Video shows Berlin Apple Store opening to throngs of customers

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The first Apple Store in Germany's capital of Berlin opened on Friday local time, as thousands of fans queued up to be one of the first get inside the company's latest flagship retail location.

AppleInsider reader Nico was there for the unveiling, and posted a couple videos to YouTube showing Apple Store employees filing into the new store before letting in the massive crowd awaiting entry outside.

Source: sushifornico's YouTube channel

Looking closely at the footage, it appears Apple was also recording the festivities and was set up near the store's entrance with what looks to be a "pro-am" Canon rig.

Besides the blaring music and ceremonial cheering from Apple staff, the Berlin outlet unsurprisingly looks to be much the same as the company's other stores worldwide. In keeping with Apple's strict aesthetic, display hardware is aligned on wooden tables in the center of the floor, with desktops flanking the walls, while accessories and peripherals are positioned to the rear.

As reported on Thursday, one of the location's highlights is a 360-degree Genius Bar, an interesting change from the single or double counter arrangement usually seen in Apple Stores.

The Berlin Apple Store is located in the city's most expensive shopping district of Kurfuerstendamm, drawing in locals and tourists alike. To handle the expectedly huge influx of customers, some 200 employees are on hand at the store, with 12 different languages spoken between them.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Numbers, AI, numbers. How many visited on Day 1?

• Reply 2 of 28
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
  • Reply 3 of 28
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,956member
    What are those black-bezeled displays at the end?
  • Reply 4 of 28
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
  • Reply 5 of 28
    macky the mackymacky the macky Posts: 4,801member

Woz wasn't there. He was attending a Samsung ribbon cutting at a pushcart in the alley behind the Apple store. He said the large screen on the new Sansung phone makes him look thinner.

• Reply 6 of 28
    xoonelxoonel Posts: 1member
    Looks like a generic HDTV hooked-up to an Apple TV
  • Reply 7 of 28
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Ok, new store. Great. In other news, AI reader Solipsism has something to say, and gets to the point quickly ¡
  • Reply 8 of 28
    65c81665c816 Posts: 136member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Woz wasn't there. He was attending a Samsung ribbon cutting at a pushcart in the alley behind the Apple store. He said the large screen on the new Sansung phone makes him look thinner.

Shouldn't your name be Macky the Tacky instead?

• Reply 9 of 28
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    At this point, I wish Apple Store openings & product launches didn't all look and feel the same.

The cheering, high fives, and excited atmosphere is starting to feel somewhat manufactured. It would be nice to see Apple employees just lined up and greeting people with hello's and handshakes. I don't know, anything different would be a nice sign of authenticity.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    jusephejusephe Posts: 108member
    What are those black-bezeled displays at the end?

An iMac and a TV with Apple TV
  • Reply 11 of 28
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    am8449 wrote: »
    At this point, I wish Apple Store openings & product launches didn't all look and feel the same.

The cheering, high fives, and excited atmosphere is starting to feel somewhat manufactured. It would be nice to see Apple employees just lined up and greeting people with hello's and handshakes. I don't know, anything different would be a nice sign of authenticity.

Uh, no. Microsoft Store employees lamely line dancing like they give a rats ass about Microsoft is manufactured.
    I have waited in line to get into an Apple Store launch, and the emotions are genuine and spontaneous. It was fun, not manufactured. There's no movie director off to the side telling us to look excited.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Can't wait to see the day there's an Apple store opening with iTVs inside.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    am8449 wrote: »
    The cheering, high fives, and excited atmosphere is starting to feel somewhat manufactured.

No matter what they did it'd be manufactured. It's a store with employees who are paid to work there and told what to do. I have always cringed at these videos. So much so I fact that I'd avoid an opening in my own City, despite how desperately I'm waiting for even a store in my country.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

Quote:

Originally Posted by am8449 View Post

It is somewhat manufactured, but its also brilliance on Apple's part.  Watching the video reminded me of buying my 3GS on launch day in NYC.  After waiting in line they open the doors and have an outrageous number of employees cheering and clapping.  It makes their customers feel like they are celebrities and part of a team rather than going in to buy a piece of consumer electronics.  Their culture is a big part of their customer loyalty, combined with their great products.

• Reply 15 of 28
    Went to Apple Store the other day. The Converse tennis shoes, scruffy breards, miss fitting jeans, and sweaty T-shirts are getting a little old. How about a start in a dress code. Maybe a 1960s Frat boy look. Black loafers and button down collars with freshly scrubed faces. Apple devices are sharp so why not the staff.
  • Reply 16 of 28

Sorry

• Reply 17 of 28
    dbtincdbtinc Posts: 134member
    yeah, yeah, yeah, just wait til the MS store opens in the Chicago area. You want crowds? (sarcasm alert)
  • Reply 18 of 28
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharliePotatoes View Post

Went to Apple Store the other day. The Converse tennis shoes, scruffy breards, miss fitting jeans, and sweaty T-shirts are getting a little old. How about a start in a dress code. Maybe a 1960s Frat boy look. Black loafers and button down collars with freshly scrubed faces. Apple devices are sharp so why not the staff.

Ha! Good one. Have you seen how Apple upper management dresses?

• Reply 19 of 28
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by CharliePotatoes View Post

Black loafers and button down collars with freshly scrubed faces.

Stuffy nonsense, poorly representing Apple.

• Reply 20 of 28
    applepiapplepi Posts: 365member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

No matter what they did it'd be manufactured. It's a store with employees who are paid to work there and told what to do. I have always cringed at these videos. So much so I fact that I'd avoid an opening in my own City, despite how desperately I'm waiting for even a store in my country.

I feel exactly the same way.