Survey finds 19% of consumers interested in buying Apple 'iWatch'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    kevtkevt Posts: 195member
    Not interested. I'm not into this search for the next device type - watch, glasses, whatever.

What I liked about my first iPhone was that I could do with 1 device what I'd previously used 3 for - palm pda, phone, iPod. I don't want another thing, just further refinement of what I do use.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Marvin wrote: »

How many people would pay over $100 for a digital watch?

Plenty. G-Shocks are very popular and most cost well over $100.

G-Shock doesn't have a single model, which Apple would and there are some sales figures here:

http://world.casio.com/file/corporate/pdf/report_2012/P23-P24_en.pdf

50 million G-Shocks sold between 1983-2009. That's 50 million in 26 years. Watch brands seem to be selling little more than a few million per year - mostly in Asia and primarily Swiss watches:

http://www.economist.com/news/business/21571943-industry-ripe-shake-up-time-money

You can see the average 2011 unit prices and volumes in the graph. Apple's watches would be made in China. Why would the Chinese buy a watch made in China and designed by an American company when they can buy a quality Swiss timepiece for the same amount?

The difference between an item like a watch and a phone is that it's less about the function than the design. I consider phones to be a bit like jewellery (more than an iPad) and I think that contributes to some people's disappointment in the iPhone's lack of design change but they are at least highly functional.

A watch is just there to tell the time and to look nice on your wrist. That's not Apple's design method - they design hardware to disappear and allow you to focus on the software. The watch can't have highly functional software so the Apple design team has to imprint their personal design into the watch and use that as the selling point. That would require a degree of variety of designs and shapes to get a high volume.

Swiss exports are around 30 million per year and take pretty much all of the high value watch sales. I think the notion of Apple selling 50 million digital watches per year made in China at $200-300 is a fantasy. 5 million at $200 maybe and that makes them $1b per year, net profit say $250m, which is ~$60m per quarter vs $13b they already make. No point really. They'd be better off making a TV.
    flaneur wrote:
    That would actually work better if they're planning to put a video camera in their new iDevice.

An iBelt with a camera could lead to an increase in live streaming though, especially during bathroom breaks.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    kevt wrote: »
    Not interested. I'm not into this search for the next device type - watch, glasses, whatever.

What I liked about my first iPhone was that I could do with 1 device what I'd previously used 3 for - palm pda, phone, iPod. I don't want another thing, just further refinement of what I do use.

I don't think it would be. I think it would be like the Apple TV, accessory device. The Apple TV is basically a steaming iPod for your TV that connects to your iTunes Library (among other things). I would think wearable computers would likely enhance what you have on your iPhone. Be able to check simple data and use simple controls without pulling your iPhone out of your pocket. This might be helpful for markets where street theft is rampant*.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

I keep finding I do not like things on my wrist. Fuelband, Nike Sportwatch, wrist bands. I do not like them. I know I'm not alone on this. 19%, to me, is a low number. Granted, it's without knowing what it truly does. But it doesn't sound like enough to warrant anything revolutionary. Maybe another hobby item like the Apple TV?

Ditto that. Wrist stuff makes me feel chained. I got rid of my last watch the day I got my first mobile phone sometime in the 90's. I'm not in those 19%.

On a side note though, a friend of mine is running an online wrist watch store. And it's going extremely well. So the demand for wrist watches is surprisingly high.

• Reply 25 of 42
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

These surveys are fucking useless. As if people know if they would buy something before it's even revealed what it is. I bet a very small percentage of households would have said they would buy an iPad before it was shown off. It's all in the execution. 

• Reply 26 of 42
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

What Apple really needs is an iBelt to smack some sense into these analysts.

Analysts are likely under pressure to make comments and speculation so as to maintain an audience, but that comment still made me laugh. I am quoting it as a sig.

• Reply 27 of 42
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

iWatch is a mistake, loss of focus, and will surely flop spectacularly.

Yes, "surely". If people like you were running Apple, they would have been driven into the ground ages ago. If done properly, it's simply an enchacement of their current services and offers increased useability for everyday use, not a "loss of focus". A washing machine would be a loss of focus, not a wearable computer. 

It's one thing to state it's not your cup of tea. It's quite another to arrogantly state as fact that the product will "flop spectacularly". I mean, come on. If I had a dollar for everytime someone said that about a completely new Apple product.. I'd have a shitload of dollars. I'm always blown away how the same people always demanding Apple to "innovate" are the same people who mock and deride anything new, with a completely closed mind. Maybe you don't see a benefit in not  being forced to take your phone out of your pocket a million times a day, then unlocking it, everytime there's a notification- but for many people, including myself, we do. It doesn't take a huge leap of the imagination to realize how useful a glanceable, hands-free device would be for so many people in so many situations. 

• Reply 28 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

iWatch is a mistake, loss of focus, and will surely flop spectacularly.

You really should at least acknowledge that these are rumors and speculations, not product roadmaps.

• Reply 29 of 42
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

New data from ChangeWave research published on Friday revealed that one in five consumers exhibit a willingness to buy anything Apple makes, whether or not they have any idea what it is or what it does.

"Sure, yeah, I'd buy one." confirmed 26-year-old Moe Ron. When asked what he'd do with it, the unemployed software interface designer replied, "I dunno... what does it do?"

33-year-old freelance fashion consultant Rave Sunshine immediately saw the benefit of whatever it was the surveyor asked about, though admitted she wasn't really listening but said yes for the attention. "It doesn't really matter what it does," she noted, "it will make it easier to do because I always have a half-fat no-foam Grande soy latte in one hand and my Bejewelled iPhone in the other and I never know which hand is best for holding Amnesty's leash! Having all that capability on my wrist will allow me to do it more easily, whatever it is!"

When asked if he often buys products with no understanding of what they do, 42-year-old graphic designer Zip Pehrhed expressed a steadfast belief in the individualism and unique personal statement made by owning the same tech gadgets all the cool people use. "It's all about the crowd sourcing, dude. We all have to do our part." When asked what he'd do if the device wasn't what he expected, he was unconcerned. "If that happened, it would just mean I'm using it wrong. I can adapt."

We reached out to Apple's Tim Cook for comment, but were told he was unavailable because he was in a meeting with Jony Ive, dreaming up ridiculous concepts to "leak" and laughing 'til he peed himself.

• Reply 30 of 42
    tkell31tkell31 Posts: 216member

Someone better come out with a product Apple can copy and improve on soon.  They arent doing so good coming up with something on their own.  Been hearing about this improved iTV for a couple years, now an iWatch.  Appears they are lacking iIdeas.  

• Reply 31 of 42
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

Ditto that. Wrist stuff makes me feel chained. I got rid of my last watch the day I got my first mobile phone sometime in the 90's. I'm not in those 19%.

On a side note though, a friend of mine is running an online wrist watch store. And it's going extremely well. So the demand for wrist watches is surprisingly high.

I know what you mean, my husband bought me a Rolex Oyster for our anniversary a couple years back. It's a beautiful watch but I'm probably the only woman in the world who doesn't like wearing jewelery on their wrist.

• Reply 32 of 42
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

My heart bleeds for you. People are starving all over the world and you talk about this nonsense Rolex watches!

• Reply 33 of 42
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

People are starving all over the world…

What does this have to do with anything?

• Reply 34 of 42
    marvfox wrote: »
    My heart bleeds for you. People are starving all over the world and you talk about this nonsense Rolex watches!

You don't know me or my family, you have no idea how much I give to developing countries to build water wells or organize computers for schools, nor the amount of money I give. How many Apple products do you own where a much cheaper gizmo would have suffice, how many flat screens do you have in your house, do you drive a car when you can be taking the bus.

Both my husband and I work very hard for our money, please keep such comments to your self in the future.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

I do not believe anything on the internet what anyone says now.Prove it.

• Reply 36 of 42
    scprofessorscprofessor Posts: 218member

O.K. there's some fight among us and to our credit. I'm old school and sport a Honda/Seiko Chrono. But it is about as crazy as 22K gold chain around my neck with a $5 gold eagle. If you like then then like it, if not the them heck with them.

• Reply 37 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

You don't know me or my family, you have no idea how much I give to developing countries to build water wells or organize computers for schools, nor the amount of money I give. How many Apple products do you own where a much cheaper gizmo would have suffice, how many flat screens do you have in your house, do you drive a car when you can be taking the bus.

Both my husband and I work very hard for our money, please keep such comments to your self in the future.

None of that is relevant to the subject of an iWatch. I can't see a company like Apple deviating from tech products into straight out jewelry. While it's also irrelevant to the topic, I do think it's strange that your husband wouldn't know you well enough to recognize that you don't wear wrist jewelry. I also think there is little point in posturing over the internet. Take that as you will.

• Reply 38 of 42
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    hmm wrote: »
    None of that is relevant to the subject of an iWatch. I can't see a company like Apple deviating from tech products into straight out jewelry. While it's also irrelevant to the topic, I do think it's strange that your husband wouldn't know you well enough to recognize that you don't wear wrist jewelry. I also think there is little point in posturing over the internet. Take that as you will.

It was marvfox reply to her that threw was out of tune with the thread and argumentative. Relic's comment directly addresses palegolas and emig647's comments about not caring for wrist worn technology by using a relevant and fairly recent anecdote.
  • Reply 39 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmm View Post

I should have kept back the name of the product, it wasn't my intention to gloat. I've discussed this before but I was very ill, I'm in remission, anyway the gift was to represent buying me more time. I will be careful in the future with my posts.

• Reply 40 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I should have kept back the name of the product, it wasn't my intention to gloat. I've discussed this before but I was very ill, I'm in remission, anyway the gift was to represent buying me more time. I will be careful in the future with my posts.

Now I feel bad. That is actually very cool. Sorry to make you explain the other details. I wasn't analyzing the brand or what they cost. Those are meaningless details to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It was marvfox reply to her that threw was out of tune with the thread and argumentative. Relic's comment directly addresses palegolas and emig647's comments about not caring for wrist worn technology by using a relevant and fairly recent anecdote.

I got that. I apparently misinterpreted in a different way. I generally tend to ignore marvfox's rants.