Apple releases iOS 6.1.4 for iPhone 5 with updated audio profile for speakerphone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday issued a new software update for iPhone 5 owners, adding an updated audio profile for speakerphone. The minor update is now available for download and install.

iOS

The new iOS version can be downloaded through the Software Update section found in the native Settings application. It is available for both the GSM and CDMA versions of the iPhone 5.

iOS 6.1.4 is identified as Build 10B350, and it is an 11.5-megabyte download. No betas were provided to developers prior to the software's release.

The last update to iOS, software version 6.1.3, was released in March. It fixed a bug that allowed for the phone's lockscreen security feature to be bypassed.

No other major updates for iOS are expected to be released, as Apple is believed to be hard at work on the next major update to its mobile operating system. iOS 7 is expected to be unveiled at this year's Worldwide Developers Conference, scheduled for June 10 through 14. Presumably developers will also be provided with a pre-release beta of the software at the same time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    Can you hear me now?
  • Reply 2 of 30
    stephanjobsstephanjobs Posts: 284member
    Great, so apple is a audio profiler now.

I guess sound better get to the airport 2 hours earlier now.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    aldolinialdolini Posts: 5member
    So how about iPhone 4S ?!!! Can we use this update too ?!!!!!
  • Reply 4 of 30
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 226member

Strange release.. ( Did the sound engineer run out of things to do in his works hours? ;))

I know the rest of them are probably pretty busy right now with whatever the "5S" has and the software teams are clearly pretty busy too, but was the speaker profile causing many complaints?

• Reply 5 of 30
    macdevilmacdevil Posts: 52member
    I bet Safari is snappier too :-D
  • Reply 6 of 30
    stephanjobsstephanjobs Posts: 284member
    I have a girl that I talk to a lot of the time who uses an iphone 5 and sometimes sounds like somehow she is underwater.

I discovered what was going on is that she loved to talk on the phone while lying down and whenever she lied down on her back ( jokes to follow in sure)… With her phone to her ear and not using a headset or speakerphone… She would have this underwater sound to her.

I don't know if that had something to do with it but there is something to be said about that, Because I tried it and she said she had trouble hearing me when I also lied down.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    darrandarran Posts: 5member
    Safari is a lot Snappier now. Like 0.5 of a second ;)
  • Reply 8 of 30
    icemanisicemanis Posts: 3member
    My "end" button doesn't work to end the call, unless i use my power button. This update didn't fix it.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    elliots11elliots11 Posts: 290member

You know what else is big news?  

I just installed ad block Safari extension so when I visit AI I don't have to look at the nerd in the blue briefs ad that keeps coming up on the left hand side of the main page.  It's disturbing to see a bright blue dude's package when I'm on here.  That's literally the only reason I installed it.  

I know AI probably doesn't get much of a say in what ads run on here, but it was a much better site to visit when it was the overly happy busty girl selling... something (I don't know what).

• Reply 10 of 30
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by icemanis View Post

My "end" button doesn't work to end the call, unless i use my power button. This update didn't fix it.

Which phone do you have? This has never been a problem for my iPhone 5.

• Reply 11 of 30
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdowell View Post

Strange release.. ( Did the sound engineer run out of things to do in his works hours? ;))

Agreed. I don't recall Apple ever doing something quite like this. I suspect there will be further patching to iOS 6 in the future, at least from a bug or security aspect, that could feasibly include this audio enhancement. Perhaps they they forgot to mention the additional Jail breaking prevention updates included in this version.

• Reply 12 of 30
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Agreed. I don't recall Apple ever doing something quite like this. I suspect there will be further patching to iOS 6 in the future, at least from a bug or security aspect, that could feasibly include this audio enhancement. Perhaps they they forgot to mention the additional Jail breaking prevention updates included in this version.

I don't think so. I follow jailbreaking closely and from what I understand they are saving the next jailbreak until iOS 7. If they release it now for 6.1.3 or 6.1.4 that would allow Apple plenty of time to close the hole for iOS 7. Most people who jailbreak knew in advance to stay with 6.1.2 especially since the later release added nothing of value. 

• Reply 13 of 30
    _rick_v__rick_v_ Posts: 142member

Quote:

Originally Posted by icemanis View Post

Sounds like you need to do a "restore" on your iPhone. 

I've had an issue once (long time ago, on a 3GS) where it was acting flaky.  Took it to the Apple Store and they told me to do that first.  As a matter of fact, it's their version of "take two aspirin and call me in the morning".

Apple's instructions:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1414

• Reply 14 of 30
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    This may not be related, but in the last couple of months, I've been having this problem with my iPhone 5 where the sounds (which I assume comes out of the same speakers) will be very muted as if I turned the volume way down. SMS/iMessage sounds, notification sounds, lock/unlock sounds, all sound very muted. Checking my settings, volume is way up like it should be. And if I receive the call, the ring volume is fine too. The only way I've found to resolve this is a reboot. This fixes it for a while and then several days later, it'll go back to those low volume sounds.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    razormaidrazormaid Posts: 299member
    Careful guys!!! After doing the update on my iPhone 5, when I finish a call and hit END... the phone call keeps going. When I try to hit the button to close the phone, it returns me to the still running phone call page with the counter STILL running, so there's two problems

1.) your phone call does not hang up

and worse...

2.) Holy crap your phone call does not hang up so for god's sake don't comment about the phone call or the person ("God she's a bitch...") because THEY ARE STILL CONNECTED!!!!

Hopefully Apple will fix this before too many relationships get ruined.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Which phone do you have? This has never been a problem for my iPhone 5.

Never had that problem either. Neither has my wife or daughter, I asked.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by razormaid View Post

Careful guys!!! After doing the update on my iPhone 5, when I finish a call and hit END... the phone call keeps going. When I try to hit the button to close the phone, it returns me to the still running phone call page with the counter STILL running, so there's two problems

1.) your phone call does not hang up

and worse...

2.) Holy crap your phone call does not hang up so for god's sake don't comment about the phone call or the person ("God she's a bitch...") because THEY ARE STILL CONNECTED!!!!

Hopefully Apple will fix this before too many relationships get ruined.

So you know this is a bug and that this bug affects all iPhone 5s because...

There are five (5) iPhone 5 owners in my extended family and none of them are reporting this issue. Four have already updated.

• Reply 18 of 30
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    icemanis wrote: »
    This happened to me once on my 5. The only way I could hang up the call was to power it down.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    peterjh3peterjh3 Posts: 15member

Quote:

Originally Posted by elliots11 View Post

You know what else is big news?  

I just installed ad block Safari extension so when I visit AI I don't have to look at the nerd in the blue briefs ad that keeps coming up on the left hand side of the main page.  It's disturbing to see a bright blue dude's package when I'm on here.  That's literally the only reason I installed it.  

I know AI probably doesn't get much of a say in what ads run on here, but it was a much better site to visit when it was the overly happy busty girl selling... something (I don't know what).

AI isn't an adult site. Read it for the articles.

• Reply 20 of 30
    gregordgregord Posts: 36member
    Hoping this resolves an intermittent issue I have using Siri over speakerphone. It will occasionally pull up the siri icon on the bottom, but it does not respond to my voice over speakerphone. Perhaps this issue will be resolved with the new speakerphone profile.