Purported next-gen iPhone motherboard part may reveal tweaked camera design

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

Anyways, i hope the iPhone does get a better camera & stays out of the mega pixel war. 

Actually, the case of a camera with no optical zoom strikes me as the best application for as many pixels as possible. That way I can crop the image down to the intended subject while still retaining sufficient resolution for good detail.

• Reply 22 of 39
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    abobrek wrote: »
    The advancement of technology makes things not only more improved but smaller. I think sometime in the next 5-10 years we will see smartphone cameras being the same, if not better than the best cameras of today. Take this discovery for instance, http://www.wired.com/rawfile/2012/08/new-flat-lens-could-revolutionize-cameras-as-we-know-them/. As of right now, I indeed would like to see Apple improve the low-light performance of their cameras, it would give them a huge advantage over other smartphone cameras. I often see smartphone camera photo comparisons and they all seem to lack on low light performance. It will be interesting to see what camera system Apple implements in their next gen. devices and how they will perform in low light conditions.
    There is much potential here, consider:
    1. It may be possible to put XEON flashes in cell phones in the near future.
    2. Sensors and lenses have improved remarkably in only a few years, yet there is plenty of room for improvement.
    3. Quantum dots are being investigated for improving per pixel light capture
    4. Apple could throw the industry a curve and turn the optical system length wise in the camera. This would allow for a longer more complex lens system. However getting the consumer to hold the camera like a twin lends reflex won't be easy.
    5. There is much interest in deformable optics which could give the camera eye like focusing ability.
    These are just a few of the possibilities that can lead to improved camera operation and photographic results.
    Also, has anyone seen the rumor that the next iPhone won't be called the, "5S" it will be called, "6". Techradar reported yesterday that Vodafone had an image of, "iPhone 6" in their future inventory system. Whether that is true or not, I guess we will have to wait and see, but it would make sense due to the supposed Fall Apple lineup and the pushback of the release of Apple's product refresh. Who knows at this point.

Those are all rumors. If Apple implements finger print sensors I could see a change to a new number or even a new naming convention. I'm not all that certain much effort will be put into the camera this go around. WWDC isn't that far away, due to the need to get new tech into developer hands we might see new iPhones around that time or soon after.

In any event it is summer time don't get too hung up on iPhone.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    This is really frustrating, iPhone isn't a camera for professionals!! I see an entire thread here about how poor the iPhone is when stacked up against professional cameras which makes me really wonder about the posters.
    v5v wrote: »
    I semi-agree with the first part of that sentence and disagree with the second.

In my work I am sometimes forced to use equipment that is lower quality or less fully-featured than I would like, but most of the time I make sure that the "tools available" are of high enough quality to satisfy the requirements of the project without significant compromises. Part of my job as a professional is making sure I have the right gear for the job.
    Which is almost impossible for every task that might come your way. That is why there are companies renting equipment to professionals.

Frankly there isn't an industry out there where professionals don't run into limitations with the equipment they own. Unless of course you so narrowly focus your interests that one device covers the subject completely.

I don't see any reason not to blame the equipment when it's the reason quality or creative are compromised.
    Quality yes creativity no.
    Obviously a professional should be able to coax out the best the equipment can provide and work in a way that minimizes the effects of equipment limitations, but, equally obviously, there are limits. When the desired results are not being realized but could be with better equipment, it's perfectly reasonable to acknowledge that and examine alternatives.
    Which is fine for a professional. But honestly guys what does a discussion about professional equipment have to do with an iPhones camera?
  • Reply 24 of 39
    abobrekabobrek Posts: 31member
    I agree totally about low light, hence my earlier comments about some kind of IS capability however that is accomplished. It may be a new Apple take on the whole topic as I can't see gyroscopic lenses in the near future but with nano technology I wouldn't rule it out some time soon. Ultimately technology has to allow for slower shutter speeds when hand held and that's the best way with minimal noise.

Regarding models; My bet is they are both true rumors, 5s and 6. Apple are no doubt working on the two in parallel but it would seem to me a 5s will be incremental and 6 more dramatic some months later.

Great link by the way. The technology of lenses will change I am sure in the coming years and as you say what we consider state of the art now will be antiquated junk. The knowledge we have now as photographers will always be a help I'm sure but so much will be possible for the novice with no knowledge which these technical leaps.

BTW. Imagine that technology with nano gyros and insect compound like lenses giving RAW the ability to store multiple POVs and DOFs.

Thanks, Imagine all of that combined with some quantum dots, now that would be a device.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    Actually, the case of a camera with no optical zoom strikes me as the best application for as many pixels as possible. That way I can crop the image down to the intended subject while still retaining sufficient resolution for good detail.

I never quite understood the pixels are bad mentality. Apple isn't making a camera for nocturnal use.

However as important as cropping is to realize the final image I'm still a proponent of zoom technologies. I'm not sure if they will ever be able to realize a viable zoom camera in today's cell phone profiles but it would be a welcomed advancement.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    The next iPhone has a slightly redesigned PCB. ZOMFG! Surely this is a game-changer!
  • Reply 27 of 39
    larryalarrya Posts: 608member
    zozman wrote: »
    I'm calling bullshit on some of what you said, anyone that knows anything about photography would be turning in their graves... 

So they're all dead?
  • Reply 28 of 39

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Quality yes creativity no.

Both. Using cameras as an example, since that's the focus of the discussion, you can't get a fisheye effect or super shallow DOF without the right lenses, so creative is limited by equipment. A low-quality wireless mic will limit how far from the camera the talent can wander, limiting shot choices. I'm sure there are better examples, but you get the point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

But honestly guys what does a discussion about professional equipment have to do with an iPhones camera?

Responses to those who suggest that skill is the principle limiting factor when using low-quality gear. I use my iPhone camera all the time and am very glad to have it. I just don't agree with the notion that overcoming expertise requirements is a significant influence on those who prefer better equipment when the situation calls for it.

• Reply 29 of 39
    applepiapplepi Posts: 365member

The HTC One has a f2.0 lens with optical image stabilization and larger pixels. 2?m compared to the iphones 1.4?m. Even though it is only 4 megapixels.

I think Apple needs to at least match the OIS and aperture of the HTC One. I think they should also stick with an 8MP sensor and not go any higher. The quality is already pretty decent for a smart phone and with 4K video coming into the fold in the next couple years, an 8MP sensor will be useful for that. Although it will probably need to be a new sensor that can handle that kind of video output. I do hope we see 4K recording sooner rather than later. Depends on when Apple can get hardware H.265 encoding/decoding chips in iOS devices.

Plus I don't think most people would see dropping back to 4MP as a good marketing move even though HTC is doing ok with it.   

• Reply 30 of 39
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,834member
    Rumors start shooting again
  • Reply 31 of 39
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    No, you are talking about composition of a photo, someone with an iPhone without a doubt could do a better job then someone with a DSLR, however, the iPhone has a lower ceiling when it comes to good quality shots, a DSLR in the right hands can do things that an iPhone simply cant do, this is a fact.
    You are getting composition & quality mixed up, how the shot looks, the style, the art to it, VS how accurate, crisp detail, bokeh. 

Actually I didn't get things mixed up, I was trying to make a point that quality is in the eye of the beholder, a smartphone camera can yield to a better picture than a SLR because of, yep, composition, amongst other techniques. But that is because of two different people taking pictures with different equipment. A person without photography expertise and experience will probably take better pictures with a SLR than with an iPhone. So yes, you're right that a SLR can do things a smartphone camera cannot.
    I agree with the best camera is the one you have on you, a great photographer can get great results from an iPhone, however, they can get much better shots with actual photography gear, that's why there is an industry for it. 

Ah, Chase Jarvis, IIRC. And I agree with him. A bit like the things Ken Rockwell writes, though he's way more controversial than Jarvis.
  • Reply 32 of 39
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Taking good pictures is a matter of the operator of the device. I've taken good pictures with my iPhone and blown pictures with my Nikon or RZ. The biggest problem with the iPhone isn't the sensor but rather the lack of control. If you can work within what the iPhone does automatically you can get good results.

Agree; I am able to take really great photo's with my iPhone, but would love for the iPhone to:

1. have an option to change aperture
    2. have an option to change shutter speed
    3. have a timer
    4. have a remote control (app for 2nd iPhone/iPad/iPhone touch or even a dedicated (WiFi/BT/voice [Siri?] enabled) device
    5. have the flash be moved further apart from the lens, in order to avoid red eye
    6. have the option to change WB, ISO, exposure et cetera
  • Reply 33 of 39
    philboogie wrote: »
    [...] Professionals use whatever tool available to get the job done, and not blame their equipment.

I semi-agree with the first part of that sentence and disagree with the second.

In my work I am sometimes forced to use equipment that is lower quality or less fully-featured than I would like, but most of the time I make sure that the "tools available" are of high enough quality to satisfy the requirements of the project without significant compromises. Part of my job as a professional is making sure I have the right gear for the job.

I don't see any reason not to blame the equipment when it's the reason quality or creative are compromised. Obviously a professional should be able to coax out the best the equipment can provide and work in a way that minimizes the effects of equipment limitations, but, equally obviously, there are limits. When the desired results are not being realized but could be with better equipment, it's perfectly reasonable to acknowledge that and examine alternatives.

Good points, good post. So yes, I agree. And if it's a persons' profession than indeed, try using the best tool for the job.

I agree with another poster here who writes that we're comparing a smartphone camera to a dedicated (D)SLR, a mistake I made earlier as well.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    Anyways, i hope the iPhone does get a better camera

True, but instead of wanting to zoom in I just walk up closer (maybe I should end that sentence with a ¡ because I understand what you're saying) Anyhoo, the composition changes when changing the distance to the subject, so for an iPhone more pixels or a larger sensor would be great. Though there will be people complaining about the large (megabytes) pictures will become. An optional setting for that would be feasible.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    larrya wrote: »
    I'm calling bullshit on some of what you said, anyone that knows anything about photography would be turning in their graves... 

So they're all dead?

-1. Unless you were being ¡, in which case I was expecting a ¡

edit: sorry for all the single posts; I just have a difficult time doing multiple replies in a single post because I lose the overview when typing my replies.
  • Reply 36 of 39

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

6. have the option to change WB, ISO, exposure et cetera

Despite the iPhone capturing video that looks better than it has any right to, I just can't stand using it because of the constantly shifting white balance. I would much rather deal with the consequences of a setting that's not ideal for every angle than put up with the abrupt, annoying color shifts every time the lighting changes a little. It's maddening. I'm not asking for presets or threshold adjustments -- I'm fully aware of how amazing it is to have HD video capability in a phone AT ALL -- I just wanna be able to LOCK IT so it doesn't keep readjusting on the fly.

• Reply 37 of 39
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Your logic makes no sense really, it is like saying a pickup is useless because it can't haul several tons of rocks like a Mac truck.

The only person that is mixed up is you.

Huh?, I don think im the 'only' person mixed up here :p

& i think you missed my point, i use my iPhones camera, all the time, its always with me, however, when i go out to take photos (I do regularly) i take my DSLR & tripod with me.

I'm not telling everyone to get a DSLR, for most people, the iPhones camera will be just fine, happy snaps & for the people that have the skill, some good pics can be taken, I shouldnt have to say this, who would tell a photographer to swap his DSLR for an iPhone?.

Quote:

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

For sure, sounds good, the problem is, if you up the mega pixels without upgrading the sensor (Mega pixels do not equate to quality, just scale) then the picture will have more noise & colours will smudge, so if you try to zoom in, it doent look so good.

so if they up the sensor, the lens & then up the megapixels, it would do a better job at zooming, thats what the nokia camera phone thing is doing (41mp)

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryA View Post

So they're all dead?

Hahaha, no, just my sense or humour, making things sound really dramatic is funny to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I was trying to make a point that quality is in the eye of the beholder

Why do people keep making stuff up & passing it on as something that could be true?, quality isn't as subjective as you think, its the standard that things could be based (in photography) art is subjective, the eye of the beholder.....colours aren't, they are either accurate or they aren't, the clarity of the photo isnt in the eye of the beholder, its either sharp or out of focus, catch my drift?.

I checked this, just because i was curious about what i wrote here.

Qual·i·ty

Noun

1. The standard of something as measured against other things of a similar kind; the degree of excellence of something: "quality of life".

2. General excellence of standard or level: "quality beers".

Art

Noun

1. The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture,...: "the art of the Renaissance"

2. Works produced by such skill and imagination.

Just for fun

clar·i·ty

Noun

1. The quality of being clear, in particular.

2. The quality of coherence and intelligibility.

Not trying to be a dick here, I just think too many people are miss informed, if it isnt in your field of interest, i get why people don't know too much about it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Ah, Chase Jarvis, IIRC. And I agree with him. A bit like the things Ken Rockwell writes, though he's way more controversial than Jarvis.

Yeah for sure, Not sure how if or how people could dissagree with what Chase says.

Seems like a real cool guy too, watch the camera challenge he did with Kai, its pretty rad.

Ken Rockwell, has some good points.

Quote:

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Despite the iPhone capturing video that looks better than it has any right to, I just can't stand using it because of the constantly shifting white balance. I would much rather deal with the consequences of a setting that's not ideal for every angle than put up with the abrupt, annoying color shifts every time the lighting changes a little. It's maddening. I'm not asking for presets or threshold adjustments -- I'm fully aware of how amazing it is to have HD video capability in a phone AT ALL -- I just wanna be able to LOCK IT so it doesn't keep readjusting on the fly.

Using the standard iPhone camera app, If you touch the screen & hold on it for a few seconds (on the area you want to lock the auto focus, exposure), it should be able to lock that for you, give it a shot, It works in pics, not sure about video?.

• Reply 38 of 39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

For sure, sounds good, the problem is, if you up the mega pixels without upgrading the sensor (Mega pixels do not equate to quality, just scale) then the picture will have more noise & colours will smudge, so if you try to zoom in, it doent look so good.

I didn't know that. Thanks! Of course, having that information isn't going to make a lick of difference to the quality of my photos, because I'm just going to continue using whatever happens to be built in to my phone, good or bad, because it's handy! If Apple includes a bad camera, I'll get bad camera artifacts. If Apple includes a gooder camera, I'll defeat the benefit with incompetence and laziness!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

Using the standard iPhone camera app, If you touch the screen & hold on it for a few seconds (on the area you want to lock the auto focus, exposure), it should be able to lock that for you, give it a shot, It works in pics, not sure about video?.

Woah, dude, you're like an iPhone camera Ninja! I had no idea I could "hold" rather than just "touch!" Kewl.

On my old iPhone 4 a message appears on the screen that says "AE/AF Lock" but no mention of WB. It may be that it's locked too and just not explicitly stated. I'll have to try it out near a window or somewhere the color temperature of the light will change as I move around. Thanks!

• Reply 39 of 39
    larrya wrote: »
    So they're all dead?
    Hahaha, no, just my sense or humour, making things sound really dramatic is funny to me.

LOL
    I was trying to make a point that quality is in the eye of the beholder

Why do people keep making stuff up & passing it on as something that could be true?, quality isn't as subjective as you think, its the standard that things could be based (in photography) art is subjective, the eye of the beholder.....colours aren't, they are either accurate or they aren't, the clarity of the photo isnt in the eye of the beholder, its either sharp or out of focus, catch my drift?.

You put it down way better than can. I'll just say: 'props to you' and I'll do a lame thing and say English is not my native language.
    Yeah for sure, Not sure how if or how people could dissagree with what Chase says.
    Seems like a real cool guy too, watch the camera challenge he did with Kai, its pretty rad.

Ken Rockwell, has some good points.

Thanks for this; just watched a funny vid of him using a LEGO camera

Like Agent Cooper used to say: "ACES"