Google Reader client app Reeder updated as standalone RSS reader with Feedbin support

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Popular RSS aggregation and reading app Reeder received an update on Monday, offering users the ability use it as a standalone reader, while building in support for third-party syncing service Feedbin.

Reeder

With the scheduled July 1 demise of Google Reader .quickly approaching, iOS apps based on the service are scrambling to find workarounds for existing users who rely on RSS feeds to stay up to date with news.

One of the more high-profile titles is Reeder, a full-featured RSS tool that previously leveraged Google Reader on the backend. In response to Google's decision to axe its RSS syncing platform, developer Silvio Rizzi today released Reeder version 3.1 as part of an ongoing effort to break reliance on the soon to be defunct Google service.

With the update, Reeder can now function as a standalone RSS reader after importing a feed list into the app. Syncing of feeds across devices has yet to be implemented as a native app feature, though Monday's version adds support for Feedbin, a type of Google Reader replacement service that costs $2 per month.

According to the Reeder website, Feedbin support will be extended to the iPad and OS X versions of the app "in the coming months." Until then, Reeder for iPad and Reeder for Mac are now free to download.

Another new feature is pull-to-refresh which, much like Apple's own Mail app, allows users to quickly check for updates with a simple pull-down gesture. Other RSS readers have had this functionality for some time, and the addition is a welcome one for existing users.

Reeder is available now for $2.99 from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    As I was using Reeder anyway, I've just signed up for feedbin. Seems to work well between the web and iPhone, though the iPad app doesn't yet support fb.

Interesting note - I had some problems logging in - turned out the email used as user ID is case sensitive. Sent twitter message to @feedbinapp and got a very quick response and my problem was solved by email. Always good to have responsive support behind this sort of service.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member

For $2 a month per subscriber, you'd think they could afford the feedbin.com domain.

And therein lies the rub...

The problem is that a robust replacement for Google Reader is needed, and so far nobody is really stepping up to the plate.  There are a bunch of mickey-mouse players trying to grab some of the scraps instead of a large enough player with significant infrastructure to provide a whole solution to what was lost. Google really screwed a lot of people by destroying all competition in this area and then dumping Reader.

• Reply 3 of 13
    I'm using a feed reader http://www.aggregga.com/ and I'm really enjoying it, it is 100% social network.

Much better than GReader and others where I auditioned because I can track readings and favorite of my friends, and the best I can share any post to a friend with just one click.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Hi Guys,

If what you want is the ability to skim large #s of headlines, organize lots of feeds, label them, tag articles for later reading in one fast unobtrusive "no magazine layout" reader, SwarmIQ is your choice.
    Sign up at http://www.swarmiq.com/register/GOOGLEREADERISDEAD , click on the Google reader icon to get all your feeds, and get up and running straight away.
    Disclosure: I'm on the team that built this site :-) Also, we don't have "Google Alerts" type functionality yet.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    carlosheq wrote: »
    I'm using a feed reader and I'm really enjoying it, it is 100% social network.

Much better than GReader and others where I auditioned because I can track readings and favorite of my friends, and the best I can share any post to a friend with just one click.

We're know your involved with this website.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macslut View Post

For $2 a month per subscriber, you'd think they could afford the feedbin.com domain.

And therein lies the rub...

The problem is that a robust replacement for Google Reader is needed, and so far nobody is really stepping up to the plate.  There are a bunch of mickey-mouse players trying to grab some of the scraps instead of a large enough player with significant infrastructure to provide a whole solution to what was lost.

What part of the Google Reader "whole solution" is absent in Feedbin and that you consider to be necessary?  What evidence do you have that their infrastructure isn't "robust" or "significant" enough?  Why does the replacement need to be a "large player"?

• Reply 7 of 13
    Hi Guys,

If what you want is the ability to skim large #s of headlines, organize lots of feeds, label them, tag articles for later reading in one fast unobtrusive "no magazine layout" reader, SwarmIQ is your choice.
    Sign up at http://www.swarmiq.com/register/GOOGLEREADERISDEAD , click on the Google reader icon to get all your feeds, and get up and running straight away.
    Disclosure: I'm on the team that built this site :-) Also, we don't have "Google Alerts" type functionality yet.

Only spammers say "hi guys" in their first post follow by a service link. Thanks, but no thanks.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    crowley wrote: »
    What part of the Google Reader "whole solution" is absent in Feedbin and that you consider to be necessary?  What evidence do you have that their infrastructure isn't "robust" or "significant" enough?  Why does the replacement need to be a "large player"?

Any free solutions?
  • Reply 9 of 13
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Why should it be free?  Google Reader is closing because free doesn't work.

• Reply 10 of 13
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

How hard can it be for a Mac/iOS app to pull industry standard RSS feeds and sync them via iClou-- ah haha ha. Damn. Oh well.

But seriously, I am waiting for NetNewsWire to get standalone sync.

• Reply 11 of 13
    Hi Guys,

• Reply 12 of 13
    rachelourachelou Posts: 2member

Well, I'm using eldonreader as a safari app and I'm pretty happy. But Crowley is probably right. Free stuffs might not be the best model. it'd have been hard for them to shut down google reader if people were already paying for the service.

• Reply 13 of 13
    rachelourachelou Posts: 2member

Well, I'm using eldonreader as a safari app and I'm pretty happy. But Crowley is probably right. Free stuffs might not be the best model. it'd have been hard for them to shut down google reader if people were already paying for the service.