Samsung testing 5G wireless technology that can download entire movies in seconds

Comments

• Reply 81 of 101
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Uh, I'm not quite sure how AI entered the debate over building high-speed data networks...

Anyways, my thinking was that higher speed and capacity data networks would be built/funded by people buying hardware (phones, tablets, etc) which makes use of it (which they'd be buying anyways).  Hinting that companies like Apple and Samsung would get into the "data pipe" industry (the point of this article).  Which would allow for the elimination of bandwidth caps and the like.

So then you think Apple should be "taxed" on it's hardware sales to build out the supporting infrastucture, in addition to the royalties already being paid for infrastructure IP standards royalties. I'd be surprised if Apple were agreeable to that and if Apple isn't then no one else with even slimmer profits would be either.

• Reply 82 of 101
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    4G is almost completely useless since you can exhaust your monthly data plan in less than one minute at full speed.

Similarly, 5G will be entirely useless unless a method is devised to force cell carriers to give customers enough bandwidth to actually use it. Downloading HD movies? Don't make me laugh. You can't even download a SINGLE movie in HD with current cell data plans, even the expensive plans.

And yes, the carriers will have to be forced. They certainly have shown zero signs of offering more data on their own.

Did you ever think unlimited minutes of talk time would be the norm? Data plans may still be capped but at a much higher limit than they are today.
  • Reply 83 of 101
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by teongo View Post

But this I will have to admit that Samsung is in the driver seat and Apple is now the follower.... oh boy that is so sad!

Do you really want to make a fool out of yourself?

• Reply 84 of 101
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member
    Cool! I can theoretically hit the monthly datacap in under a second.
  • Reply 85 of 101
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member

More Samsmug PR B.S.

Technology that can upload your entire Contacts list before you can slap your forehead ("Oh, crap, what did I just allow?") will be worthless unless it's submitted and accepted by an international standards board and licensed under FRAND terms.

• Reply 86 of 101
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Here's an interesting new service (and only slightly off-topic): Zact

There's some device limitations for now, but I like the idea behind it and the guy running the show certainly isn't new to the industry.

The result is a highly flexible choose-your-own-plan model that lets customers dial down exactly how many minutes, text and data they need via a user-friendly app. If you go over your allotment, the phone will notify you to increase it. But perhaps the best part about Zact is that it has a "Never Overpay Guarantee," which means if you don't use all of your plan, you won't be charged for it. For example, if you sign up for a 500 text plan, but only end up sending 20 messages that month, Zact will only charge you for the 20, reminding you that you should probably choose a lower tier next time around to best suit your needs.

Further, Zact allows you to access specialized plans for those with specific needs. For example, if you only need the phone for texting and data, you can do that. Or if you only ever use it for email and Facebook, you can pay for individual data just for specific apps; the ItsOn software is smart enough to figure that out. 

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/13/zact-smart-mobile-provider/#continued

• Reply 87 of 101
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In practice, that speed would allow wireless users to download a full HD movie in seconds. 

And only then will the movie and TV studios really feel pressure to allow rental / sales through iTunes.

So Apple can save them the way they rescued the recording industry from massive music piracy.

So don't hold your breath for an Apple television set.

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Most carriers are still transitioning to 4G technology ...

No carriers are transitioning to 4G technology.

LTE isn't a 4G technology.  It's the last gasp of 3G.  Its full name is "3rd Generation Partnership Project Long Term Evolution," and it still needs separate connections for voice and data, like all 3G protocols.  The "real" 4G, which exists only as a set of requirements so far, will combine voice and data into a single internet packet stream.  Just like your email and web browsing data are combined into a single packet stream from your desktop or laptop computer.

And the carriers are already working to obscure that unified data protocol.  They've gotten used to charging us separately for voice and data plans.  They won't like the idea of a unified data stream, because it will eliminate any justification for separate voice and data charges.  They'll fight tooth and nail to avoid their ultimate fate as dumb pipes, just like your ISP.  Your ISP can't charge separately for email and other data.  Your cell carrier won't be able to charge separately for voice minutes and data.

So how will the cell carriers obscure the unified nature of real 4G data?  By calling the current non-4G technology "4G."  By confusing the issue.  I can't wait to see what kind of tapdance they do in five years or so.  Or whenever 4G is finally rolled out.

• Reply 88 of 101
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

... Remember, "standards-essential" doesn't mean "free", and while there's an obligation on the patent-holder to ask for pricing within reasonable bounds, there is no obligation to charge all licensees the same amount.

Actually I'm pretty sure that that's exactly what the "non-discriminatory" part of FRAND means.

You're both right.  The non-discriminatory part means everyone gets a chance at the same deals (if they qualify).  For example:

There could be different rates for different quantities.  If you want to buy 1 million licenses, you should get offered the same rate as anyone else who wants 1 million licenses.  But if you only want fifty licenses, then no, you probably wouldn't get the same rate as the million license buyers do.  You'd get the fifty license rate.

There also might be one rate if you cross-license everything, and another if you do not.  Or various rates for partial cross-licensing.

So there could be all sorts of possible license deals. ND means the deals should be offered to all.

--

Interestingly, back when GSM first started and Motorola had over 50% of the patents, they did not charge cash royalties.  Motorola only had two deals available:  1) you bought chips or equipment from them and the license came with them, or 2) you cross-licensed all your patents.

• Reply 89 of 101
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I recall musing on AI a year or two ago that one day the internet will be so fast we will cease even thinking about download speeds just as we didn't when watching an analog TV show in the past, it was 'just there'. We are getting closer.

But did you anticipate data rate caps? It doesn't matter how fast you can download something if the total amount of data available to you is restricted.

• Reply 90 of 101
    mercury99mercury99 Posts: 251member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcoleman1 View Post

This is gonna call for lots of new devices with incredible battery power right?

Wrong. There are will be no batteries. The power will be wireless. Samsung will probably invent that as well. 

• Reply 91 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

But did you anticipate data rate caps? It doesn't matter how fast you can download something if the total amount of data available to you is restricted.

Well, it doesn't matter how fast you can download something--so long as it's fast enough to suit you and is within your data limit.

• Reply 92 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Eventually the content would be cloud-based only, even when you are on airplane, so you would not be downloading the movie in 1 second, you would be streaming/watching it for 2 hours. 

• Reply 93 of 101
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

..and, as expected, this is a misleading, cynical sham that only serves to confuse people and create marketing hype for Samsung. There is no "5G" standard, this will not work in real world situations, nobody is going to benefit from this anytime in the next several years, and the technology itself has been done before. It's closer to to Wifi range than anything that can be used by telecoms. So I guess I've been using "5G" on my home lan for many years. 

Par for the course of Samsung's loud-mouthed gimmicks. What a shameless company, which such contempt for the consumer. 

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/13/4326192/let-the-5g-confusion-begin-samsung-demos-ultra-fast-wireless-with-bad-branding

• Reply 94 of 101
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member

Few generations later.     As we speak, right now supposedly the Internet has been redone.   The way we use the World Wide Web is so 20th Century.

The money has been spent and right now a special few are using the NEW super improved Internet.   

What am I referring to.       The GRID.    Everyone seems to forget that that is available to some scientists and universities, but only those that are involved with that CERN experiment.    All that advanced technology.   All that possibility of using the Internet with so much capacity is there now.   But only to process that one thing.

Maybe Google and Apple should get together and buy out that Grid (advanced Internet( and put it to use for the rest of us.

• Reply 95 of 101
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

So then you think Apple should be "taxed" on it's hardware sales to build out the supporting infrastucture, in addition to the royalties already being paid for infrastructure IP standards royalties. I'd be surprised if Apple were agreeable to that and if Apple isn't then no one else with even slimmer profits would be either.

No, I'm suggesting that hardware companies like Apple should either buy or build their own, and fund it via hardware sales.  Imagine being able to promote the iPhone and iPad as the only devices with truly unlimited high-speed wireless capabilities -- no compromises.  Unlimited voice and video calls via FaceTime, unlimited texting via iMessage, unlimited streaming HD movies via iTunes -- one big unlimited data pipe.  They could definitely charge a premium on their devices for that experience.

• Reply 96 of 101
    Good point, Auxio!
  • Reply 97 of 101
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

5G is just another one of those things playing towards the idiots who think they need faster and bigger everything.

There you have it. Evilution doesn't need it, so if you do you're an idiot.

I was going to explain some of the benefits of increased speed, but I don't want to be an idiot.

• Reply 98 of 101

I don't know what to do with such speed. Smartphones of Google or Apple are not suitable for any work with files (i don't like the cloud alternative). The current 3G or LTE is enough, only the battery management need to be improved. That's my opinion.

• Reply 99 of 101
    teongoteongo Posts: 11member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Do you really want to make a fool out of yourself?

I hope that you are right , and I am a fool!  but it does look scary from here.  Because this time there is no Steve Jobs to save Apple  again.

• Reply 100 of 101
    teongoteongo Posts: 11member

deleted