First look: BlueBulb's iPhone-controlled LED bulb looks to kill light switches

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 69
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

LED bulbs are useless for any kind of serious illumination (despite what it says on the box of millions of "LED flashlights")

Not true. It may be true for the toy flashlights you find in the checkout lines but not for quality LED lights. Companies like Surefire, Olight and Fenix make amazing LED flashlights. They typically use CREE brand emitters and are used extensively in police, military and SAR applications. I'm a SAR volunteer and I have some flashlights that can literally light up a football field. We're talking about thousands of lumens. Some of the super high end LED lights can even give HID torches a run for their money. If that's not "serious illumination" I don't know what is. And CREE emitters are now finding their way into household bulbs too.

• Reply 62 of 69
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

What is a normal bulbs lumens(60 watt incandescent)...

Maybe 800 lumens. There are plenty of LED emitters that can equal that and more.

• Reply 63 of 69
    gonevwgonevw Posts: 45member

I backed them on Kickstarter and grabbed 10 for 50 each, Maybe I should have grabbed more

• Reply 64 of 69
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member

Limitless LED offers similar bulbs which are available right now and are considerably less expensive. Instead of requiring an iPhone app, these also work with a clever and inexpensive remote ($7) and are available in color and white models. I bought several for my place and they work great and took seconds to install.

Only downside is that shipping costs from New Zealand push up the total expense, but still a whole lot cheaper than $60 per bulb ($16). 

http://www.limitlessled.com

• Reply 65 of 69
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member

Quote:

Originally Posted by fyngyrz View Post

Too expensive, too dim, inadequate radiation pattern, poor device support (seriously... ipad1 has bluetooth, etc... there's no reason other than developer cluelessness to limit the app to only the latest devices. Also, there's like a bazillion Androids out there. Derp?)

Most of those bazillion Android owners are not the sort to spend $60 on a light bulb.

"The truth is, the average Android user is not the same as the average iPhone user. iPhone users surf the web more, they’re more willing to buy software, they’re more willing to install and use apps. Some of these stats aren’t even close."

-John Gruber

http://daringfireball.net/2012/01/the_church_of_market_share

• Reply 66 of 69
    pnudingpnuding Posts: 4member
    Sure, just let me turn the lights on. Oh, wait, were did I leave my phone, I can't see a thing... Ah wait, found it. Now where's that app again... Ok, come on, just connect. Ah, there we go, now let's select the right bulb, and on.
    Seriously? Who would want to go through that?
  • Reply 67 of 69
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by pnuding View Post

Sure, just let me turn the lights on. Oh, wait, were did I leave my phone, I can't see a thing... Ah wait, found it. Now where's that app again... Ok, come on, just connect. Ah, there we go, now let's select the right bulb, and on.

Seriously? Who would want to go through that?

See, yeah. That's exactly it.

"Controls in the bulb" is the stupidest thing imaginable. It makes the bulbs far more expensive than they already are, and it's a usability nightmare. Smart controls are supposed to replace the SWITCH, so you wire up regular, stupid bulbs and have specialized hardware where the wall switch used to be. Then controls are on a per-room basis, and can even be split from there. 

• Reply 68 of 69

I do not think you are the first. I came to this forum to find out if anyone has used easybulb at http://www.easybulb.com

Their bulbs do look very much like yours but the app is different. Has anyone here used easybulb for their iphone light control?

Thank you.

• Reply 69 of 69

Örnek Verecek olursak, 100 Watl?k gücünde Bir lamban?n sa?lad??? ???k miktar?na e? de?erde SMD 2835,5630,5050 VEYA 5730 modelinden 20 Watt 'l?k mercekli LED Ampulden Daha çok Verim sa?lamak mümkündür. Verimli ziyaretinde Markal? Olan lambalar?n Di?er Bir avantaj?, kullan?m, sürelerine Ba?l? Olarak Normal Piyasadaki ampullere Göre çok Daha Dayan?kl? olas?d?r.