Editorial: Apple's iOS is the new Windows

Comments

• Reply 101 of 225
    umrk_labumrk_lab Posts: 550member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

<...>

I have said this previously, but I think what Apple should have done with that enormous pile of cash they literally have little idea what to do with, is build and deploy a world spanning network of satellites capable of delivering high bandwidth data to Apple devices.  They could use this to leverage an eco-system advantage that Android couldn't begin to touch, not to mention the scope this would provide for really taking over the living room.

<...>

I made the same prediction, too .... It may happen after the ground infrastructure (Data Centers) is established  They can afford it ...

• Reply 102 of 225
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Bwahahahahahahaha!!!

Clearly

Better

I am obviously talking about the top of the line (Galaxy S4, Xperia Z, HTC One). Don't try to change the subject.

• Reply 103 of 225
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Qualcomm is doing quite nicely out of the S4 LTE version, the one with the same cpu as HTC, LG and others are using, Samsung overclock it to get a slight performance edge.

Good point.

• Reply 104 of 225
    stniukstniuk Posts: 90member

Market share is good if you are making money but clearly Android is not making as much as iOS.

If you look at the fact that mac makes 45% of pc profits with a 5-10% market share I know which side I'd rather be on.

• Reply 105 of 225
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member

Apples IOS is not really Windows, Android is...Fo two reasons Ecosystem: I cn buy a windows license and do anything wth it, I can put it on any hardware that can run it, I can replace the shell, I can do pretty much anything.

I can also create android software and distribute it without the blessing of the mothership,

Apple ios runs only on their devices and allows practicaly no customization, also cant distribute software without apples blessing...that is why IOS is more an ecosystem and less a platform.

• Reply 106 of 225
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

I have said this previously, but I think what Apple should have done with that enormous pile of cash they literally have little idea what to do with, is build and deploy a world spanning network of satellites capable of delivering high bandwidth data to Apple devices.  They could use this to leverage an eco-system advantage that Android couldn't begin to touch, not to mention the scope this would provide for really taking over the living room.

What, like this?

• Reply 107 of 225

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

I am obviously talking about the top of the line (Galaxy S4, Xperia Z, HTC One). Don't try to change the subject.

So around 10% of Android devices.

A lot less than Apple's marketshare.

Face reality.

• Reply 108 of 225

Quote:

Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

Apples IOS is not really Windows, Android is...Fo two reasons Ecosystem: I cn buy a windows license and do anything wth it, I can put it on any hardware that can run it, I can replace the shell, I can do pretty much anything.

I can also create android software and distribute it without the blessing of the mothership,

Apple ios runs only on their devices and allows practicaly no customization, also cant distribute software without apples blessing...that is why IOS is more an ecosystem and less a platform.

Jailbreaking.

Enterprise tools.

Web Apps.

No "mothership blessing" required.

• Reply 109 of 225
    hill60 wrote: »
    Jailbreaking.

Enterprise tools.

Web Apps.

No "mothership blessing" required.

* Jailbreaking.. stopped by iOS upgrades and banned!

* Enterprise tools, limited and tightly controlled by agreements and hordes of lawyers.

* Web Apps. Java, flash, plugins, any form av runtime. VERBOTEN.. iBrownshirtts 'r us...

The DRM dark Mothership to rule and enslave them all..
  • Reply 110 of 225
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 697member
    "Apple, like Microsoft, has a huge platform advantage that it could lose if if fails to keep the iPhone a product with clear value to a large audience"

If the intimation is that MS *ever* had a clear value, I have to object. "Value" is not he same as "cheap" and MS never had the sort of "value" that iOS has. It could be argued that it never even had the *value* MacOS had. In my time running a university computing lab late 90s we spent the same amount of time supporting 16 Macs as 4 Wintel machines. Has that changed? Not really. My wife has gone through three $400 Windows laptops (mail web photos office) in the same 5 years as my $999 MacBook (all that plus running IT efforts and an iOS ecosystem and daily teaching and on-the-road machine).
  • Reply 111 of 225
    jpellino wrote: »
    If the intimation is that MS *ever* had a clear value, I have to object. "Value" is not he same as "cheap" and MS never had the sort of "value" that iOS has.

Joke of the day.. A portable-gaming platform like iOS has less value, even than OS X!!!
  • Reply 112 of 225
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,957member
    fredd wrote: »
    Recent research shows the Android platform already has more download potential for developers and revenue is I think less but also catching up. The revenue element is obviously most important, but that will very likely exceed the iOS platform by next year.

Brings to mind the Blues Brothers' Wish Sandwich song, "Rubber Biscuit.": "you have two slices of bread, and you wish you had some meat."
  • Reply 113 of 225
    hydrhydr Posts: 146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredD View Post

I agree.  Very silly article, when iPhone's market share worldwide is threatening to drop to single digits in Q3 and when Apple has dropped to less than 50% of the tablet market share (a market many pundits thought they would dominate forever) and clearly heading rapidly to 20%

Yes, Apple's mobile business is clearly heading the same way as their Mac business did - niche devices with a small market share. By next year we are going to see apps debuting first on Android before iOS, and having better versions there, e.g Facebook Home. The downwards momentum is pretty strong for Apple at the minute.

The only way Apple is like Microsoft is that they both make lots of money, but their share price will remain stagnant for the next 10 years.

Your thinking is flawed. 

Apple more or less created the "tablet space" in 2010 when they launched the iPad. Starting with virtually 100% marketshare. Obviously as more players enters this segment, their marketshare will decline but their sales volume will continue to increase. 

Let me give you a clear example... As I believe you might need it to understand what is going on here.

Last quarter Q2-2013 Apple sold 19.8million iPads - their marketshare as you posted was 48.20%

Exactly one year ago Q2-2012 Apple sold 11.8million iPads - their marketshare 63.10%. See where I´m going with this?

Both the iPhone & iPad are increasing at a rapid rate every single quarter. They are selling as many as they can possibly sell, the problem isn´t losing marketshare - it is creating enough devices for customers to buy. Last quarter they sold 37.4 million iPhones.. 90 days for the quarter including saturday/sundays means they had to produce 415.000 iPhones every single day day or 288.6 iPhones every second throughout the entire month. 

Obviously the tablet space will increase tremendously for many years to come. IDC predicts that 174million tablets will be sold in 2013 and 282 million tablets will be sold in 2016. The market is doubling at a faster speed than Apple can produce enough tablets. As long as the iPad is the single most sold tablet out there, Apple has nothing to worry about when it comes to declining marketshare. It just means that more players are entering the playing field. What we do know is that Surface RT+Pro equals about 4million devices in the last 6 months. Nexus 4 is about 2million for the last 6 months. iPad is about 34 million. 

So in the end marketshare is expected to decline for iPad - although sales volume is expected to increase. It does not matter too much to Apple, what matters though is profits, and Apple added a whopping $12 500 000 0000USD to their bank account for the last three months. That is all you need to know.

• Reply 114 of 225
    Cheap iphone, improved iWorks for iPad and wider availability of iBook and ibook editor and Apple will be we on their way to extending their reach in every aspect of users working and personal lives. The Apple eco system and the fantastic apps there in is the glue to Apple's future, just as Office was the adhesive for MS.

Improvements in iOS and OSX will enable this to remain fresh and the hardware will need to remain reliable, enabling and sexy.

Give folk the access to this eco system and the rest will look after itself.
  • Reply 115 of 225
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,957member
    Android is the new WIndows.. Multiple hardware options driving technology forward. iOS led the way in gui, but it is raplidly becoming a legacy walled garden with close minded bigotism and a big brother we-knows-whats-best-for-you attitude, with an unhealthy one-size-fits all approach to computing..

Wait, did you hit ALL the anti-Apple platitudes in just one post? Yes!!
  • Reply 116 of 225

Think ...

Think as a developer .

1.  Android OS use >> Different Companies >> Different Models >> Different Operators >> Different ui >>   Is it possible to maintain the app up to date ? 

Think as Customer 

2. How a end user get  >>  support >> Service Centers >> How long the model available in market  >>  Trusted Apps  >>  Trust on company >>  ?

So Please Don't  compare  Copycats with  Apple  .   

• Reply 117 of 225
    hydrhydr Posts: 146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

What are these 'problems' you speak of?

Let´s see... At the top of my head if I was head of Apple R&D...

1.) Eliminate having to enter username/passwords, replace it with a better alternative. = Bio metric scanner

2.) Eliminate the need for "recharging" batteries, in fact let us come up with a entirely different approach to power our devices. Instantly charged within seconds - last for weeks - eliminate the need for large and heavy batteries. Fuel Cells

3.) People sometimes drop their phones, breaking the glass or denting it.. Make it dust, rain and drop safe. = Liquid metal / Ceramic

4.) Lets create a TV in 4K UltraHD display that you can control with voice/touch and where you can install apps, play games/movies/music. But in a much better and easier way then current television sets. 

The problem with consumers is that their own world everything is already perfect. Why do I need this and that? Only after releasing a problem-solving device will consumers realize what the problem actually was. Apples R&D, talent and market channels have never been as healthy as right now. No product launches simply indicates to me they have had a major breakthrough, and we are about to find out what it was..

Shares are tanking because the nature of Apples business is not finance-friendly. Apple can and will not talk about future products. How can you convince an investment bank about future prospects if you can not reveal or talk about it at all? The finance world is all about facts. In Apples case there simply is not more products coming after the last one. You can´t put a number on it. It´s as simple as that. 

• Reply 118 of 225
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    fun Sunday reading from DED. don't think i go with the MS metaphor, except for the key "stickiness" factor. two points:

while almost every popular media, social, and locational service you can acess via Android has also been ported to iOS - including most of Google's (they have to because sellimg ads is their business and they can't afford not to) - of coure the reverse is not true. if your media is in iTunes and your pix are in iPhoto - the most common setup for Apple users - you can't access them via an Apple Android app, since there ain't ever going to be any. yes they can be moved to other Android apps, but the process is more trouble than average users will go thru. so once committed, most average users will indeed stick with iOS products. but it is much easier to switch from Android to iOS and bring all that stuff with you via whatever dual-OS brand apps you used for them.

this "one way street" for switching is very much to Apple's longterm advantage.

second, there is no "Android" anymore. "Android" as a single platform is a myth. there is Google android, the original. and there is Amazon android and soon Samsung android and others. and most of all, there are the multiple "white box" androids multiplying in China and India and elsewhere that have nothing to do with any familiar android stuff here (even their Angry Birds is fake).

which is why all the android global market share stats we hear so much about are fake too.
  • Reply 119 of 225
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    iOS is not the New windows.. Android is the new Windows currently, with a multiple HW-vendors approach, and rapidly growing dominance in market-share and installed base.

Apple however s becoming this eras Microsoft, in terms of anti-competitive behavior, and trying to lock customers into a closed eco-system to gain advantages and suck more money from iConsumers!

No one has to buy an iDevice so how is that anticompetitive? I buy my music from amazon. I have ultraviolet movies. If anything Android is anticompetitive. Giving away software for free while others charge a licensing fee.
  • Reply 120 of 225
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jungmark wrote: »
    No one has to buy an iDevice so how is that anticompetitive? I buy my music from amazon. I have ultraviolet movies. If anything Android is anticompetitive. Giving away software for free while others charge a licensing fee.

Manufacturers being able to fork it and not use any of Google's services kinda kills your anti competitive claim. There's a big difference between giving something away and someone else taking it. The OS is on it's servers and anyone including you and I can get a hold of it to use as we please.