Apple Maps 3D Flyover support comes to Paris

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple continues to gradually expand the number of cities that support its 3D Flyover feature in iOS Maps, with Paris being the latest addition.

Paris

The update to Flyover in Apple's proprietary Maps application, which was first noticed by iGeneration, also extends beyond Paris to surrounding areas, including Versailles, Aulnay-sous-Bois, L'Hay-les-Roses, and even Disneyland. It's unknown whether any other cities were updated alongside Paris.

The new 3D mapping option in Paris comes about two months after Flyover rolled out to 15 new ctiies around the world. Flyover was introduced in 2012, when Apple replaced Google Maps with its own in-house solution.

Flyover allows users to view cities and buildings rendered in 3D. The interactive maps combine overhead images with three-dimensional geometry, allowing users to view major cities in new and unique ways.

Paris

Apple has also been continually hiring new personnel in an effort to improve Flyover and its iOS Maps application overall. With the launch of Apple Maps last year, Flyover in particular was plagued with distorted imagery that gave inaccurate renderings of landmarks such as the Hoover Dam and Brooklyn Bridge.

Updates to Maps Flyover data has been gradual but slow since iOS Maps debuted last September, as evidenced by the fact that it took more than seven months for Flyover support to come to Paris ? one of the most famous and most visited cities in the world.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Finally!

The first city I went to test Flyover with. Oh, well.. Better late than never.
  • Reply 2 of 61
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Wow. I just checked it. Its awesome. Silently they are working on Maps, it seems.

• Reply 3 of 61
    trillottrillot Posts: 19member
    My own town is included with my home, it very nice!!

Noisiel, 77186, France
  • Reply 4 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trillot View Post

My own town is included with my home, it very nice!!

Noisiel, 77186, France

If you went to the same place what you mentioned, Maps are improving image

• Reply 5 of 61
    scaniescanie Posts: 13member
    Enfin ! You can even see General La Fayette's grave in Picpus Cemetary (Paris XIIth) ...
  • Reply 6 of 61
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Compared to how poorly the algorithms seem to handle trees, I'm sure they must have touched up the Eiffel Tower and the Arc de Triomphe manually.
  • Reply 7 of 61
    scotty321scotty321 Posts: 313member
    This makes no sense. Why is Apple wasting resources on flyovers? Nobody -- and I mean nobody -- uses this feature of Maps. I don't think anybody even knows how to get into this feature of the Maps app, let alone using it once they're there. Apple should be focusing on fixing all their broken & terrible directions, instead of something superfluous like flyovers. Seriously, Apple, get your act together.
  • Reply 8 of 61
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    scotty321 wrote: »
    This makes no sense. Why is Apple wasting resources on flyovers? Nobody -- and I mean nobody -- uses this feature of Maps. I don't think anybody even knows how to get into this feature of the Maps app, let alone using it once they're there. Apple should be focusing on fixing all their broken & terrible directions, instead of something superfluous like flyovers. Seriously, Apple, get your act together.

you are so right. not a single person in the entire world, apple employees included, have ever used or will ever use the flyover feature of maps.

and the only thing that all 80,000+ employees of apple are doing is working on flyover. hell, if you call the apple support line you right now you'll hear a silly recording that says "we can't come to the phone right now because we're busy working on apple maps flyover just to piss off scotty321"

troll much?
  • Reply 9 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

Compared to how poorly the algorithms seem to handle trees, I'm sure they must have touched up the Eiffel Tower and the Arc de Triomphe manually.

Its not bad algorithm.  There are millions of trees to touch. And there is only one Arch de Triomphe and only one Eiffel Tower.

Do you want Apple to touch all the Trees that are not significant on maps?

They may touch a tree when this happens

• Reply 10 of 61
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 226member
    Remarkably telling that such a city wasn't covered previously. Heck it's probably one of US citizen's holiday destinations so it's not even necessary solely a benefit for Europeans..

Ive ditched Apple Maps. So so much happier with Google Maps. It actually knows how to look up things near where I live, and flyovers is only really useful for tourists.
  • Reply 11 of 61
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Arc de Triomphe without a single car? Looks weird.

• Reply 12 of 61
    jusephejusephe Posts: 108member

Cars are erased.

• Reply 13 of 61
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Finally! It's over a huge part of the suburbs too and with great quality! I hope they make lots of ads about this in France, it's a detail but an important one!
  • Reply 14 of 61
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Couldn't agree more. That said, I am sure (I hope) they are.

So far, at least for me (and given where Iive), Apple Maps directions are truly second-rate -- on more than one occasion, it has either failed to find some obvious addresses, or it has given me directions that are circuitous and non-obvious (upon subsequent checking with Google Maps and MapQuest). 

I don't use it any more because I don't trust it. Google Maps is so much better currently. I'll check back in a couple of years.

• Reply 15 of 61
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Odd, that we have Paris... but not Washington, DC...

I want Moscow, Dubrovnik, Granada, Pisa, Lima, Machu Picchu, Lake Titicaca (that's a dirty), The Interlachen area, Nice, Heidelberg, Ronda...
  • Reply 16 of 61
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    Flyover is great, but it does load pretty slow on an iPad 3 on good signal WiFi -- improvements are needed to make it more fluid...
  • Reply 17 of 61
    Have a look:

[VIDEO]

Admittedly, this is quick and dirty... but 3D Flyover has lots of possibilities... Interactive tour planning; movie scenes; the only way to visit Greece, nowadays...

Edit: Sorry about the video, Youtube is acting crazy on me... likely, they are trying to insert a Samsung commercial...

I am uploading to Vimeo & will repost!
  • Reply 18 of 61
    jusephe wrote: »
    Cars are erased.

Unlike Google -- who capture the license plate numbers and store them in their databases...
  • Reply 19 of 61
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

At this rate, they will add average-sized midwest cities by 2023.

wdowell View Post

Ive ditched Apple Maps.

Ive was never on that team; he is the head of industrial design.

• Reply 20 of 61
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Couldn't agree more. That said, I am sure (I hope) they are.

So far, at least for me (and given where Iive), Apple Maps directions are truly second-rate -- on more than one occasion, it has either failed to find some obvious addresses, or it has given me directions that are circuitous and non-obvious (upon subsequent checking with Google Maps and MapQuest). 

I don't use it any more because I don't trust it. Google Maps is so much better currently. I'll check back in a couple of years.

Directions and search are too separate things altogether. Directions work fine. Search is a disaster. I search for Starbucks while looking at Paris and it shows me a random Starbucks in Texas (just a random example). Just try searching for Googleplex.