UniKey-powered Kevo aims to make Apple's iPhone the ultimate secure wireless house key

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

Quote:

Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

Looks pretty cool, and I will investigate. $250 seems a little steep. There are some other alternatives out there for sure, but what attracted me was that this one seems to fit into the existing bolt hole I already have. Nothing on the Kevo site about installation though. Dorking around getting this onto the door is the biggest challenge.

I presume the inside side has a "disable" function. There's some verbiabge about knowing what side of the door you're on with your phone, but I presume they know that people want to be able to simply disable the system with a flick of the hard switch/bolt. Dunno how close the phone has to be to unlock. I presume when you walk away it relocks? Contractors and babysitters are going to forget.

I think the inside disable is more so when you walk up to the door to see who is at it and they are tapping on the lock attempting to unlock it, the system won't 'see' your phone and unlock the door, letting the intruder (read noisy neighbor) inside. 

• Reply 22 of 70
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 529member
    As long as there is still a keyhole, it can be (easily) picked. I want a lock that can't be picked, but I also don't want to be locked out of my home when the battery dies or a capacitor blows.

When I was in Korea, I noticed that almost all apartment locks are digital only.
  • Reply 23 of 70
    brunzillabrunzilla Posts: 39member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

I think the inside disable is more so when you walk up to the door to see who is at it and they are tapping on the lock attempting to unlock it, the system won't 'see' your phone and unlock the door, letting the intruder (read noisy neighbor) inside. 

Yes...

One guy above posted about Lockitron - I love the concept of Lockitron. (Push notifications when your lock is locked or unlocked, also a knocking sensor that sends you a notification that someone is knocking at your door) THAT is awesome.

However, this comment is exactly what I am curious about with Lockitron. I wouldn't want someone outside being able to open while I was on the inside... That may be a problem for Lockitron.

• Reply 24 of 70
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Quote:

Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

I agree... I want it to work no matter what tech it uses.....

But I wonder what happens if your phone gets stolen? The phone would have all of your conact info including your address. Could it be a security risk I wonder?

Here's the answer from the Web site:

What happens if I lose my phone?

Simply log into the Kevo app on another smartphone or into the Kevo web portal and disable or delete any eKeys associated with the lock. You will need to use your Kevo Fob or the standard key to unlock the lock until you retrieve or replace your phone.

What I don't get is this:  I have 2 locks (same key) on my door, the handle lock and a deadbolt.  Are they planning to sell coordinated systems?  Without that, this wouldn't work for me and my door (which is the most commet setup, no?).

• Reply 25 of 70
    alexmitalexmit Posts: 112member
    Where I live this would be no better than a standard deadbolt. A size 12 shoe takes out the area surrounding the lock or the door frame easier than any bluetooth hack.
  • Reply 26 of 70
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Is this a better lock than what they use in a Master Security Door? Kwikset locks aren't that difficult to pick. The Master Security Doors are the laser cut keys, which are supposed to be more difficult.
  • Reply 27 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

I imagine it's a simple matter of canceling that phone from the list of allowable devices.  But I wonder how you do that?  What's the UI for configuring the lock?

What I don't get is this:  I have 2 locks (same key) on my door, the handle lock and a deadbolt.  Are they planning to sell coordinated systems?  Without that, this wouldn't work for me and my door (which is the most commet setup, no?).

Yeah, it would be great to have a link to ask a few questions.

Or if you and your better half can have access on multiple devices (probably)

• Reply 28 of 70
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

This is where NFC would be great. Oops, the iPhone does not have NFC!

I thought those NFC phones had hacks.  I think Charlie MIller came out with one or exposed a NFC hack.

• Reply 29 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Is this a better lock than what they use in a Master Security Door? Kwikset locks aren't that difficult to pick. The Master Security Doors are the laser cut keys, which are supposed to be more difficult.

If someone is going to break in, they will just kick the door in.

Thats one reason I like the Lockitron sending notifications. At least if they kicked the door in, you'd get a knock notification as an alert.

Hope Kwikset at least adds these features in!!!!

• Reply 30 of 70
    tikimantikiman Posts: 68member
    And what if, when I'm home, my fob or iPhone is sitting close enough to one of these locks to still show their "presence"? My kitchen (where my keys sit and iPhones charge) is less than 20 feet from the door.

I'm sorry, but I'm not buying that their technology can perfectly tell which side of the door it's on 100% of the time.

Hey, Mr. Robber, just tap the lock and come on in!
  • Reply 31 of 70
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,065member

There was a funny quote from long ago: "Locks are for honest people." I simply lock my house and doors to deter the causal spur of the moment intruder - the kid with nothing better to do, or someone simply unprepared to use force. This kind of system fits the bill. Honestly, if an evil doer is going to pick my lock, s/he has come prepared, and I'd rather they simply enter, steal, and get the hell out doing as little damage as necessary. This is why I pay insurance premium.

Yeah, yeah, this will quickly degrade into a second amendment argument, and I have no interest in doing that here.

• Reply 32 of 70
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brunzilla View Post

If someone is going to break in, they will just kick the door in.

Thats one reason I like the Lockitron sending notifications. At least if they kicked the door in, you'd get a knock notification as an alert.

Hope Kwikset at least adds these features in!!!!

My sense is that the lock itself isn't internet enabled (or they would tout that), so I don't think it could do this.

• Reply 33 of 70
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tikiman View Post

And what if, when I'm home, my fob or iPhone is sitting close enough to one of these locks to still show their "presence"? My kitchen (where my keys sit and iPhones charge) is less than 20 feet from the door.

I'm sorry, but I'm not buying that their technology can perfectly tell which side of the door it's on 100% of the time.

Hey, Mr. Robber, just tap the lock and come on in!

Spoken like a person who has never used NFC

• Reply 34 of 70
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    However this is the future, I can't imagine how this is going to make Internet hacking a more used thing than verses uh, picking a lock, people stealing pictures just sync there devices and delete all, /s
  • Reply 35 of 70
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexmit View Post

Where I live this would be no better than a standard deadbolt. A size 12 shoe takes out the area surrounding the lock or the door frame easier than any bluetooth hack.

Not if you have a full metal door and a stone door frame. Of course smashing a window is still an option (unless you install security glass on all your windows.

• Reply 36 of 70
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member

Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

My sense is that the lock itself isn't internet enabled (or they would tout that), so I don't think it could do this.

That's how I understand it as well.

• Reply 37 of 70
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Kevo also has support for Kwikset smart key technology, which allows users to re-key the new deadbolt to their old physical key. And the system is backed by what Dumas said is "military-grade encryption" for its wireless entry.

"If you're going to break into this, you might as well break into a bank account," he said.

This is just another tumbler lock and any thief with a bump key can be inside in a matter of seconds, hacking not required.

• Reply 38 of 70
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Whole-home automation using Z-wave technology, including Internet control of lights, sensors and door locks, seems far more interesting to me.

wow, what an advertising blitz kwikset has paid for. several mac sites, wired, ...

Eh, seems way overpriced and kind of dodgy technology to me.  

It doesn't say what the underlying tech is but implies rather strongly that it's basically Wi-Fi.  So access to your home network (not hard to do), compromises your door lock (as well as everything else in your house).  

Also their doorlock is some kind of ridiculous touch-screen thingie.  I'd rather have a regular doorlock like this in a standard size with a key for when it breaks down than some whiz-bang technology that is poorly explained, overpriced and impenetrable to the end user.  

• Reply 39 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

This is just another tumbler lock and any thief with a bump key can be inside in a matter of seconds, hacking not required.

1) Thieves generally only have "bump keys" in movies.  

2) This is true of the lock it replaces also.

You're assuming that this is some kind of high-security technology when it's clearly described as simply a regular lock with a few extra features that make it better.  On that level, it seems like a great success to me.  You pull out the old lock, put this one in and 'boom' ... better lock.  

Is it something the CIA should use to lock up their Heroin?  No.  It's just a better lock.  

• Reply 40 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexmit View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brunzilla View Post

If someone is going to break in, they will just kick the door in. ...

This only works if you have a bad door frame, bad door etc. A decent solid core door in a metal frame wouldn't budge for someone's foot.