20
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    It's pretty clever. There's not much visibility into the building and very limited signage even.
  • Reply 17 of 20

Apple actually removed the glazing from the façade ... as well as one of the showcases (the one that used to stand directly in front of the entrance).

This is what Kurfürstendamm 26 looked like, BA (before Apple).

And a note to the editor: Kurfürstendamm 26 is not a district, it's simply the street address (street numbers go after the street name). The "district" was formerly known as the Zoo Quarter (Zooviertel), and is now referred to as City West (encompassing Ku'damm, Breitscheidplatz and Tauentzienstraße).

• Reply 18 of 20
    adamastoradamastor Posts: 2member
    Probably the ugliest place in Europe to open a new Apple flagstore. But then again, germans are possibly the only people that can still afford to buy Apple's products these days.
  • Reply 19 of 20

Originally Posted by adamastor View Post

Probably the ugliest place in Europe to open a new Apple flagstore. But then again, germans are possibly the only people that can still afford to buy Apple's products these days.

Great first post¡

Note that means it's not a great first post.

• Reply 20 of 20
    adamastoradamastor Posts: 2member
    Thanks!