Purported next-gen iPhone motherboard part may reveal tweaked camera design

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A component claimed to be part of the motherboard for an unreleased iPhone shows Apple may employ some internal design changes where the camera lens and flash are housed.

Mobo

The parts were highlighted by French Apple site Nowhereelse on Thursday, and bear a strong resemblance to the corner of the iPhone 5 motherboard. But there are some key differences between the existing phone's component and the newly pictured part claimed to be from an unreleased iPhone model.

The tweaked design can be found on the end of the motherboard that has traditionally powered the camera and flash in previous generation models. But while the ribbons holding the part were two separate pieces inside the iPhone 5, those components have been connected to form one piece in the new component.

With Apple rumored to be working on expanding the iPhone lineup, it's unknown exactly what anticipated device the purported iPhone component could be intended for. Possibilities include an "iPhone 5S" or low-cost iPhone, both of which are expected to be introduced this year. Another option could be a completely different iPhone design, potentially for a 2014 model.

Mobo

Thursday's part leak only shows one corner component of the motherboard, so it does not offer an indication as to what processor or other parts might be included.

The pictured component was obtained by Japanese retailer Moumantai, which was also the source of previous leaks of alleged next-gen iPhone components. One part pictured last month showed an alleged "iPhone 5S" camera lens, along with an unidentified mystery part.

Another component shown by the same retailer claimed to feature the home button of an iPhone 5S, while a third was alleged to be the vibration motor intended for an unreleased Apple handset.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    It will be interesting to see what Apple has in store for the camera. It is amazing how sophisticated the current iPhone camera system is. I know many folks that get better results from their iPhone than a $1,000 Canon. Obviously 'auto HDR with AI built in and zero knowledge of how to use a camera required' is the reason. If only Apple would put a screen up when folks start to use the video with the iPhone held vertically asking them, 'are you really sure you want to capture video vertically so it won't fit on any screen without looking like you are a total moron?' ...

I wonder if IS (Image Stabilization like higher end Canon and Nikon lenses have) is the next thing, giving extra aperture stops in low light at slower speeds ...?
  • Reply 2 of 39
    jglonekjglonek Posts: 18member

I am still very disappointed in the quality of low light photos with my iPhone 5. Very disappointed. I would prefer that Apple stop trying to shrink the iPhone with each iteration and actually put in the necessary sensors to have a decent low light camera.

• Reply 3 of 39
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member
    It will be interesting to see what Apple has in store for the camera. It is amazing how sophisticated the current iPhone camera system is. I know many folks that get better results from their iPhone than a $1,000 Canon. Obviously 'auto HDR with AI built in and zero knowledge of how to use a camera required' is the reason. If only Apple would put a screen up when folks start to use the video with the iPhone held vertically asking them, 'are you really sure you want to capture video vertically so it won't fit on any screen without looking like you are a total moron?' ...

I wonder if IS (Image Stabilization like higher end Canon and Nikon lenses have) is the next thing, giving extra aperture stops in low light at slower speeds ...?

Smartphone cameras are indeed impressive and the iPhone camera is one of the best. But if someone takes better photos with a smartphone than with a $1000 camera, they're holding it (the camera) wrong.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I'm calling bullshit on some of what you said, anyone that knows anything about photography would be turning in their graves.

No doubt, someone with an iPhone could compose a great photo, i use mine all the time, the sensor in an iPhone doesn't come close to a DSLR or even a decent 4/3rd camera or a mirror-less, its about sensor size, the better & BIGGER the sensor the more light it can capture, better sensitivity, sorry to jump on you there, I'm really into photography & this is a growing miss conception in tech, an iPhone can replace a compact camera right now, i think it has, any camera that is more serious owns an iPhone as far as photo taking, sorry, ill get back on point.

what apple might do is put a larger sensor & lens, which could give a better ISO sensitivity & with better glass, could get some great low light shots, improve day shooting too, at this point, unless they make iPhone thicker, i don't think we will see, real IS or optical zoom, which I'm fine with right now. 

• Reply 5 of 39
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member
    jglonek wrote: »
    I am still very disappointed in the quality of low light photos with my iPhone 5. Very disappointed. I would prefer that Apple stop trying to shrink the iPhone with each iteration and actually put in the necessary sensors to have a decent low light camera.

Don't know if Apple has reached that point yet but there's no question the pursuit of thinness will compromise photography.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    Smartphone cameras are indeed impressive and the iPhone camera is one of the best. But if someone takes better photos with a smartphone than with a $1000 camera, they're holding it (the camera) wrong.
    No kidding! LOL. I That was my point.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member

Good points. I'm also amazed at the quality it gives. It really makes pictures that are good enough to keep, and not be considered snap shots.

Hmm, that will indeed be needed since we lost the ability to look TTL. I think there will be a smartphone one day that has the flash removed further from the lens than it currently is. That would eliminate/reduce the possibility of red eyes.

I think your holding it wrong, literally. I keep my hand or the iPhone steady by leaning against something and get good results. The change from f/2.8 > f/2.4 was welcome and needed indeed. Sure, one could hope for even greater aperture, although I don't think they'll get to f/0.95 lol

Leica 50mm f/0.95 Noctilux-M ASPH Lens for M System - USA
    $10,995.00
    Adorama.com
  • Reply 8 of 39
    zozman wrote: »
    I'm calling bullshit on some of what you said, anyone that knows anything about photography would be turning in their graves.

No doubt, someone with an iPhone could compose a great photo, i use mine all the time, the sensor in an iPhone doesn't come close to a DSLR or even a decent 4/3rd camera or a mirror-less, its about sensor size, the better & BIGGER the sensor the more light it can capture, better sensitivity, sorry to jump on you there, I'm really into photography & this is a growing miss conception in tech, an iPhone can replace a compact camera right now, i think it has, any camera that is more serious owns an iPhone as far as photo taking, sorry, ill get back on point.

what apple might do is put a larger sensor & lens, which could give a better ISO sensitivity & with better glass, could get some great low light shots, improve day shooting too, at this point, unless they make iPhone thicker, i don't think we will see, real IS or optical zoom, which I'm fine with right now. 

Wow, it's amazing how totally incorrectly my post was interpreted by you ... my bad I guess if it wasn't clear... I said I know people that can take better pictures ... precisely because they are clueless. I am a professional photographer amongst other things and hold a degree in the subject. I will have to study what I wrote and see how I missed being clear. I use Canon IS lenses most of the time and love them, hence my reference to that topic. IS can be achieved either in the lens or the body, the lens is better but the body would be better than nothing.

EDit: I re read what I wrote and can only conclude you didn't read carefully or perhaps English isn't your primary language?
  • Reply 9 of 39

Quote:

Wow, it's amazing how totally incorrectly my post was interpreted by you ... my bad I guess if it wasn't clear... I said I know people that can take better pictures ... precisely because they are clueless. I am a professional photographer amongst other things and hold a degree in the subject. I will have to study what I wrote and see how I missed being clear.

Sorry dude, i might have just jumped too quickly onto it, its late here in Australia, haha.

the subject is interesting, gets annoying for people that love photography, i went into a camera shop a few days ago, asking for a bag for my new mirror less, the guy told me there was no point, phones are just as good, that spun me out, his college came back just in time for me to school him, she agreed with me, then i left the shop, haha :)

Photography is something everyone can do now, spending so much on L series lenses & gear is harder to explain to the lay person. 

I might be a tad defensive about it :P 

PS, i also re-read your post, i can only conclude that you are full of it, your semi-sarcasm threw me, sarcasm doesn't work in writing very well.

Australians use English similarly to a country you may or may not have heard of....England ;)

Isn't Spanish the main language spoken in Florida? :p 

• Reply 10 of 39
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    No doubt, someone with an iPhone could compose a great photo, i use mine all the time, the sensor in an iPhone doesn't come close to a DSLR or even a decent 4/3rd camera or a mirror-less, its about sensor size, the better & BIGGER the sensor the more light it can capture, better...

I disagree. The camera doesn't take the picture, you do. That is why some pictures from phones look better than taken with a SLR. Sure, technically, larger sensor is better than smaller, but that has nothing to do with the quality. Professionals use whatever tool available to get the job done, and not blame their equipment.
  • Reply 11 of 39

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I disagree. The camera doesn't take the picture, you do. That is why some pictures from phones look better than taken with a SLR. Sure, technically, larger sensor is better than smaller, but that has nothing to do with the quality. Professionals use whatever tool available to get the job done, and not blame their equipment.

No, you are talking about composition of a photo, someone with an iPhone without a doubt could do a better job then someone with a DSLR, however, the iPhone has a lower ceiling when it comes to good quality shots, a DSLR in the right hands can do things that an iPhone simply cant do, this is a fact.

You are getting composition & quality mixed up, how the shot looks, the style, the art to it, VS how accurate, crisp detail, bokeh. 

I agree with the best camera is the one you have on you, a great photographer can get great results from an iPhone, however, they can get much better shots with actual photography gear, that's why there is an industry for it. 

• Reply 12 of 39
    abobrekabobrek Posts: 31member
    The advancement of technology makes things not only more improved but smaller. I think sometime in the next 5-10 years we will see smartphone cameras being the same, if not better than the best cameras of today. Take this discovery for instance, http://www.wired.com/rawfile/2012/08/new-flat-lens-could-revolutionize-cameras-as-we-know-them/. As of right now, I indeed would like to see Apple improve the low-light performance of their cameras, it would give them a huge advantage over other smartphone cameras. I often see smartphone camera photo comparisons and they all seem to lack on low light performance. It will be interesting to see what camera system Apple implements in their next gen. devices and how they will perform in low light conditions.

Also, has anyone seen the rumor that the next iPhone won't be called the, "5S" it will be called, "6". Techradar reported yesterday that Vodafone had an image of, "iPhone 6" in their future inventory system. Whether that is true or not, I guess we will have to wait and see, but it would make sense due to the supposed Fall Apple lineup and the pushback of the release of Apple's product refresh. Who knows at this point.
  • Reply 13 of 39

Sorry dude, i might have just jumped too quickly onto it, its late here in Australia, haha.
    the subject is interesting, gets annoying for people that love photography, i went into a camera shop a few days ago, asking for a bag for my new mirror less, the guy told me there was no point, phones are just as good, that spun me out, his college came back just in time for me to school him, she agreed with me, then i left the shop, haha :)
    Photography is something everyone can do now, spending so much on L series lenses & gear is harder to explain to the lay person. 
    I might be a tad defensive about it :P 

PS, i also re-read your post, i can only conclude that you are full of it, your semi-sarcasm threw me, sarcasm doesn't work in writing very well.

Australians use English similarly to a country you may or may not have heard of....England ;)
    Isn't Spanish the main language spoken in Florida? :p 

Nice P.S. I am English born and raised so the local language here in Florida is not really impacting me :). I wasn't being sarcastic even if you were, I was giving two plausible alternative suggestions for your misunderstanding, having re read and seen I was crystal clear (to me anyway lol) . It seems I was spot on with the first one. I always try to consider people being confused a wee bit who may not speak English natively hence my second non-sarcastic give. Having lived and worked in Europe I have become far less assumptive about communications in English being clear. So your first response was ill considered because you are tired, this P.S. is what? You are just in a snippy mood? Joking apart, Australian English may well have a slightly different read on the language and things may appear sarcastic to you when they are not. I use /s when I am. I assure you. :D

I totally agree with you about comments about the idiocy of iPhones being 'better' than a real camera by a salesman, unless he was able to determine the buyer was ignorant of all photography knowledge in which case although technically incorrect, it would be good advice maybe :)

P.S. I wasn't referring to the salesman taking to you ... in case you jump to the wrong inference a third time ...
  • Reply 14 of 39
    abobrek wrote: »
    The advancement of technology makes things not only more improved but smaller. I think sometime in the next 5-10 years we will see smartphone cameras being the same, if not better than the best cameras of today. Take this discovery for instance, http://www.wired.com/rawfile/2012/08/new-flat-lens-could-revolutionize-cameras-as-we-know-them/. As of right now, I indeed would like to see Apple improve the low-light performance of their cameras, it would give them a huge advantage over other smartphone cameras. I often see smartphone camera photo comparisons and they all seem to lack on low light performance. It will be interesting to see what camera system Apple implements in their next gen. devices and how they will perform in low light conditions.

Also, has anyone seen the rumor that the next iPhone won't be called the, "5S" it will be called, "6". Techradar reported yesterday that Vodafone had an image of, "iPhone 6" in their future inventory system. Whether that is true or not, I guess we will have to wait and see, but it would make sense due to the supposed Fall Apple lineup and the pushback of the release of Apple's product refresh. Who knows at this point.

I agree totally about low light, hence my earlier comments about some kind of IS capability however that is accomplished. It may be a new Apple take on the whole topic as I can't see gyroscopic lenses in the near future but with nano technology I wouldn't rule it out some time soon. Ultimately technology has to allow for slower shutter speeds when hand held and that's the best way with minimal noise.

Regarding models; My bet is they are both true rumors, 5s and 6. Apple are no doubt working on the two in parallel but it would seem to me a 5s will be incremental and 6 more dramatic some months later.

Great link by the way. The technology of lenses will change I am sure in the coming years and as you say what we consider state of the art now will be antiquated junk. The knowledge we have now as photographers will always be a help I'm sure but so much will be possible for the novice with no knowledge which these technical leaps.

BTW. Imagine that technology with nano gyros and insect compound like lenses giving RAW the ability to store multiple POVs and DOFs.
  • Reply 15 of 39

Quote:

Nice P.S. I am English born and raised so the local language here in Florida is not really impacting me image. I wasn't being sarcastic even if you were, I was giving two plausible alternative suggestions for your misunderstanding, having re read and seen I was crystal clear (to me anyway lol) . It seems I was spot on with the first one. I always try to consider people being confused a wee bit who may not speak English natively hence my second non-sarcastic give. Having lived and worked in Europe I have become far less assumptive about communications in English being clear. So your first response was ill considered because you are tired, this P.S. is what? You are just in a snippy mood? Joking apart, Australian English may well have a slightly different read on the language and things may appear sarcastic to you when they are not. I use /s when I am. I assure you. image

I totally agree with you about comments about the idiocy of iPhones being 'better' than a real camera by a salesman, unless he was able to determine the buyer was ignorant of all photography knowledge in which case although technically incorrect, it would be good advice maybe image

P.S. I wasn't referring to the salesman taking to you ... in case you jump to the wrong inference a third time ...

I don't really want to have a tit for tat thing going on, honestly, remarks back & forth, no point, I think it was your phrasing.

I added my PS after you edited your post with the extra comments.

Haha, the salesman was telling me this about phones built in cameras, i showed him the camera i had, he was probably just trying to make me feel bad (not a good sales ploy). i show him my camera so i can fit a bag, so he tells me a phone would do a better job then a camera that i spent heaps on :p

Anyways, i hope the iPhone does get a better camera & stays out of the mega pixel war. 

• Reply 16 of 39
    I don't really want to have a tit for tat thing going on, honestly, remarks back & forth, no point, I think it was your phrasing.
    I added my PS after you edited your post with the extra comments.

Haha, the salesman was telling me this about phones built in cameras, i showed him the camera i had, he was probably just trying to make me feel bad (not a good sales ploy). i show him my camera so i can fit a bag, so he tells me a phone would do a better job then a camera that i spent heaps on :p

Anyways, i hope the iPhone does get a better camera & stays out of the mega pixel war. 

NP. :)

Good sleeping down under
  • Reply 17 of 39
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

Then obviously you have no sense of history nor experience over the years with silver based systems. The fact that iPhone can take some pictures in low light is pretty amazing. Apple has to try to balance the cameras performance between the normal conditions people would use it it in and low light situations.

It might be your opinion that fewer pixels, enabling better low light performance, is the way to go but that is all it is opinion. Consider what was or is required to get good low light performance with silver based systems. You either used grainy "fast" film of very intense flashes, if you had the wrong film you either took very long exposures or ended up with worst results than can be had with iPhone. Speaking of long exposures I'd love to see real manual control with the iPhone.

There are some interesting possibilities on the horizon. One manufacture has developed a thin capacitor that would allow for Xeon flashes in a cell phone camera. Improvements to the actual detectors are on the way too. In the end cell phone camera technology is evolving very rapidly compared to film technology, you really have nothing to be disappointed with. If you had a sense of perspective you would be shocked at just how good iPhones camera is in the norm.
  • Reply 18 of 39

Baloney!

Taking good pictures is a matter of the operator of the device. I've taken good pictures with my iPhone and blown pictures with my Nikon or RZ. The biggest problem with the iPhone isn't the sensor but rather the lack of control. If you can work within what the iPhone does automatically you can get good results.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

[...] Professionals use whatever tool available to get the job done, and not blame their equipment.

I semi-agree with the first part of that sentence and disagree with the second.

In my work I am sometimes forced to use equipment that is lower quality or less fully-featured than I would like, but most of the time I make sure that the "tools available" are of high enough quality to satisfy the requirements of the project without significant compromises. Part of my job as a professional is making sure I have the right gear for the job.

I don't see any reason not to blame the equipment when it's the reason quality or creative are compromised. Obviously a professional should be able to coax out the best the equipment can provide and work in a way that minimizes the effects of equipment limitations, but, equally obviously, there are limits. When the desired results are not being realized but could be with better equipment, it's perfectly reasonable to acknowledge that and examine alternatives.

• Reply 20 of 39
    No, you are talking about composition of a photo, someone with an iPhone without a doubt could do a better job then someone with a DSLR, however, the iPhone has a lower ceiling when it comes to good quality shots, a DSLR in the right hands can do things that an iPhone simply cant do, this is a fact.
    Back in the days of film there was no doubt that a medium format camera could out do a SLR but you saw few with any sort of medium format camera around their necks. SLRs back then where considered professional or advanced hobbiest cameras with the bulk of consumer photography going to lesser cameras. So when you compare a cell phone camera, any cell phone camera, you should be comparing it to historical consumer devices. In that regard the iPhone does a far better job than point and shoot 35 mm, 110, disk and other technologies of the silver era.

Your logic makes no sense really, it is like saying a pickup is useless because it can't haul several tons of rocks like a Mac truck.
    You are getting composition & quality mixed up, how the shot looks, the style, the art to it, VS how accurate, crisp detail, bokeh. 
    The only person that is mixed up is you. You are trying to apply professional standards to a device that was never intended to be a professional camera.
    I agree with the best camera is the one you have on you, a great photographer can get great results from an iPhone, however, they can get much better shots with actual photography gear, that's why there is an industry for it. 
    So what is the point? Back in the day I use to shoot 6x7 medium format and would get excellent results but i couldn't slip the camera in my pocket without attracting the attention of the ladies. I really don't think you are being realistic here, iPhone isn't about taking picture that allows you to study the technical results in art class. It is about taking the same sort of pictures that consumers would have taken with consumer grade equipment 20 or 30 years ago. Compared to what became before iPhone is a hands down winner.