Mobile malware exploding, but only for Android

Comments

• Reply 21 of 136
    dcdevitodcdevito Posts: 3member
    You have to love Apple fanboys, seems some things never change. You're all singing the same tune you sang Windows users over the last 20 years. Congratulations ignorant snobs, you've gotten nowhere.

Not all people like walled gardens. iOS is still young and new, when it owns a majority of the market then the public will turn on it. Sadly for you fanboys that'll never happen, as a closed approach will never gain market share - and don't tell me it isn't important because it is. You know it, Steve Jobs knew it - and now Apple knows it. NO wonder you're getting a 1) plastic iPhone and 2) larger screen iPhone. Yes fanboys the people have spoken and they've won.

This malware nonsense is so overblown it isn't funny. First of all you HAVE TO manually turn on sideloading in Android, otherwise users are safe from downloading a malicious app. The majority of users hardly download that many apps - yes, because of Android's massive market share. Of course the average user in a market that owns a very small piece of the pie will treat their devices differently, because they're niche users. There's nothing wrong with that, I myself own an iMac and love it - that doesn't make it better or virus-free.

THe truth is, iOS doesn't own the massive market share Android does, therefore, no need to write malware for it. iOS isn't perfect, it has exploits, and it gets patched - LIKE EVERY OTHER OPERATING SYSTEM.

SO please do yourselves a favor and look elsewhere for news, and frankly this article on Apple Insider gets published on the eve of Google I/O is hardly a coincidence.
  • Reply 22 of 136
    I totally agree with your third point - they write this crap because they sell 3rd party security software for ANDROID - they're not allowed to write for iOS.
  • Reply 23 of 136
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
  • Reply 24 of 136
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    dcdevito wrote: »
    I totally agree with your third point - they write this crap because they sell 3rd party security software for ANDROID - they're not allowed to write for iOS.

A scare tactic if I ever seen one. What I would like to know is what the hell is going on with Twitter? Accounts get hacked all the time.
  • Reply 25 of 136
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Not thesis-level.  While apps on Google's Marketplace are (laughably) better, Android's ability to side-load apps not associated with any kind of verifiable rating system opens up a can of worms.

At least on iOS, I don't necessarily even have to look at the reviews, # of stars etc.  If I want to do an impulse download of a free app, there's little (if any) worry I will have that it's rogue.  I have Apple to delegate that authority to.

I just remembered the countless Android responses here and on other forums stating "Stupid users should know better than to download an app from an unknown site." and they honestly thought it was still the best way to do it because they hated Apple's walled-garden approach.  What's even funnier are the fandroids that proudly say "That's why I have anti-virus running on my phone!"... A/V??!!  Really??!!  On a phone??!!

Now Google is seriously considering a more curated approach too.  That still won't stop sideloaded rogue apps.

You know, I've sometimes wondered why sideloading is considered unacceptable on smartphones and tablets when it has almost always been how one installs programs on laptops or desktops. Is installing a third party app inherently riskier on a mobile device? Or is the perceived danger of side-loading due to users tending to install more apps on their mobile devices, thereby exposing themselves more often?

• Reply 26 of 136
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    kdarling wrote: »
    Oh for goodness' sake.

1) Newbies cannot accidentally sideload an app.  They have to first go find and purposely turn on "Load from unknown sources" and on some phones, also turn off "Disallow or warn before installation of apps that may cause harm."

2) Look at the list of threats.  Almost all affect a small, targeted group that sideload an app in China or India, etc.  They include sideloaded apps aimed at Tibetan human rights activists, and my favorite,  "A fake "job offer" Android app in India informs that the user is being considered for a position at TATA Group, an Indian multinational company. To arrange the interview, the app asks for a refundable security deposit."    

Sorry, but if you're that gullible, it doesn't matter if the "threat" came from an app or a website or an email.

3) Many of these "security firms" include, as potential threats, apps like log viewers which people download on purpose.  Anything to boost the numbers.

Security reports try to scare people into buying security software.  That's their primary purpose.

"Oh for goodness' sake" .... .?

No plural possessive required, even when leaping to the defense of anything Android.
  • Reply 27 of 136
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

"Oh for goodness' sake" .... .?

No plural possessive required, even when leaping to the defense of anything Android.

It's not plural possessive.  It's singular.  "For the sake of goodness."  

In English, " 's " would not be added to a word that ends in "s" already, since the extra one would not be pronounced. ( You do not say "For goodness's sake")

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/for+goodness'+sake

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=978082

PS.  Not that I don't appreciate your attempt.  I actually believe that grammar police help everyone become more polished in their writing, which can carry over to doing better at work or school.  Just look at all the people around here who don't know the difference between "there" and "they're" and "their", or to use "its" for possessive instead of "it's" = "it is".  Cheers!

• Reply 28 of 136
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member

Sideloading enables those who know about it to do "cool things" that others can't do on their phone. 

Which leads to bragging and explaining to friends how to do it, who then show it to other friends etc.

At the end of the day, a lot of Android users end up side loading apps because someone told them to. And a lot of them don't have the knowledge to be able to discern what is a so-called "trusted source".

• Reply 29 of 136
    NO different than an iOS fanatic jailbreaking an iOS device.
  • Reply 30 of 136
    woochiferwoochifer Posts: 385member

Quote:

News flash: Android is a malware, virus infested theme park. What a surprise.

But don't worry. If you listen to the know-it-all fandroids, they will just tell you that you should always research the app you want to install and verify that it's from a site you trust. No problem right??

Then there's all the counterfeit malware designed to look like legit apps.  IIRC, a lot of those apps wound up on Google Play, where thousands of Android users would download and use the apps before Google can remove them.  Problem with "research" is that it inherently reacts after-the-fact -- after thousands of users have already downloaded the infected app.  Even now, Google relies on automated malware detection that some authors have already figured out how to circumvent.  The linked article describes a recent situation where malware authors not only circumvented Google's automated malware detection, but they also programmed the malware to automatically send positive feedback before triggering the exploit.  This in effect negates any safety through research. 

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/04/22/android_malware_badnews/

• Reply 31 of 136
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Yep... as predicted... Phanboys coming out of woodwork, and basements.

Keep telling yourself that only knowledgeable folks know how to sideload.  Keep telling yourself that "It's only in other countries, not the US", keep spinning it to deflect the subject and say "Oh look, a squirrel!!!".

Google contemplating getting into the walled-garden business just makes you guys - and your arguments - that much more sad.

• Reply 32 of 136
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    IOS vs Android
    Mac vs Windows apple wins both virus battles that is final.
  • Reply 33 of 136
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The popularity of iOS and nearly 1 million unique apps across three distinct product lines and web usage stats compared to other mobile devices really blows the whole security through obscurity cant that the Windows camp claimed was the reason Macs never got viruses despite Macs having more viruses pre-Mac OS X.

That was my, immediate, thought too.

• Reply 34 of 136
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sflocal wrote: »

Keep telling yourself that only knowledgeable folks know how to sideload.  Keep telling yourself that "It's only in other countries, not the US", keep spinning it to deflect the subject and say "Oh look, a squirrel!!!".

Google contemplating getting into the walled-garden business just makes you guys - and your arguments - that much more sad.

You have a point but it's also not "The sky is falling!!!!". No it's not good but it's also not as bad as it's made out to be. Fair enough? FYI had it been vice versa and the article stated a problem with iOS, I'd rather much believe actual users than a click bait fear provoking article.
  • Reply 35 of 136
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    sflocal wrote: »

Walled gardens are only horrible when Apple does it. When Microsoft calls their walled garden Xbox, they can't get enough of it.
  • Reply 36 of 136
    solipsismx wrote: »
    The popularity of iOS and nearly 1 million unique apps across three distinct product lines and web usage stats compared to other mobile devices really blows the whole security through obscurity cant that the Windows camp claimed was the reason Macs never got viruses despite Macs having more viruses pre-Mac OS X.

Or as Ballmer would say: "Security through rounding error."
  • Reply 37 of 136
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Walled gardens are only horrible when Apple does it. When Microsoft calls their walled garden Xbox, they can't get enough of it.

And remember when people threw a fit when Apple introduced their Mac App Store and options in Security Settings to allow all apps, MAS and Identified developer apps, or just MAS apps automatically, and very, very clearly stated that it would not disallow 3rd-part apps from being used and installed the way they have always been? Yet when Windows 8 RT which is a desktop OS did it only Mozilla has really raise their voice about it since they can't use their Gecko engine if they want to make a Firefox browser.
  • Reply 38 of 136

Quote:

Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

I remember XP was so bad when there were "drive-bys" that seemed to infect your PC by visiting top websites with malware infected ads. I'd like to see how Google would block apps that serves malware infected ads.

Yup. It's one of the reasons I switched. That, and the crashing. image

• Reply 39 of 136

Quote:

I believe proof by squirrel was used to back up one of the major theories in quantum physics. It's that sound. /s

• Reply 40 of 136
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

excellent point indeed.