Samsung testing 5G wireless technology that can download entire movies in seconds

1246

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 101
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,365member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by malax View Post


    Actually I'm pretty sure that that's exactly what the "non-discriminatory" part of FRAND means.



    Actually no, at least not literally.


     


    Up until now it just meant the licensor was supposed to have a valid reason if one licensee's terms were differently than anothers. A valid reason *might* simply be the volume of products shipped, or perhaps the value the licensee gets from a license to your technology. All things being equal then different companies should be treated the same and pay the same amounts. All things are not always equal.


     


    What would clearly be discriminatory is if companies were treated differently only because one is a direct competitor while another is not.

  • Reply 62 of 101
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post




    But again, it's all about the video. Video is and will alway be the number one bandwidth hog. 



     


    "Beam me up Scotty."


     


    "Sorry Captain, I'm working as fast as I can but we only have 5G speed right now" 

  • Reply 63 of 101
    brutus009brutus009 Posts: 356member

    Quote:


    Originally Posted by Evilution View Post


    The term 5G is just another one of those marketing things playing towards the idiots who think they need faster and bigger everything.



     


    Fixed.  Unless, of course, you're legitimately trying to tell us that we no longer need to improve wifi for the rest of forever because there are no possible applications of practical use for anyone ever.  If that were the case, there's no quick fix for your point of view.

  • Reply 64 of 101
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,348member
    I'm still completely satisfied with 3G (HSPA ) speeds, is there something fucking wrong with me? I guess it's because I don't torrent HD movies on my phone?

    I'm just flabbergasted how 4G (ie. LTE) would not be more than sufficient for 100% of the consumer market.
  • Reply 65 of 101
    teongoteongo Posts: 11member
    I hate Samsung, for what they have been doing with regards to Apple. But this I will have to admit that Samsung is in the driver seat and Apple is now the follower.... oh boy that is so sad!
  • Reply 66 of 101
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by cmvsm View Post


    "There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home." -- Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977



    Bill Gates denies the common rumor that in 1981 he stated that 640kB was enough for everybody. In 1979  I upgraded my first computer from 4kB to 8kB, memory cost me $10/kB.

  • Reply 67 of 101
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post



    I'm still completely satisfied with 3G (HSPA ) speeds, is there something fucking wrong with me? I guess it's because I don't torrent HD movies on my phone?



    I'm just flabbergasted how 4G (ie. LTE) would not be more than sufficient for 100% of the consumer market.


    There is also the matter of uplink speed which is really slow on HSPA. If 4G is fast enough for everyone why do you think that home WiFi speeds are so much faster than LTE? I think it is because people know the difference and prefer the faster data speeds. Latency is also a big issue which has more to do with server requests, routers and switches than actual network speed... but faster is always better.

  • Reply 68 of 101
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    macxpress wrote: »
    . . . With this 3D thing going on, I'd like to see people stream 3D movies on the fly...see how that works out. I bet it will be a major flop!

    Correct use case, wrong conclusion, unless you're joking.

    Live 3D video communication is obviously the future. Not necessarily person-to-person so much, but place-to-place. Think live streams to your iGlasses from around the world. What's been missing from webcams is enough bandwidth for clarity, decent frame rate, and stereo picture. Beneficial mass hypnosis awaits. ADD problem solved
  • Reply 69 of 101
    fazufazu Posts: 1member
    It's not about the speed of individual files (although faster servers would be nice). It's about sending lots of data to multiple locations simultaneously. The internet we live in is very one-sided%u2014there's a lot more consumption of data than generation, at least from the user's perspective.

    Imagine fitness monitors being able to send gigabytes of information about you up to servers that can perform instant, 99.99% accurate diagnoses based on all the data it has. Or hosting a town-hall style meeting, or teaching a classroom, over direct video interaction at a smooth 30%u201360fps.

    It's about breaking down the world we live in into more bits and more fidelity and sending that data between many endpoints.
  • Reply 70 of 101
    rasimorasimo Posts: 61member
    macrulez wrote: »
    So about the time Apple purges the last Samsung component from their assembly lines, Samsung will have a SEP Apple needs so it'll resume payments to the company.

    There's no inherent problem with participating in such a global economy.  The only risk is what do the fees look like after burning so many bridges.  Remember, "standards-essential" doesn't mean "free", and while there's an obligation on the patent-holder to ask for pricing within reasonable bounds, there is no obligation to charge all licensees the same amount.

    That's fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory?
  • Reply 71 of 101

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post


    So about the time Apple purges the last Samsung component from their assembly lines, Samsung will have a SEP Apple needs so it'll resume payments to the company.


     


    There's no inherent problem with participating in such a global economy.  The only risk is what do the fees look like after burning so many bridges.  Remember, "standards-essential" doesn't mean "free", and while there's an obligation on the patent-holder to ask for pricing within reasonable bounds, there is no obligation to charge all licensees the same amount.



    What else would a resident troll say?


     


    Oh the irony of "burning bridges". There are many companies working on 5G so we don't even know which patents will become part of the standard when it's finally settled. It's more like Samsung has burned bridges by continuing to abuse SEP's in court (and getting the smackdown for it). What standards body is going to want to trust a corrupt licensee like Samsung when there are other choices out there from companies who don't abuse patents?


     


    Samsung is the one who needs to tread carefully, not Apple.


     


    Edited: Forgot to add. Standards bodies currently do not get involved in these battles over SEP's nor do they have any firm guidelines. You can bet that in the future these standards bodies are going to make companies like Samsung follow stricter rules to prevent abuse. So these types of court cases will probably cease to exist as the agreements made with SSO's will be far more specific in terms of what you can and cannot do.

  • Reply 72 of 101
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,383member


    It's just a logical progression.  I hope that Samsung doesn't try to gouge everyone on the costs involved, but knowing Samsung, they will.

  • Reply 73 of 101
    mudman2mudman2 Posts: 54member
    shhh dont tell anyone , promise

    I am testing 12G on a smartphone for use exclusively on Mars
  • Reply 74 of 101
    I see the medical field benefiting. They already have the camera pills that you swallow and get realtime imaging. It would cool for them to mail the pill to take at home and a team of doctors across the country could monitor the results instantly.
  • Reply 75 of 101
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,401member
    Which reminds me -- will iPhone 5S have 802.11ac?!
  • Reply 76 of 101
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,460member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


    How would you suggest that might work? Would the owners of AI receive some of Apple's hardware revenue for instance, or did you have something else in mind?



     


    Uh, I'm not quite sure how AI entered the debate over building high-speed data networks...


     


    Anyways, my thinking was that higher speed and capacity data networks would be built/funded by people buying hardware (phones, tablets, etc) which makes use of it (which they'd be buying anyways).  Hinting that companies like Apple and Samsung would get into the "data pipe" industry (the point of this article).  Which would allow for the elimination of bandwidth caps and the like.

  • Reply 77 of 101
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member


    deleted

  • Reply 78 of 101
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

    Quote:


    You ever hear that (rumored) Bill Gates quote? "640K of memory ought to be enough for anyone."



     


    What Gates actually said, was they thought that going from 64K to 640K should be good enough to last the needs of computer users for another ten years.


     


    Many years later at a college speech, he poked fun at himself about this prediction, noting that they had been wrong by about five years.


     


    He brought it up as a warning to anyone else who might fall into the same trap, of thinking they could so easily predict future needs.


     


    (I remember when I got my first 5MB hard drive for $800.  I was sure that much storage would last me for years.)

  • Reply 79 of 101
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,460member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


     


    Well, according to some, this is the best way of going forward.


     


    Limiting people's use of something is better than building more of something.


     


    … M~hmm.



     


    By that logic, we should still be doing time sharing on computers which are limited to use in laboratories.  Or using pay phones.

  • Reply 80 of 101

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post


    Is it possible for you to go even just one week without name-calling?


     



     


    Perhaps you should ask yourself why you are in a very, very small group of people who get "called names" by me on AI.


     


    If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, am I not allowed to call it a duck?

Sign In or Register to comment.