Sharp to reportedly start 'iPhone 5S' LCD production in June

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A report from the Far East on Tuesday says struggling LCD manufacturer and Apple supplier Sharp is ready to ramp up display manufacture for the next-generation iPhone, with mass production slated to start next month.

Kameyama
Sharp's Kameyama LCD plant in Japan's Mie Prefecture.

Sharp will supposedly be using its Kameyama Plant No. 1 to churn out LCDs bound for the so-called "iPhone 5S," Apple's much-rumored next-generation handset expected to see release in the third quarter, reports Japan's Nikkan Kogyo Shimbun (via Kodawarisan).

The Kameyama facility has seen poor utilization rates as Sharp's LCD business waned in 2012, with the plant's use dropping to some 40 percent of its 600-million unit per month maximum capacity.

Once one of Japan's consumer electronic giants, falling revenue has forced Sharp to take on investments from outside corporations like Apple suppliers Foxconn and Samsung, the latter of which recently became the firm's largest foreign stakeholder.

In addition to Sharp, the publication reported that Japan Display, a company combining the display arms of Sony, Hitachi and Toshiba, and LG Display have also received orders, with mass production at those firms already underway.

Apple's next-generation smartphone is expected to retain the same display as the current iPhone 5, with rumored upgrades being a fingerprint sensor, faster A7 SoC and inclusion of the iOS 7 mobile operating system, among others. Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo in April noted that issues relating to the implementation of the fingerprint sensor, as well as delays in iOS 7 development, could force a later than usual release schedule for the handset.

Also rumored to debut around the same time as the flagship iPhone 5S is a new, more affordable model that could be positioned to address a larger segment of the smartphone consumer marketplace.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    How "struggling" are they since they received that generous cash infusion from Foxconn (in exchange for partial ownership)?
  • Reply 2 of 27
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    Does it even make sense to mention about "starting 'iPhone 5S' LCD production" when it is the same LCD as in iPhone 5?
  • Reply 3 of 27
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jason98 wrote: »
    Does it even make sense to mention about "starting 'iPhone 5S' LCD production" when it is the same LCD as in iPhone 5?

Being the same pixel density or resolution doesn't mean it's the same display tech.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    danwarnedanwarne Posts: 5member
    After having seen the 440ppi display on the HTC One (which was so good I had to touch it to make sure it wasn't a printed sticker stuck over the screen) I would be quite disappointed if Apple stuck with the same resolution for the 5S. I've come to expect Apple to have the very best cutting-edge technology parts in each new iPhone and the HTC One display is certainly a step change better than the iPhone 5 display.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    danwarne wrote: »
    After having seen the 440ppi display on the HTC One (which was so good I had to touch it to make sure it wasn't a printed sticker stuck over the screen) I would be quite disappointed if Apple stuck with the same resolution for the 5S. I've come to expect Apple to have the very best cutting-edge technology parts in each new iPhone and the HTC One display is certainly a step change better than the iPhone 5 display.

Are you seeing the difference between 326 PPI and 440 PPI or are you seeing other differences?
  • Reply 6 of 27
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member

Quote:

Originally Posted by danwarne View Post

Really? The iPhone is known to be on the cutting edge? I love my iPhone, and don't see myself getting anything else anytime soon, but come on. Apple is well known to take the wait-and-see approach with everything. No 3G on original iPhone, low camera megapixel count on earlier models, resistant to screen size increase, had been leapfrogged in pure number of pixels by the original Droid before releasing the Retina display, slow to move to LTE, slow to implement multitasking, slow to implement notification management, slow to incorporate cut-copy-paste, low pure clock speeds on processors relative to competition, low amounts of RAM compared to competition, etc. I, for one, appreciate this, as (most of the time), it means Apple gets it right, and outdoes whatever else is out there. Apple does not chase the spec sheet, only the experience.

• Reply 7 of 27
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member

Good! Anyone but Samsung.....

• Reply 8 of 27
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    What's better about the One display (that you can actually see)?
  • Reply 9 of 27
    macgurumacguru Posts: 35member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

Really? The iPhone is known to be on the cutting edge? I love my iPhone, and don't see myself getting anything else anytime soon, but come on. Apple is well known to take the wait-and-see approach with everything. No 3G on original iPhone, low camera megapixel count on earlier models, resistant to screen size increase, had been leapfrogged in pure number of pixels by the original Droid before releasing the Retina display, slow to move to LTE, slow to implement multitasking, slow to implement notification management, slow to incorporate cut-copy-paste, low pure clock speeds on processors relative to competition, low amounts of RAM compared to competition, etc. I, for one, appreciate this, as (most of the time), it means Apple gets it right, and outdoes whatever else is out there. Apple does not chase the spec sheet, only the experience.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

• Reply 10 of 27
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Are you seeing the difference between 326 PPI and 440 PPI or are you seeing other differences?

I was wondering the same thing. Higher resolution may still contribute to the sense of realism, but it needs to be a pretty significant difference to be noticeable. I suspect this isn't a high priority for Apple, as a stronger backlight would cut into battery life.

• Reply 11 of 27
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

It's going to be a long time until Apple doubles the screen res of the iPhone. And frankly I'm glad they use this method, because I find the res great and the higher res the more things are affected, like performance, heat, battery life.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    rogifan wrote: »
    What's better about the One display (that you can actually see)?

That's a strange question to ask him. It sounds to me like you don't believe him?
  • Reply 13 of 27

Just a gut feeling, but I think the difference you're perceiving is actually the screen size. iPads are lower pixel density than the iPhone, but because they are far bigger than look more breath taking IMO. I suspect that's actually what's happening.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    I
    hittrj01 wrote: »

I disagree slightly. Apple aren't a wait and see company but they certainly aren't a rush in regardless company.
    From what I see, not much is more important than battery life to them so they'll only do something if it can be done well.

I have no doubt that Apple could have been the first with a lot of tech but then everyone would be moaning about the 3 hour battery life.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    applelunaticapplelunatic Posts: 181member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

Higher clock speeds and higher amounts of RAM does not make your product "cutting-edge".  Having higher performance with lower-clock speeds, lower amounts of RAM combined with faster memory bandwidth which in turn yields better battery life is far more "cutting-edge" than the useless octo-core, 2GB phones that need all of that just to make the Android UI less laggy (and even that isn't guaranteed). You're confusing needing to make up for inefficient software with more battery-hungry hardware with being "cutting-edge".

• Reply 16 of 27
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Sharp now producing iPhone 5 successor LCD's - Sharp invented IGZO - really hope rumours that the 5s screen is the same as the 5 screen, are incorrect and the 5s will finally incorporate an IGZO display...really want to see how this technology compares with current smartphone display fodder.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by danwarne View Post

Remember that the One display uses a PenTile matrix so the resolution figure is misleading. There ARE that many pixels, but it takes 150% more of them to create the same image. Thus a 440ppi PenTile display is the equivalent of a 293ppi IPS screen while being slightly less sharp than a 293ppi IPS.

The iPhone screen is better in bright sunlight and draws less power allowing longer battery life.

Like everything else in life, every gain comes at the price of a sacrifice somewhere else.

• Reply 18 of 27

bài vi?t này hay quá à, thank

• Reply 19 of 27
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

There is no love lost between Japan and South Korea. This applies to the huge rivalry in sports like baseball and soccer as well as in business. It is a long and complicated history and not everyone in those countries has animosity but they all have a rivalry. You see the bitter hatred more among older generations than those under 30. Japanese companies like Sharp, NEC, Sony, Mitsubishi, Matsuhita, and others are none too happy about the rise of Samsung and to a lesser degree LG. 

Sharp has always been known for fantastic displays and this goes back many years. My first cell phone was a Sharp that blew every other phone away at the time. This was many years before smart phones. I think more partnerships with Japanese companies like Sharp will work out well. The Japanese are eager to reassert themselves in technology and will make great partners for Apple. They are also far less likely to steal ideas or leak info like Samsung and some Chinese partners have done. Steve had a great admiration for Sony and Japanese culture in general and I hope this is just a a taste of more to come. 

• Reply 20 of 27
    v5v wrote: »
    Remember that the One display uses a PenTile matrix so the resolution figure is misleading.

The HTC One use Super LCD 3, not Samsung's PenTile AMOLED technology. It's RGB all the way!

PS: Oh no, now I'll get blasted for saying something positive about HTC¡

edit: typo.