Samsung testing 5G wireless technology that can download entire movies in seconds

Comments

• Reply 21 of 101

Wow, gigabit wifi would be awesome.  And it would rack up even awesomer overage charges on my data plan, which limits me to 5GB/month.  In fact, even the current 4G LTE connection I've got is too fast, because the damnable autoplay video ads have begun rolling and downloading data faster than I can turn them off. And I'll end up downloading entire youtube videos before I can realize that I am not interested, based upon the first few seconds. These things burn through my monthly data allocation too fast as it is.  Is there a setting in SnowLeopard (or higher) that can throttle my Mac's datastream?  Or is there a 3rd party throttling application that I could install?

On this 5G standard, ten seconds of unwanted video = $50 overage charge. Eeeeek!

• Reply 22 of 101
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Faster, more reliable internet connections open up the possibility of new services. Don't think in terms of what's offered today.

Like what? I never think of what is offered today, am always thinking of the future (that's what I do for a living).  Sure there will be a certain percentage of people who will have requirement for greater speed. But all the average consumer cares about is video. Adequate speed to stream in high res video is all that most will care for. 

You will have iGlasses (and Apple's similar offering) which will no doubt require greater upload speed in the future, due to data storage in the 'cloud', but that's about it. But even still, the main bandwidth hog will be (and will always be) video.

• Reply 23 of 101
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Wow, gigabit wifi would be awesome.

[...]

On this 5G standard, ten seconds of unwanted video = $50 overage charge. Eeeeek!

gibiBIT for the tech v. gibiBYTE for how how iSP charges you, so you'd need to get 80 seconds of unwanted video for your scenario.
  • Reply 24 of 101
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    rogifan wrote: »
    It's PR from Samsung about technology that might be available in 2020. How is that relevant to Apple in 2013? Is AI that hard up with stuff to fill the pages on their site? Or do they like reporting on Samsung because they know it's good click bait to drive hits to the site?

If you're going to be 5-10 years ahead of the competition then what's going to be available in 2020 is very relevant.
  • Reply 25 of 101
    cmvsmcmvsm Posts: 204member
    US telephone/cable companies haven't even implemented 4G completely with many still using 3G, and they want to think about 5G? I have relatives from overseas that simply laugh at how much Americans pay for high speed internet and cable, versus what they get in technology and services in return. They get more for 2/3rds less than what we pay, and companies over there are serious about keeping up with implementation, where companies like Samsung will invest in the R&D to take advantage of it.
  • Reply 26 of 101
    Like what? I never think of what is offered today, am always thinking of the future (that's what I do for a living).  Sure there will be a certain percentage of people who will have requirement for greater speed. But all the average consumer cares about is video. Adequate speed to stream in high res video is all that most will care for. 

You will have iGlasses (and Apple's similar offering) which will no doubt require greater upload speed in the future, due to data storage in the 'cloud', but that's about it. But even still, the main bandwidth hog will be (and will always be) video.

Wouldn't iGlasses most likely be Apple's offering?
  • Reply 26 of 101
    Delete
  • Reply 26 of 101
    Delete
  • Reply 26 of 101
    Delete
  • Reply 30 of 101
    cmvsmcmvsm Posts: 204member

Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I can barely think of decent uses for 4G, let alone 5G. My 3G connection streams video adequately, and that's about as data intensive as I need, or will need for in the foreseeable future.

I don't care for downloading video in seconds. As long as I can stream it, and play it immediately, who cares.

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home." -- Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977

• Reply 31 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I remember when 20 years ago my friend said "who the hell needs a 40 Mb hard drive?" With 4K and even 8K on the horizon those speeds will be needed.

Well your friend is stupid! That was obvious. And I have always seen use for increasing data storage and bandwidth... until now.

Incremental updates, and cloud based storage, make local storage almost obsolete (for your average consumer). And streaming high res video is about all that will required from bandwidth (for your average consumer).

I keep repeating 'for your average consumer' because this is key. You will always have a small percentage of people who will require vast amounts of bandwidth, for instance a security company with multiple video streams on the go. But again, it's all about the video. Video is and will alway be the number one bandwidth hog. 

• Reply 32 of 101
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Good luck with that. By the time we all have hundred Mb/s Internet to our homes, we'll be capped to one hundred megabytes per month.

I was just thinking the same thing.  Wireless service needs a new business model: one which isn't funded (extorted) by bandwidth caps and roaming fees, but also not by personal information harvesting and targeted advertising.  Perhaps by hardware sales...

• Reply 33 of 101
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmvsm View Post

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home." -- Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977

every tech eventually reaches a point where its too good for what most people want and something else takes over

gaming graphics cards, home internet, computers, etc

• Reply 34 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmvsm View Post

Oh for gods sake, don't tar me with the same brush! Anyone who knows me knows I'm the last person to say such things. 

• Reply 35 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Wouldn't iGlasses most likely be Apple's offering?

Sorry yeah, whatever they call it! 'Google Glasses'  Apple I guess will be iView or something.

• Reply 36 of 101
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

And how many tens of years will it be before this is implemented in a wide scale. There are many areas of the US still not connected with 3G, let alone 5G depending on what carrier you have. While the technology sounds great, if its expensive as hell then I don't see anyone using it anytime soon. Where I live, if you have anything other than Verizon you're stuck on 2G and I don't live out in the boondocks either. 

In my opinion, the US STILL is not ready for high-bandwidth data. Its a challenge to stream videos sometimes on AppleTV. Yes, some of it may be Apple, but it can't always be Apple or some other service. The network bandwidth just isn't there in the US yet. With this 3D thing going on, I'd like to see people stream 3D movies on the fly...see how that works out. I bet it will be a major flop!

• Reply 37 of 101
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by auxio View Post

I was just thinking the same thing.  Wireless service needs a new business model: one which isn't funded (extorted) by bandwidth caps and roaming fees, but also not by personal information harvesting and targeted advertising.  Perhaps by hardware sales...

Well, according to some, this is the best way of going forward.

Limiting people's use of something is better than building more of something.

… M~hmm.

• Reply 38 of 101
    rcoleman1rcoleman1 Posts: 153member
    This is gonna call for lots of new devices with incredible battery power right?
  • Reply 39 of 101
    elmobiuselmobius Posts: 3member

Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I can barely think of decent uses for 4G, let alone 5G. My 3G connection streams video adequately, and that's about as data intensive as I need, or will need for in the foreseeable future.

I don't care for downloading video in seconds. As long as I can stream it, and play it immediately, who cares.

Without an upgrade to infrastructure, technology stagnates. 

You ever hear that (rumored) Bill Gates quote? "640K of memory ought to be enough for anyone."

No one's going to develop consumer technologies that require 100mbps Internet connections if those 100mbps connections show no promise of high adoption.

• Reply 40 of 101
    macxpress wrote: »
    And how many tens of years will it be before this is implemented in a wide scale. There are many areas of the US still not connected with 3G, let alone 5G depending on what carrier you have. While the technology sounds great, if its expensive as hell then I don't see anyone using it anytime soon. Where I live, if you have anything other than Verizon you're stuck on 2G and I don't live out in the boondocks either. 

In my opinion, the US STILL is not ready for high-bandwidth data. Its a challenge to stream videos sometimes on AppleTV. Yes, some of it may be Apple, but it can't always be Apple or some other service. The network bandwidth just isn't there in the US yet. With this 3D thing going on, I'd like to see people stream 3D movies on the fly...see how that works out. I bet it will be a major flop!

Those areas might leap frog to 5G. Some countries go from being vastly behind to superior service.