Apple job listings point to new iWork for iOS and OS X with HiDPI graphics

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    kevt wrote: »
    File parity is the biggie - much more important than full feature parity. Even if some features would overcomplicate the iOS version, that would not necessarily preclude sharing a common file format. Sync via iCloud would be improved immensely from the mess it is today.
    I consider the file issue the biggest shortcoming of the iWorks suites. The fact that the iOS versions bork the files that you "import" is just unacceptable. The other big boner with files is access to them on your iOS device, it is just very un Apple like and frankly falls apart if you have a bunch of documents you use regularly. I've heard very thin rumors of enhanced file handling on iOS 7 so maybe they will start to clean that up.

In any event, yeah iCloud basically sucks with respect to iWork.
  • Reply 42 of 54
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    They're hiring now? We'll never see it. Nor will we want to. QA should come in at the start, and be really really smart. Adverbially smart, dudes!

Yep! If you take this as a sign they are just getting started it could be years before a solid update is delivered. If quality is an after thought this could be one screwed up iWork release
  • Reply 43 of 54
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    kkerst wrote: »
    Seriously? iWork is majorly lacking features and is far from perfect. For starters, there is no way to do add references.

Or maybe you had your sarcasm button on, my radar never works for that.

Oh, there's the /s....nevamind
    I know it's not perfect- keynote is pretty great, but numbers (particularly for me) is extremely lacking vs excel. Others have mentioned plenty of reasons about pages on this thread (and others). Tallest just likes to mention how perfect it all is and I found it a nice time to rib him a little. That's all. :)
  • Reply 44 of 54
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Fill up, down, left, right shortcuts.

Shortcuts generally. I have found creating my own not working properly. I know many don't like MS' layout, but for me the floating panels suck. Not a fan of floating panels in any app.
  • Reply 45 of 54
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member

"New" features:

- Add line numbers (Pages)

- Add the possibility to open the styles drawer when in full screen mode (Pages)

- Make full screen mode more functional, e.g. like iPhoto

- Ability in Mail to attach iWork documents from iCloud

- More functionality in Numbers, e.g. the simple possibility to transpose lines and columns

- etc.

• Reply 46 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The trick to iWork is to include all the piddling little features that no one actually cares about (for the 1/1000th of 1/1000th of a percent that uses them) while retaining the simplicity of the UI and operation for everyone else.

Simplicity? Like the cut and paste style that doesn't, you know, cut and paste styles?

There's things I love about iWork, but there's so, soooo many problems too.

• Reply 47 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Other things include modern scripting support within the apps. I'm talking both iOS and Mac OS with a special focus on Numbers. I might choke a bit on it but even a JavaScript based solution within Numbers would go a long ways to making it a Pro app.Import and export still sucks in Numbers and frankly this is an embarrassment as open source spread sheets do a better job. It isn't like an Excel file is a total mystery these days.

I'd say that it's high time for an AppleScript replacement, and that the obvious target is JS. Apple's spent considerable time and effort on JS performance as part of Safari (and WebKit generally) and it is now orders of magnitude faster than AS. Moreover, it's widely used, understood, and has all sorts of "learn to…" materials available.

As to file formats, not only is there the MacOS/iOS issue, but a lack of formats in general. Which is ironic, considering we had this TWO DECADES AGO:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XTND

• Reply 48 of 54
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Right now, the simple act of making a graph out of data is complicated. Inverting X and Y axis isn't intuitive at all and the data analysis doesn't work well. I thought they would bring a new version soon, I hope this doesn't mean that we'll have to wait more.
  • Reply 49 of 54
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

"I heard you just got a new job at Apple, what are you doing there?"

"iWork."

"Yeah I know, but what kind of work?"

"iWork."

"Yeah I know, but what..."

• Reply 50 of 54
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

So ligatures and hyphenation are "piddling little features"?  Interesting.  

I'm not sure what you mean. Ligatures exist OS-wide and hyphenation is possible within Pages.

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Add to that, feature parity between iOS and OSX versions.

Oh, ABSOLUTELY. Why this wasn't the case at version 1.0 of iOS' suite is unfathomable to me.

• Reply 51 of 54
    Wasn't there a rumor a while back that iWork was already ready for an update? Someone saw a German iWork book for the new version I think... Reading this posting, it sounds like there's a super buggy version floating around the Infinite Loop
  • Reply 52 of 54
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by hypercommunist View Post

Wasn't there a rumor a while back that iWork was already ready for an update? Someone saw a German iWork book for the new version I think... 

Oh, those have never been strong indicators of anything real. I think there was a placeholder for a book about "Logic Pro X" once.

• Reply 53 of 54
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Add to that, feature parity between iOS and OSX versions.

I think that won't ever be on par, as the input device differs; mouse vs finger. The more refined stuff can be done with a mouse. Besides, I wouldn't want to rill down several levels in order to get something on my iPhones' iWork. Maybe I'm just not either seeing it OR putting way too much into your feature parity.
    charlituna wrote: »
    Plug in support.

That works! Already does, especially for Aperture, quite a useful offering:

http://www.apple.com/aperture/resources/plugins.html
  • Reply 54 of 54
    p lp l Posts: 64member

Suggestions now = near/FAR future new/upgrades. Suggestions 2009/10/11/12 = NEW/Upgraded in use now. Apple does listen!