Microsoft wants iTunes for Windows 8; Apple not interested

Comments

• Reply 101 of 132
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    mstone wrote: »
    I was in the audience at the Mac World keynote when Steve announced that. You would not believe the reaction. He was almost booed off the stage. I thought that was prior to OS X though, not sure.

I recall it was in Mac OS 9 also. But back then, Apple didn't produce its own browser. The other option was Netscape 4.
  • Reply 102 of 132

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

iTunes is a revenue stream for Apple.  They're crazy not to put it there  I could easily see Amazon throwing something together to throw on Metro to sell music and movies if the opening is there.

At present it's not a revenue stream due to the poor-assed sales of Surfaces. More like an IV drip on a cadaver. 

Even if the Surface should some day show some life, these tablet users represent the die-hard anti-apple crowd or they'd have bought an iPad. Let 'em eat cake.

• Reply 103 of 132
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Correct, and today, evidently, Microsoft has nothing that Apple wants or needs....

They still need ActiveSync for Exchange Server and apparently Azure as well, although the latter is more of a choice rather than a need. But you are right, Microsoft needs Apple more than Apple needs Microsoft.

• Reply 104 of 132
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

When Apple adds features to OS X, such as iCloud or Retina, we expect MS to upgrade Office. I think Windows customers probably would like iTunes to use their OS's new GUI style.

• Reply 105 of 132
    arthur123arthur123 Posts: 44member

Your nuts if you think iWorks in anywhere in the same league as MS Office.

Just about every business in America uses those applications.

I love Apple but either your an unemployed person who never worked in the business world or your just plain silly to even suggest iWorks is in the same league as Office. Even Open Office is supperior to Works.

• Reply 106 of 132
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

At present it's not a revenue stream due to the poor-assed sales of Surfaces. More like an IV drip on a cadaver. 

Even if the Surface should some day show some life, these tablet users represent the die-hard anti-apple crowd or they'd have bought an iPad. Let 'em eat cake.

You do know that Windows 8 is being sold on devices other then Surface. Why are people the anti-Apple crowd who purchase a Windows 8 Tablet, some just want to use full featured desktop apps on their tablets. 

• Reply 107 of 132
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ascii wrote: »
    When Apple adds features to OS X, such as iCloud or Retina, we expect MS to upgrade Office. I think Windows customers probably would like iTunes to use their OS's new GUI style.

Sure, there is a common expectation but both Abode and MS, for example, have dropped the ball on support Mac OS when the number of users were quite low. Not that it makes it right (or wrong that they didn't see the value in supporting so few users), and I'm certainly not implying Apple is doing anything out of spite, but in comparison to Mac's marketshare over the years I think that Windows for ARM marketshare (the only version of Windows that can't use iTunes for Windows at all) is still very much non-existant*. And all that's before we factor in the required delivery method for getting Windows desktop apps on a machine with an ARM CPU.

* Are there any stats that show Windows for ARM having any marketshare at this point?
  • Reply 108 of 132
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    arthur123 wrote: »

I love Apple but either your an unemployed person who never worked in the business world or your just plain silly to even suggest iWorks is in the same league as Office. Even Open Office is supperior to Works.

How do you keep a job that requires the use of office software, while writing so terribly?

I don't think you've used iWorks if you're rating OO.o as "supperior" (sic) to iWorks.
  • Reply 109 of 132
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Arthur123 View Post

Maybe, but iWork is leagues better than Office.

And iWork is compatible with just about every document used by those businesses.

I love Apple but either your an unemployed person who never worked in the business world or your just plain silly to even suggest iWorks is in the same league as Office.

You sound either unemployed or just plain stupid to suggest that Office is better than iWork.

Even Open Office is supperior to Works.

You've used neither software. That much is clear.

• Reply 110 of 132
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    Well apple is not doing what Microsoft wants however I figure the iTunes for IOS could probably work if it was availible yet apple does not port it's apps (anymore) as for Microsoft & google do. This still is not true on desktop windows 8 with you can download iTunes & a old safari. But this does point out that Microsoft admits they can't sale music well & if apple did this apple would likely gain $. But we'll the App Store for all devices would be next.
  • Reply 111 of 132
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member

I think it would be hard for Apple to produce iTunes for Win8 without making Win8 seem better than ios. If it was full featured the a Win8 tablet would sync with an iPhone and an iPad, but an iPad still couldn't sync with an iPhone. It makes it seem like ios isn't a full ox.

• Reply 112 of 132
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

I f'king hate,

Windows 8.

I can't stand dealing with it, neither can my wife who bought this copy of an Air ultra thing which refused to boot one day.

The reason after waa-aay too much troubleshooting was some stupid trial software that locked it up.

"It wasn't used for 65 days so we assumed it was stolen."

Went the third call centre rep after Microsoft and the manufacturer played pass around, should have called Intel too they are the one's who promote these things.

• Reply 113 of 132

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthur123 View Post

Hey you can type stuff and save it in word format, that's all 99% of people need, the words without the bullshit trimmings.

• Reply 114 of 132

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Maybe, but iWork is leagues better than Office.

And iWork is compatible with just about every document used by those businesses.

You sound either unemployed or just plain stupid to suggest that Office is better than iWork.

You've used neither software. That much is clear.

Open Office is superior to those free "readers" that Microsoft provides for people who don't have Office, especially for Excel spreadsheets.

• Reply 115 of 132

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Look I like iWork like the next person, it's easy and my documents look amazing but it's not even in the same league as Office, database functionality and scripting alone make it an ideal platform for business's. I don't know can you connect Oracle directly to Numbers or Pages, you might be able to rig it using Applescript but that would be a pain. Talking about scripting did you know PHP, Perl, Python and Ruby all have functions to directly communicate with Office. Sorry Skil, I like your Apple is mightier then all attitude but iWork is a consumer product, a small business tool sure, enterprise no way.

• Reply 116 of 132

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Open Office is superior to those free "readers" that Microsoft provides for people who don't have Office, especially for Excel spreadsheets.

Open Office is pretty helpful in a Unix/Linux environment, I use it to parse and calculate stock exchange data from Eurex and Euronex. I could easily do it in Perl or Python but then I wouldn't get the pretty GUI.

• Reply 117 of 132
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Sure, there is a common expectation but both Abode and MS, for example, have dropped the ball on support Mac OS when the number of users were quite low. Not that it makes it right (or wrong that they didn't see the value in supporting so few users), and I'm certainly not implying Apple is doing anything out of spite, but in comparison to Mac's marketshare over the years I think that Windows for ARM marketshare (the only version of Windows that can't use iTunes for Windows at all) is still very much non-existant*. And all that's before we factor in the required delivery method for getting Windows desktop apps on a machine with an ARM CPU.

Yes, I suspect Windows for ARM will be dropped at some point, much like Windows NT for PowerPC was. I wouldn't expect Apple to do a version of iTunes for that platform just yet.

• Reply 118 of 132
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    hill60 wrote: »
    The reason after waa-aay too much troubleshooting was some stupid trial software that locked it up.

So it was the software that caused the issue, not Windows. The same thing can happen (and does) in OS X, do you blame Apple in the same circumstances?
  • Reply 119 of 132
    ijoynerijoyner Posts: 135member

Don't you hate the abuse of good adjectives like 'modern'. Metro is different from last year's offering and has more garish, tasteless colours than even the intrusive blue window header of XP or blurry transparent header of 7 showing off their ability to do transparency.

Was having coffee with my neighbour today and his wife called out for help on the computer trying to print an email. He disappears and returns 10 minutes later - "ugh the whole thing will have to be restored again and that's the third time it's happened since we got the new computer with Windows 8". 'Modern' systems don't do that kind of thing.

• Reply 120 of 132

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

A 10" display to run the Adobe Suite is an excellent solution¡ And with that 64GB on-board NAND with only 23GiB available to users out of the box sure has plenty of room to install the Adobe Suite of apps with plenty of room for storing all those professional files¡ I'm completely flabbergasted as to why the Surface Pro and netbooks aren't the ideal machines for graphics and video professionals¡

I was commenting on using the iPad for content creation than say a Windows 8 Tablet that can run full featured apps. Yes, 10" is actually enough, Wacom sells a 10" tablet monitor the DTU-1031 for $750 and that's still very useful. Your right 23GB isn't a lot, well actually it's about 34GB when you move the recovery partition to a USB stick, delete it and then reinstall the OS. There is also a SD card slot which I use with SkyDrive, when data is saved on the SD drive everything is mirrored to the Cloud automatically. Since the SD/SkyDrive is mapped through the C: drive the tablet has 92GB of usable space.

I personally think the Surface Pro is useless do to the battery life being only 4 hours, I only mention the Surface because the original poster did and it seems to be the go to tablet people think about when discussing a WIndows 8 tablet. There are many other manufactures out there making these things and they are better at it like; Asus, Lenovo, Samsung, Acer and Dell. Some of the convertibles are pretty good machines as well, i7 processors, 1080P resolution, 256GB drives, 10 point multitouch, Wacom drivers, the lot.

Look I use my iPad for media consumption and for Music recording and it's great for that but when I'm doing work I turn to my Macbook Pro and my Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2. I only chimed in because people seem to think a iPad can do everything a Windows 8 (none RT) tablet can do and that just isn't the case.