dwillydwilly Posts: 60member
    the world problems are Apples fault
  • Reply 22 of 152
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

NYT: Yep.

"… and?"

NYT: Oh, sorry, I couldn't hear you. I was busy flipping through these stacks of money we recently received.

Citation?

Nah, don't bother. Don't need one to know it's false.

• Reply 23 of 152
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1) Isn't the iPhone the only device that links up with a free account that includes Find My iPhone?

2) Settings really need an option for locking it down so one can't easily put it in Airplane Mode or turn off Find My iPhone if your device is currently unlocked when a snatcher gets ahold of it.

3) As I've stated before, I'd like the iPhone to require a passcode to turn off. If you use the Sleep and Home buttons to kill power it will do a reboot instead. This isn't a real deterant any premeditated theft could easily put the device in a bag/container that blocks GPS signals, but it may make the opportunistic thief think twice and/or make it easier to track once stolen.
  • Reply 24 of 152

I think it's a bit more complicated than people want it to be. Even the article printed here stated (in regard to the IMEI tracking) "Privacy advocates, though, say that consumers should be able to reset their devices as they wish if they want to avoid tracking."  This is just a small tip of the proverbial iceberg. The analysis the consumer has to make includes these privacy issues, plus the possibility of allowing a hacker (or other entity) to "brick" their device, and an assortment of other issues that even I haven't fully imagined. 

That the NY Times is bringing the problem of phone theft to the forefront, though, is a good thing, because it will stimulate discussion and consideration of these issues and concerns. Perhaps there is a solution to theft, or perhaps there are ways the consumer can mitigate their losses in the event of the inevitable theft.  Raising awareness is a first step. 

• Reply 25 of 152
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeJay2012 View Post

"Apple has dropped the ball on this"

What rubbish. It's called personal responsibility. I suppose that ALL manufacturers need to step up and prevent thefts... watches, jewellery, TVs, cars.. /s  Carriers and telcos could prevent activation of stolen phones by registering all IMEI numbers and blocking ones reported stolen or hacked numbers. But they don't - you figure out why.

As far as Apple dropping the ball, stop trolling and go back to your Samsung shift.

Although I disagree with the notion of Apple dropping the ball, it is impossible to deny that all phone makers can do more. There are indeed technological solutions, but the incentive to implement them is not strong. That is, or should be the main point of the article.

• Reply 26 of 152

I don't think Apple is doing enough to prevent homicide either.

• Reply 27 of 152
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

But has Apple dropped the ball harder than Google, Samsung or Nokia? 

I could care less about the others, since that is a low bar to set.

• Reply 28 of 152
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGNR8 View Post

Most thefts = Lack Personal Responsibility

Flame On

The stupidity is strong in this one...

• Reply 29 of 152
    buzzzbuzzz Posts: 84member
    Nice to know with almost 600 people dead or missing in that garment factory building collapse in Bangadash that the NYTimes is working so hard to make the world a safer place for iPhones. I would have gladly overlooked their harassment of Apple had they worked just as hard to expose the hardships and dangerous working conditions suffered by garment works in Bamgladash and elsewhere. But nope, harassing Apple gets more attention and increases their readership more. Sorry rant over...
  • Reply 30 of 152
    Consider all of this when google releases $1500 google glass and thieves start ripping these devices off of people's faces. Just saying.
  • Reply 31 of 152

Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

So what could they be doing better?

I am not a techie, so I have no clue. But there has to be something better than "all hope is lost if the thieves erase the IMEI."

For example, is GPS tracking an option (assuming that the loss is reported to the police).

• Reply 32 of 152
    gbr2012gbr2012 Posts: 1member

In comparison, what are other mobile device manufacturers doing to prevent this that Apple is not?

• Reply 33 of 152
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why? It couldn't be more correct.

Another one...

Lack of responsibility? So I can't check an SMS because some bastard might be watching? Hey, don't be a retard. The only one that is guilty is ALWAYS the guy that choses to become trash and steals something.

• Reply 34 of 152
    Why is everyone complaining? Apple is providing earning opportunities to a critically underemployed sector, thieves. It's the same as when Microsoft forced Windows 3/95/98/ME on us all along with those junky clunky computers in the distant past. They helped bootstrap geeks into success and kept them from becoming homeless or worse. But what could be worse than staying home with mom?

I was always amazed how there were more techs than sales people in a PC store. And usually they were fat, stinky and obnoxious.
  • Reply 35 of 152
    I had an expensive iPod stolen a few years - back then there was truly nothing I could do about it. I reported it stolen to the police and they said there just wasn't enough info for there to be a reasonable chance of recovering it. I would loved to had "Find My Phone" back then - I could have given GPS coordinates of the device, photos of the thief using it, and everything else Find My Phone does - enough info for police to act on.

Apple already does so much to prevent iPhone theft! Maybe they can do some things incrementally better, but I don't know how they could make big improvements without creating usability or privacy issues.
  • Reply 36 of 152
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Nah, don't bother. Don't need one to know it's false.

Ah, that Samsung pays people off to keep quiet or that Samsung has paid the NYT?

Because I'm 100% certain you can't prove either of those false, and we know the former is true.

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Lack of responsibility? So I can't check an SMS because some bastard might be watching?

Interesting how you jump to claiming it's the VICTIM'S fault, particularly when I said absolutely nothing of the sort.

Perhaps take your own advice.

• Reply 37 of 152
    ryguybcryguybc Posts: 2member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Apple has dropped the ball on this. That is simply a fact. 

Huh?  Did you miss this in the article?

"Currently, a number of antitheft technologies exist, allowing mobile device owners to track stolen smartphones and tablets. Early last year, AT&T rolled out a new system that blocked stolen iPhones from network access. Also, Apple's Find My Phone feature uses iCloud to track stolen iOS devices, which has resulted in some notable busts."

Tell me which smartphone does more?

Sure the article mentions ISM hacks but let's be honest, the average smartphone thief is looking to make a quick buck to support their drug habit so it's highly unlikely they would know how, or care to spend the time to perform such hacks.  Blocking stolen phones from connecting to the networks (as has been universally done in Canada), combined with people not being complete effing idiots and realizing that if the dude on the corner is selling them an iPhone for a "too good to be true" price because IT IS, will likely cease thefts altogether.

• Reply 38 of 152
    ecsecs Posts: 307member

I agree with the article. One of the things that disappointed me when I got my iPhone was that it doesn't have a ROM-encoded serial number (I mean non-writable non-erasable ROM, unlike NVRAM which can be rewritten). A solution like that would turn iPhones very hard to steal... criminals would need to disassemble the unit, and replace the ROM chip. Hard to do. This would certainly stop teenagers-friends thefts.

If it had that ROM serial number, you simply call Apple "hey, my iPhone was stolen", then Apple blacklists your serial number, and no phone operator would allow such unit anymore. Case closed. Just make the ROM chip very hard to replace (so that you easily break the iPhone if you want to remove it), and nobody will care to steal iPhones anymore.

• Reply 39 of 152
    How ungrateful.

One week an find my iPhone helps capture a Boston Terrorist, the next week the journos have forgotten!
  • Reply 40 of 152

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeJay2012 View Post

...... stop trolling and go back to your Samsung shift.

New to these parts, aren't you?image

Thanks for the laugh.