AT&T to reportedly drop HTC's 'Facebook Phone' following sluggish sales

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
After just over a month of sputtering sales, and a subsequent price drop to $0.99, AT&T will reportedly discontinue the HTC First, otherwise known as the "HTC Facebook Phone."

htc

According to an inside source, HTC's First, the first handset to come with Facebook's "Home" launcher pre-installed, has performed so poorly that AT&T will end sales of the device return all unsold units to HTC, reports BGR.

While exact numbers have yet to be revealed, the person claims AT&T saw nationwide sales creep along since the First debuted in early April, moving less than 15,000 units through last week. The telecom recently dropped the price of the smartphone down to $0.99.

The publication notes that HTC reserved dedicated floor space for the phone, and posits that the deep discount was meant to move as much inventory as possible before the time period is up.

However, AT&T in a follow-up statement that "as mentioned previously, we do pricing promotions all the time and have made no decisions on future plans."

The First was billed as the flagship device for Facebook's Home experience, as it was optimized to take advantage of the social network giant's Android launcher. While it appears that the U.S. run of the handset is coming to an end, future international availability remains unknown.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

I didn't see that coming....

• Reply 2 of 48
    vision33rvision33r Posts: 213member
    Just like Facebook stocks. Facebook is way over-rated and over-valued.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member

This is BOGUS, man!!  I'm going to organize a protest against AT&T!!   Who's with me?!

C'mon, I said   WHO'S WITH ME?!!!

On another note, however;  What does this have to do with Apple? (On this "Applecentric" news site)  image

• Reply 4 of 48
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    With the SGS 4 and HTC One launching at the same time it's not surprising, and it's especially not surprising since almost 70% of smartphones sold on AT&T are iPhones.
  • Reply 5 of 48
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    Embarrassing
  • Reply 6 of 48
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

After just over a month of sputtering sales, and a subsequent price drop to $0.99, AT&T will reportedly discontinue the HTC First...

Maybe $0.98 was the sweet spot?

No, probably not...

Looks like Mr Zuckerberg just learned that smartphone users want operating systems, not apperating systems.

• Reply 7 of 48
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    HTC eats dust again... ...you begin to feel sorry for 'em. Sorta'....
  • Reply 8 of 48
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Not very surprising. Facebook is a sputtering brand at this point.

• Reply 9 of 48
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    So, where are all the fandroids who gloated about iOS not getting Facebook Home?
  • Reply 10 of 48
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    I am not a big FB fan but this is somewhat surprising, if true. I'll wait until AT&T kills it officially before I believe this news.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

So, where are all the fandroids who gloated about iOS not getting Facebook Home?

Whoa. . . There were gloating Android fans proud of Facebook Home?? The overall two star rating at Google Play would be evidence they were part of a tiny minority if so.

• Reply 12 of 48
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    Facebook, the MySpace of tomorrow.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Facebook isn't a driving factor for buying a phone. FAIL.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Maybe the Instagram phone will do better.

C'mon AI can't you spin this story with a big anti apple headline? Like AI always does?

Suggestion: This is bad because less android fragmentation will happen?
  • Reply 15 of 48
    boriscletoboriscleto Posts: 159member

Now to be know as the HTC Last.

• Reply 16 of 48
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    That was..fast. I remember all the "LOL iOS CANT HANDLE SOMETHING LIKE FACEBOOK HOME ANDROID IS SO AWESOME" trolling like it was yesterday. Turns out, people aren't clamoring for that shit.
  • Reply 17 of 48
    rjruizrjruiz Posts: 1member
    Haha that's hilarious :)
  • Reply 18 of 48
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Facebook is a dogsh*t business model....

I know, I know, they make a lot of money!
  • Reply 19 of 48
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Facepalm!

• Reply 20 of 48
    Saw that coming. I imagine the windows phone is next