New Nexus 7 to be highlight of Google I/O as 'iPad mini 2' faces delay, analyst says

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Noted analyst Ming-Chi Kuo believes Google will unveil a next-generation Nexus 7 tablet in partnership with Asus at the search giant's upcoming Google I/O conference, looking to steal some of Apple's thunder as a next-generation iPad mini is rumored to be delayed.

Nexus 7
Source: KGI Securities

In the research note obtained by AppleInsider, Kuo notes the new Nexus 7 will feature upgraded specs, such as a high-resolution screen, better cameras and wireless charging, but will maintain an entry-level price of $199. Apple is also rumored to be launching an updated iPad mini sometime in the third quarter, but that timeline is in question as recent reports have said production of the small form factor tablet hit a snag.

Google is likely to lose $5 to $10 per unit sold with the aggressive pricing, suggesting profits will come from media purchases and ad revenue. Kuo sees the distribution model being the same as 2012's version, with Google selling the Nexus 7 through its website, while Asustek and other retail outlets take care of higher-end iterations with more storage.

As for major changes from the current Nexus 7, Kuo sees a switch to Qualcomm's Snapdragon S4 Pro processor, a 7-inch LTPS panel carrying a 1,980-by-1,200 pixel resolution, a 5-megapixel rear facing camera and the inclusion of Texas Instruments' Qi wireless charging.

On the design side, the upcoming tablet is believed to have a narrow bezel reminiscent of the iPad mini.

Regarding the tablet's operating system, the analyst believes Google will stick with Android 4.x Jelly Bean, offering tablet-centric enhancements and new functions. Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie is not expected to be a focus.

Despite the update internals and unchanged price point, Kuo only expects limited year-on-year shipment growth.

Finally, Kuo estimates that Google will launch an Android Book laptop, Google "over-the-top" (OTT) TV box and a smartwatch to compete with the likes of Apple, Microsoft and Amazon. These products aren't expected to make it to Google I/O, as the company is said to be in planning stages and is not yet close to manufacturing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

In what way is he "noted"?

Evidence?

• Reply 2 of 32
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1) I'm glad to see an expectation of a 1920x1200 (323 PPI) display at $199. This plus Acer coming out with a 7.85" 4:3 tablet for $169 leans toward Apple being able to produce a Retina iPad mini this year for $329 as increasingly likely.

2) I'm not sure how LTPS compares to IPS but displays on Asus devices per AnandTech usually fare very well in color quality, brightness, and power management. To me, that's a good sign for Google.

3) Facing delays are never a good sign, but without any word on this actually existing with a ship date, specs and price it's foolhardy to jump on this as being delayed just as the trolls here like to jump on Apple for rumours of delays.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Delays? I like when people predict delays to un-announced products. Who expected it to be coming in the third quarter? Why did they expect that? Why say anything at all if you can't address even the most basic points?
  • Reply 4 of 32
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Delays? I like when people predict delays to un-announced products. Who expected it to be coming in the third quarter? Why did they expect that? Why say anything at all if you can't address even the most basic points?

The engineers at Apple, you are silly to think that they don't plan on a deadline. A delay is when you need to push your launch date farther into the future. It is possible that the iPad Mini 2 will be launch later than originally planned. 

That said, I don't know if I really believe anyone has any idea what Apple is truly up to.

I hope they bring a stylus (similar to the S pen) to the large iPad. I am ready to replace the binder.

• Reply 5 of 32
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

...because the analyst is basing their report largely on what happened last year, relying on people's short attention spans, in order to present it as something new.

• Reply 6 of 32
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    seankill wrote: »
    The engineers at Apple, you are silly to think that they don't plan on a deadline. A delay is when you need to push your launch date farther into the future. It is possible that the iPad Mini 2 will be launch later than originally planned. 

That said, I don't know if I really believe anyone has any idea what Apple is truly up to.

I hope they bring a stylus (similar to the S pen) to the large iPad. I am ready to replace the binder.

That's just the thing. This information is unverifiable, so the people that claim to be analysts can say anything they want. They really aren't accountable to the facts they disseminate. There is one competing site that keeps track of claims vs. whether they come true, and I don't think that section of their site is widely read.

I don't expect a new iPad mini until Sept-Oct, maybe early November. There's no reason to believe it was ever going to come sooner. If it does come sooner, great.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    maclancermaclancer Posts: 49member
    Can't wait for the next generation Nexus 7
  • Reply 8 of 32
    One new tablet offering a fairly innovative feature on the Android platform is the Novo 8 Discovery tablet from Ainol Electronics - which previously won a "Best Tablet of the Year" Award at CES 2012 for the first in the Novo series %u2013- the Novo 8 Discovery is one of the first tablets on the market to work with Miracast HD Wireless technology, similar to Apple's $150 AirPlay system... and with a Miracast adapter which costs only $35, provides wireless connection to any HDTV - ideal for streaming movies (Netflix), to play video games, and display any other tablet media content. The model features a Quad Core processor with 2GB DDR3, 16GB Memory, a 7.85" screen (mini iPad size), and offers bluetooth, HDMI, a 4000 mAh battery, MicroSD storage, the latest Android 4.2.2 O/S, and Google Play store preinstalled. The device is clearly aimed to compete with the Nexus 7... one of the first web sites it's available through is called TabletSprint -- and is priced at $159
  • Reply 9 of 32
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member

Well of course Google can beat Apple to the market by releasing their high-res Nexus 7 several months before the retina iPad mini.

How many devices Google will have ready to ship? My guess is that they'll have only a few hundreds thousands at most.

And they won't care if the yields are so low that they don't make any profits or even lose money, because the Nexus line is all about rising the Android mindshare and getting people to use their services and see their ads.

When Apple will launch the retina iPad mini they will have millions of them ready to be sold. They'll probably sell much more new iPad minis on the first week-end than Google will be able to sell between their announcement and Apple's.

• Reply 10 of 32
    Always saying delay to sth you think will release earlier than expected is bullshit .
  • Reply 11 of 32
    One new tablet offering a fairly innovative feature on the Android platform is the Novo 8 Discovery tablet from Ainol Electronics - which previously won a "Best Tablet of the Year" Award at CES 2012 for the first in the Novo series %u2013- the Novo 8 Discovery is one of the first tablets on the market to work with Miracast HD Wireless technology, similar to Apple's $150 AirPlay system... and with a Miracast adapter which costs only $35, provides wireless connection to any HDTV - ideal for streaming movies (Netflix), to play video games, and display any other tablet media content. The model features a Quad Core processor with 2GB DDR3, 16GB Memory, a 7.85" screen (mini iPad size), and offers Bluetooth, HDMI, a 4000 mAh battery, MicroSD storage, the latest Android 4.2.2 O/S, and Google Play store pre-installed. The device is clearly aimed to compete with the Nexus 7... one of the first web sites it's available through is TabletSprint -- and is priced at $159
  • Reply 12 of 32
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I forget, when did Apple announce a shipping date? Oh they didn't.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    vl-tone wrote: »
    Well of course Google can beat Apple to the market by releasing their high-res Nexus 7 several months before the retina iPad mini.

I expected the nexus would be shipped by now. Google is facing delays.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    bryanlbryanl Posts: 67member

S4 Pro? That doesn't sound correct. I'd assume it would be a Qualcomm 600 chip by now.

Edit, I almost definitely have no idea what I'm talking about.

• Reply 15 of 32
    bryanlbryanl Posts: 67member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I expected the nexus would be shipped by now. Google is facing delays.

The Nexus 7 was announced at Google IO 2012 which was held at the end of June. The Nexus 7 isn't quite 11 months old yet. In reality we have no idea when a company will ship something, but judging by Google's past revelations at their developer conference, I'm sure there will be something new next week.

• Reply 16 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by bryanl View Post

The Nexus 7 was announced at Google IO 2012 which was held at the end of June. The Nexus 7 isn't quite 11 months old yet. In reality we have no idea when a company will ship something, but judging by Google's past revelations at their developer conference, I'm sure there will be something new next week.

I'm not sure you understood the point he was trying to make (using sarcasm).

• Reply 17 of 32
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Losing $5 to $10 per unit on a brand new product? That's product dumping to gain market share.  What a sleezy business practice.  When will Google stop at their predatory practices?  Glad I don't buy Google products.

• Reply 18 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Losing $5 to $10 per unit on a brand new product? That's product dumping to gain market share.  What a sleezy business practice.  When will Google stop at their predatory practices?  Glad I don't buy Google products.

The sad thing is that some people believe or want us to believe that Google is actually doing this for the good of mankind.

• Reply 19 of 32
    onibionibi Posts: 1member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Predatory yes.  But i think its still legal (and effective) in some industries.

Though my heart goes out to the Android tablet OEMs out there and their profit margin.   

@VL-Tone: I think people in general don't really care.  And google will do what any company would as well, turn a profit.  Tis unfortunate that it may lead to the demise of others. :\

• Reply 20 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onibi View Post

Predatory yes.  But i think its still legal (and effective) in some industries.

Though my heart goes out to the Android tablet OEMs out there and their profit margin.   

Don't worry Android tablet OEMs will keep their profit margins. They'll just use cheaper more fragile parts, cut on workers salaries and worsen their working conditions.