Apple fell to 18% share of smartphone sales in Q1, Gartner says

Comments

• Reply 41 of 98
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Thank you for making it explicitly clear that you don't actually have any real data.

And thank you, for making it explicitly clear that you actually don't have the ability to comprehend.

(Haven't you met your trolling quota for the day?)

• Reply 42 of 98
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

of course, when we are not happy with the numbers lets question the source...

Apple was able to slow down its tablet market share freefall with the iPad mini...

Many here have questioned where these numbers come from since Samsung does not give out numbers of units and the best anyone has been able to come up with is so-called "educated guesses" based on various "indicators" about the number shipped (which has nothing to do with what is sold except for it being a theoretical maximum).

This reminds me of when HP said its numbers for the webOS Tablet were in line with what it expected and everyone was speculating a million or more sold initially--only to find out that the initial run was only 90,000 (although they made more for some reason and then had a fire sale).

That is why the source is important.

Where in the heck do you get this "Apple…tablet market share free fall…"? I must have missed something. Do you mean that since Apple was the only company making tablets, the iPad, as soon as Samsung started making their copies that Apples market share fell? I guess that was inevitable since Apple had 100% since they created the market and if anybody sells tablets after that then Apples market share, by definition, is going down. You might have noticed there is a small lawsuit or two about this--maybe not since you are spending so much time trolling here.

• Reply 43 of 98
    First, whenever someone opens with "longtime Apple supporter here" I know they're about to disparage Apple history/strategy pretty thoroughly.

Second, when the post turns out to contain literally every familiar, negative 'talking point' -- presented in almost the exact same order! -- as I've seen rolled into a few dozen other posts on AI comment threads recently, I start to detect a pattern of premeditation. Seriously. 

I watch this in the political sphere as well. RNC puts out a list of anti-Obama talking points, which then make the rounds as "opinion" on the Sunday talk show circuit, and THOSE quotes are picked up by the 'news outlets' as crazily consistent headlines (even though they're quoting different people, it all ends up being the same meme).

Back to here: the same kind of background noise, based on a consistent "list" of talking points: The competition is 'catching up', Apple is alienating customers, losing mindshare, no Mac Pro in years, the "Final Cut X fiasco", no 'touch capability' in OSX (cue WIndows comparison)… make sure you use certain adjectives and descriptives: narrow, limited, crappy, ditching Apple, limiting, unexciting...

And then the big fail finish: "Apple just hasn't been EXCITING for a long time"...

I almost expect them to cue Samsung Ad copy:  SAMSUNG has the MOST EXCITING products available today!

Either you are paid to be posting here, or you have drunk the Glenn Beck-styled koolaid from the paid-PR 'news' cycle… 

Whether or not Apple has lost a couple of points of global market share is almost immaterial. Their products remain hugely in demand, margins (even adjusted) still above the competition by multiples, and their product mix, although appearing "limited" to some, actually satisfies any real needs people have in computing/telephony, etc...

When the hype and gimmicks have faded, Apple still stands as the most used, the highest quality, and the most consistent across the board… I find that pretty exciting myself...

Did you consider the fact that those might be people's actual opinions? Unlike the political news circuit, this forum is an inconsequential corner of the internet where opinions get the attention of tens of users and affect nothing in the broader world. This is a forum. One of likely millions on the web. People aren't here to promote interests outside their own. There is no grand conspiracy against Apple.

Here's my inconsequential, non-promotional opinion of iOS - it's stale. It's exceedingly well made and popular. But it's stale. I think a lot of diehard Apple users are even a little bored with it. Not all of them are, obviously, but enough that Apple could lose a bit of market share as people try new things.
  • Reply 44 of 98

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

OS X will never merge with iOS.

And it needn't.

Launchpad + OS X App Store take it sufficiently in that direction for those who want it.

• Reply 45 of 98
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I commend you on that post, and thank you for the link. We all can (and will) certainly read into Apple's response what we wish to.

Just curious: do you think you might ask Samsung IR why they don't report shipment volumes or discuss channel inventory? Here's the link I got from their IR page: https://contactus.samsung.com/customer/contactus/formmail/mail/MailQuestionGeneral.jsp?SITE_ID=76&PROD_ID=2088

I figure it should be your turn now. especially since you got all the way to their contact page already. You saw the type of response I get. 

• Reply 46 of 98
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Carpenter View Post

...Microsoft has Windows 8 ( buggy ) but none the less it works...

LMAO!

That is a quote worth remembering. Fine logic. Sounds like something Yogi Berra would have said!

• Reply 47 of 98

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:

I commend you on that post, and thank you for the link. We all can (and will) certainly read into Apple's response what we wish to.

Just curious: do you think you might ask Samsung IR why they don't report shipment volumes or discuss channel inventory? Here's the link I got from their IR page: https://contactus.samsung.com/customer/contactus/formmail/mail/MailQuestionGeneral.jsp?SITE_ID=76&PROD_ID=2088

I figure it should be your turn now. especially since you got all the way to their contact page already. You saw the type of response I get. 

At least, Apple responds.

I've emailed Samsung IR twice with those questions during the past year. Never got a response!

You might have better luck.....

• Reply 48 of 98

Quote:

I've emailed them twice with those questions during the past year. Never got a response!

You might have better luck.....

Then it sounds like a waste of my time, but I'll play. I'll send them an inquiry later on today. FWIW Samsung already pinned part of the blame on intensifying competition, widely read as Apple litigation.

... there are increased risks that the information we provide may adversely affect our own businesses.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904888304576475693866644746.html

• Reply 49 of 98

Quote:

FWIW Samsung already pinned part of the blame on the on-going litigation with Apple.

That's plainly b-s, and you know it.

• Reply 50 of 98

Quote:

Actually I don't know that. I'm assuming that Apple has to go thru the discovery process now to get any product numbers. Whether that creates any difficulty or delays in Apple lawsuits I don't know.So it could be BS or it could truly be a part of the reasoning behind the decision.

• Reply 51 of 98

Quote:

Quote:

Actually I don't know that. I'm assuming that Apple has to go thru the discovery process now to get any product numbers. Whether that creates any difficulty or delays in Apple lawsuits I don't know.So it could be BS or it could truly be a part of the reasoning behind the decision.

Here's what I predict the response will be, to the two questions: (i) We don't report volumes shipped because Korean reporting standards do not require us to; (ii) We don't know (or are not sure of) how to estimate channel inventory.

We'll see.

• Reply 52 of 98
    teamracerteamracer Posts: 22member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Sounds like 'selective observation' to me.

No question, Samsung has been selling well to the lower end market, using designs that mostly copy what Apple initiated back in '07 with the release of iPhone… But your subjective 70-30 and 60-40 projections don't necessarily reflect real sales numbers, nor do they compare meaningfully. Comparing iPhone to EVERYTHING Samsung makes is silly. That's like comparing cheaper compact class cars in your sales comparisons to Benz E-class sales, and declaring that Ford is "winning" since they sell more of them...

And you're dead wrong about "more and more" wanting to switch to bigger screens. For all the phablet noise, it turns out that the larger screen phones aren't selling nearly as well as they hype will lead you to believe. Recent reports show they still occupy only a tiny niche in the low single digits...

I think that in fact people feel kind of silly holding a huge slab up against the side of their head. Let's hope Apple does NOT go there.

Yeah you're right its a little selective :-)

But believe me that i'm an apple investor an therefore I observe very carefully the market in Europe. Also there are analysts covering the european market an it's not looking good for apple. I'm not sure if the S4 is what you qualify a low-end Phone but thats were the most are heading :-(. The sales are very promising for Samsung :-( in Europe right now.

I reduced my apple stock 1/3 but i'm still heavily invested. I have stop-loss orders to protect my money and some stocks were sold today at 449,50.

Best regards

• Reply 53 of 98

Quote:

Quote:

FWIW Samsung already pinned part of the blame on the on-going litigation with Apple.

I should have added, if you actually read the WSJ article you linked to, what Samsung said was: "As competition intensifies, there are increased risks that the information we provide may adversely affect our own business."

It was analysts who told the WSJ that the change in reporting practice was "probably due to its continuing legal battle with Apple."

Big difference, don't you think?

• Reply 54 of 98

Quote:

I should have added, if you actually read the WSJ article you linked to, what Samsung said was: "As competition intensifies, there are increased risks that the information we provide may adversely affect our own business."

It was analysts who told the WSJ that the change in reporting practice was "probably due to its continuing legal battle with Apple."

I edited my post about 20 minutes before yours to clarify just that point. 

• Reply 55 of 98

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teamracer View Post

.... i'm an apple investor an therefore I observe very carefully the market in Europe. ....

I reduced my apple stock 1/3 but i'm still heavily invested. I have stop-loss orders to protect my money and some stocks were sold today at 449,50.

Just curious. Where/how do you trade your Apple shares sitting as a (I assume) retail investor in Europe? Also, in which country do you live?

• Reply 56 of 98

Quote:

Here's what I predict the response will be, to the two questions: (i) We don't report volumes shipped because Korean reporting standards do not require us to; (ii) We don't know (or are not sure of) how to estimate channel inventory.

We'll see.

All they have to do to estimate channel inventory is the same thing Apple does.   (Just a little poke to the ribs...image)

But yor could be right and that may be the response. Personally I expect another non-answer.

• Reply 57 of 98

Quote:

Quote:

I edited my post about 20 minutes before yours to clarify just that point. 

So what are you actually saying? That you don't have a point to your original post -- i.e., there was nothing in what Samsung said that implied they stopped reporting volumes because of litigaiton with Apple?

• Reply 58 of 98

Quote:

So what are you actually saying? That you don't have a point to your original post -- i.e., there was nothing in what Samsung said that implied they stopped reporting volumes because of litigaiton with Apple?

How did you read their statements message? What risks to their business are they likely referring to in your opinion?

• Reply 59 of 98
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    OT: anyone know why Apple dropped 2% this afternoon? It was down most of the day but only $1-$2, then all of a sudden this afternoon it dropped like $10, when others like Google and Microsoft are on fresh highs. What gives?
  • Reply 60 of 98

Quote:

All they have to do to estimate channel inventory is the same thing Apple does. 

I would have no trouble at all if they did that. I would accept their numbers at face value if they brought it up in a post-earnings analyst conference call.

What you fail to understand is that going public with this kind of disclosure -- even though it is voluntary -- requires you to be as truthful as you can, for otherwise, you run a massive risk of being caught out, with all kinds of negative reputational consequences. Sensible companies simply cannot afford to lie or dissemble with such disclosure.