Adobe goes subscription-only, rebrands Creative Suite as Creative Cloud

Comments

• Reply 21 of 180
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by ACE Enterprizes View Post

DVD Studio Pro is dead.  One can still use it for the time being, but as part of Final Cut Studio, Apple will no longer be updating it.  

Oh, right. Still works, however.

Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Work requires DVD and BluRay.

And… it does both. Even HD DVD.

• Reply 22 of 180
    alexmitalexmit Posts: 112member
    NO! Not ever. This seems to be the overwhelming answer all over the net. So who or where are these people who 'prefer' this new subscription model? The casual user?
  • Reply 23 of 180
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The cloud part is not required always on. You have the application on your computer and periodically you need to verify your credentials. The cloud storage, sharing and services part is optional. You can still save your files locally and copy them around on your network just like always.

So seeing it's Creative Cloud based, will all apps be Adobe Air-based? That stuff is slow as molasses and just terrible to work with. Adobe has collectively gone insane.

• Reply 24 of 180
    keithwkeithw Posts: 140member

I have ALWAYS spent the money to upgrade when the next version of Photoshop comes out.  But I will NEVER pay $240/year just for the privilege of using Photoshop.

• Reply 25 of 180
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Goodbye 100% of their casual home users, hobbyists & self-employed freelancers.

How utterly bone-headed.
  • Reply 26 of 180

I wouldn't mind if Adobe went all-digital download for software distribution, but subscription-based software burns me up. It's bound to lead to price increases as they try to squeeze more out of customers.

• Reply 27 of 180
    dontuwishdontuwish Posts: 19member

As a photographer, this might be the end of my purchases from Adobe. I had the CS5 Extended Suite, did not upgrade to PS 5.5, but finally went with PS 6 Extended and not the rest of the suite. Lightroom 4 provides me with most of the features I need (reviewing public beta for v5), because plug-ins from OnOne Software (Perfect Photo Suite 7), NIK, Topaz Labs, etc. , go way beyond the capability found in PS 6. I find that if I take the time and energy for correct composition, focus, and exposure, I don't need the features of any of them shooting in RAW. The plug-ins and suites I mentioned, are much easier to use than PS 6, save for the removal tools. Almost point-and-click easy.

First Microsoft, that has had to lower their Office cloud pricing or lose out to Google on retention and growth. Now Adobe, thinking their customers will go willingly.... At least they don't have those stupid dub-step Surface "click" ads. Yet......

• Reply 28 of 180
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

For example, today it's $50 a month. Imagine if, after two years time, once you're fully locked in and dependent, it jumps to $100 a month.

Suck it up or lose the service you depend on?

No. just no.

Why do you think you'll be locked in after two years from now? Go back to CS 6 or choose an alternative if they raise the price to $100. If you don't feel it's worth it, then stop using it then.

Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Not interested in renting Photoshop for $600/year. Pass.

Photoshop by itself is $240/year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Here's the conversation that will happen with my boss.

Me: Adobe moved to an entirely subscription based service.

Boss: What does that mean?

Me: You have to pay $50 a month to use their software.

Boss: Guess you better start researching alternative software.

You listening Apple?

Then your boss is an idiot. For one, it becomes an operating expense rather than a capital expense, and should be favourable come tax time. That's why companies lease equipment rather than buying it. And two, counting upgrades, assuming you use more than two of their apps, you probably paid more than $50/month on average if you upgraded every time to keep current. If you use one or two adobe apps, then rent those individually for $20/month each.

• Reply 29 of 180
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris v View Post

How utterly bone-headed.

Yes, because casual home users, hobbyists, and self-employed freelancers just love forking out $1500 - $2000 for software all at one time.

• Reply 30 of 180
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexmit View Post

NO! Not ever. This seems to be the overwhelming answer all over the net. So who or where are these people who 'prefer' this new subscription model? The casual user?

I've been using it the subscription version since it first came out. No problems and a few additional enhancements. But no it is not targeted at the casual user.

• Reply 31 of 180

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Yes, because casual home users, hobbyists, and self-employed freelancers just love forking out $1500 - $2000 for software all at one time.

Oh, I think they'll keep their low-end Photoshop offering on the App Store, probably stop physical disc distribution entirely. I can't imagine the home user would need or want to pay for Creative Cloud.

By the way, here is their pricing:  http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/buying-guide.html

• Reply 32 of 180

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I wouldn't mind if Adobe went all-digital download for software distribution, but subscription-based software burns me up. It's bound to lead to price increases as they try to squeeze more out of customers.

It is already very expensive. They theoretically could lower the price once they cut out all the pirates, although I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

• Reply 33 of 180
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    It always funny to see the "I will never buy another Adobe product" comments from folks that probably have not paid for any Adobe products in the last 10 years.

And for you doom-sayers, hate to disappoint you but Adobe will be making more money with this, not less.

So go out and start using the craptastic alternatives that are available while the pros use Adobe's stuff to make money.

-kpluck
  • Reply 34 of 180
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    chris v wrote: »

How utterly bone-headed.

I'm not sure how many "casual" users were spending $700 for Photoshop... or $2600 for the full Master Collection.

I understand your point... but Adobe has always made expensive software that was catered to professionals.

If you're not making at least $50 a month to pay for your tools... then you need to increase your freelancing business... or find a suitable software alternative.

I'm guessing Adobe's Elements line will still be around for the hobbyists.

The $50 a month plan makes it easy to keep your finances under control... and you can spend large sums of money on cameras or other equipment to grow your business.
  • Reply 35 of 180

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

It always funny to see the "I will never buy another Adobe product" comments from folks that probably have not paid for any Adobe products in the last 10 years.

And for you doom-sayers, hate to disappoint you but Adobe will be making more money with this, not less.

So go out and start using the craptastic alternatives that are available while the pros use Adobe's stuff to make money.

-kpluck

I rely on their software for my business, but I refuse to get locked into a cloud-dependent subscription-based model.

• Reply 36 of 180
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    So seeing it's Creative Cloud based, will all apps be Adobe Air-based? That stuff is slow as molasses and just terrible to work with. Adobe has collectively gone insane.

The software is downloaded and installed on your computer just like it always has. It only checks in once a month to see if your subscription is up-to-date.

The Cloud storage and other services are optional.

It's a very confusing name... but the software is still installed and runs locally from your computer.
  • Reply 37 of 180

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

The $50 a month plan makes it easy to keep your finances under control... and you can spend large sums of money on cameras or other equipment to grow your business.

That is a good point. Another interesting scenario is that an agency might get a huge job and need to scale up quickly but just for a couple months until the project is complete. They could opt for the month to month plan and then cancel once they don't need all those licenses. Good way to budget your money. With the non-subscription plan they would go broke before they ever got the first check from the client.

• Reply 38 of 180
    davdav Posts: 115member

I'm afraid all media is eventually going to go this way, no ownership, just streaming.  UltraViolet is a start with movies (they don't charge for it now, but they easily could), music could go subscription based too.  Hope not, I like ownership, and would rather host my own personal cloud for my devices.

• Reply 39 of 180
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, right. Still works, however.

And… it does both. Even HD DVD.

With extensive control over menus?

• Reply 40 of 180
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

I'm a casual freelancer and have been upgrading every other year so I'd only pay about $600 to upgrade my copy of CS5 to CS6. I do it when I get some extra work in above my normal load. If instead I went with the subscription, I would pay 959.76 for the first 2 years and 1199.76 for the 2 years after that (discount of 29.99 for first year, 49.99 after that).

I don't need to point out which one is more cost effective.